Latest post Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:28 PM by RalphC. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 11 2018 6:28 PM

• farhadd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 27 2010
    • Posts 32
    • Points 425

MC 8.10 non-standard resolution export / reimport bug

I confirmed this issue on a clean installation with new user settings and different source media files (in case one was corrupt to begin with). It's easy to replicate. We are on Mac Pro 2013 cylinders and Mac OS 10.12.6. We have seen this issue in MC 8.9.4 as well as 8.10 (I haven’t tested anything else).

If you export a .mov from the Avid at a non-standard resolution (e.g. 1920x816, 1920x776), it seems that the file it creates is somehow corrupt. Yes, it will play fine in VLC, QT player, etc, but if you try to link or import it back into MC it will either cause the application to crash or it will throw errors. I’ve posted prores samples at http://filedepot.bluerockny.com (username avid password bug):

1080_avid.mov (this is a letterboxed output exported from MC- works just fine across everything including bringing back into MC)

816_avid.mov (this is the non-standard resolution exported from MC- if you try to bring this back into MC it doesn’t work properly)

816_QT7.mov (I took the 816_avid.mov file into QT7 and exported it again to the same codec and resolution- you’ll find that this file works fine when you try to bring back into MC).

So the workaround is to massage the output by re-exporting from QT7 to force it to rewrite the file (not save as; otherwise the data is just copied and the problem still happens in MC).

Please take a look and see what you can make of this.

• Fri, Jan 12 2018 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: MC 8.10 non-standard resolution export / reimport bug

I can confirm this is the same on a PC system using a current build.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:28 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,418
    • Points 15,425
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC 8.10 non-standard resolution export / reimport bug

Hi Pat,

I opened a support case put on CC, case number 03376225

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller