Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:43 PM by luca.mg. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 16 2018 12:36 AM

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Locators: the poor child in MC!

Hi dear developpers,

the locator window, which was not great already even get worst with MC8! It is not anymore possible to close it with escape. Btw, it is also not possible to close the effect window woth esc since 8, which makes no sense to me. 

That means: you need to search for your mouse (keyboard lover here) and click on OK to close it, or on the closing cross of the effect window. Of course for the ocator window, I could deactivate the add comments function, but I actually need that function sometimes, and sometines not when b.e. I only need a locator for short time editing purpose.

More:
    When adding a locator, I need to click inside the window to write a comment? Why?
    There are only 2 possibilities when I add a locator:
    1-> I just need the locator and would like to click escape and KEEP that locator. 
    or
    2-> I add a locator and would like to write a text. Immedialtely. Without needing to click the test field.

More:
    It is impossible to get rid of unneeded columns or to move the order of the columms. As the actual comment is at the end, I need to open the window wide to see the comments and loose space. Worst of it: if you print the locators and some text lines are a bit longer, it will not be printed.

Yes, the locator window is the poor kid of MC...

Thanks for your work.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Wed, Jan 17 2018 8:37 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,261
    • Points 61,755

Re: Locators: the poor child in MC!

Sylvaan, have You tinkered with the locator's options? (locator's window hamburger menu). You can disable locator pop up when adding a locator with a single keystroke, while by tapping twice on the add locator key the locator will open and be ready for typing. As for the locators window columns I secon Your request.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 11:25 AM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 2:51 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Annoying is that you cannot close the locator window after typing with a short cut.
    By example - Shift-Reurn would be an easy one. 

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:42 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,261
    • Points 61,755

CTRL w

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 5:47 PM In reply to

Sylvaan:
    It is impossible to get rid of unneeded columns or to move the order of the columms. As the actual comment is at the end, I need to open the window wide to see the comments and loose space. Worst of it: if you print the locators and some text lines are a bit longer, it will not be printed.
    +1    long overdue.

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 1:10 PM In reply to

luca.mg:

Sylvaan, have You tinkered with the locator's options? (locator's window hamburger menu). You can disable locator pop up when adding a locator with a single keystroke, while by tapping twice on the add locator key the locator will open and be ready for typing. As for the locators window columns I secon Your request.

Luca- Thanks for the “tapping twice” tip- can’t wait to try it.

I agree that the columns should be customizable, like regular MC Bins.

Also, I noticed recently that if you are showing TC (Start and End) with Spanned Markers,

you do NOT see those END column TC’s when you Export the Marker window in a Text File...

( please check this on your system) and if it is indeed missing, could we please get that?

i’d love it if there was a way to send Sequence Markers “backwards” to sub clips

, Groups Clips, Masterclips as a way of archiving important info that only appeared in a Sequence Marker.

... And yes, I too preferred calling the whole shebang Locators, rather than Markers.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 1:46 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

Telegramm, did you manage by export of the locaters - Locators sound definitively better than markers Wink - with the complete texts, I mean also when a line is a bit longer? With me, the texts will be truncated. I wonder if I missed something there. Thanks.

And yes, the tapping twice is cool  Stick out tongue

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 7:55 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,261
    • Points 61,755

Sorry for the misnaming, IIRC Locators was the name of Markers before the Avid restyling.

As for the printing issue, I did not check, did You try to print in landscape?

peace luca

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 9:19 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    You try to print in landscape?
    I use Landscape.  Extravagent use of paper for a long g project. Wink

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 9:38 PM In reply to

• Sylvaan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 13
    • Points 170

I tried printing with landscape. Texts still truncated.
    But actually I just realised that there is an easy workaround. Export text, adjust as you need the long lines and then print. 

• Thu, Jan 18 2018 11:22 PM In reply to

I was not interested in printing... I just could not see the spanned Marker END TC in the exported landscape TXT File. Thanks for checking, if you can...

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 19 2018 2:43 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,261
    • Points 61,755

Sylvaan:
    Annoying is that you cannot close the locator window after typing

Closing the locator window with 'numpad Enter' is back on MC 2018.1!

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller