Latest post Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:31 PM by Darryl Johnson. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 4 2018 8:33 PM

Active File System on an Expansion Engine

How do you add an active file system to an expansion engine that isn't a System Director? we are adding a 3rd engine to a system with 2 engines setup with System Director resiliency. I cannot bind our expansion engine because the storage manager on the expansion engine does see a drive. The raid has been initialized, but there's no active file system. The manual says to stop System Director and run the control panel to add an active system, but that's not on this chassis because it's not a Director.

This is a 5000-64 engine being added to 2 existing 5000-32 engines.

MC 7 with Symphony/ Macbook Pro Retina/ OS X/ 2.4 GHz i7/ 8 GB/ PC, Windows 7/ 2.2 GHz Quad core i7/ 16GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 5 2018 1:57 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Active File System on an Expansion Engine

The details on the steps to add a resilient system director are on page 88 of the Avid ISIS | 5500 Setup Guide.

This will require a System Director license and software to be on the engine you're adding.

If you add the 64TB engine to the current storage group made up of 32TB engines, the 64TB will only have 32TB useable. It should be added as a separate storage group.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 8:51 PM In reply to

We already have resiliency setup on the 2 32TB engines. We are trying to add a 3rd engine that's 64TB. Since Director isn't on this engine I'm not sure how to install an active file system.

MC 7 with Symphony/ Macbook Pro Retina/ OS X/ 2.4 GHz i7/ 8 GB/ PC, Windows 7/ 2.2 GHz Quad core i7/ 16GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:23 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Have you installed the ISIS Expansion Chassis software on the 64TB engine and followed the steps on Page 118 in the Avid ISIS | 5500 Setup Guide

The chassis expansion chassis should show up in the storage managers.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 5 2018 9:31 PM In reply to

Yes, up until it's time to bind it which fails because there's no file system. The guide only describes how to add the file system on an engine that has director installed.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller