Latest post Fri, Sep 28 2018 10:14 PM by mwatech. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 13 2017 12:09 PM

• ctomo1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 15 2012
    • Posts 21
    • Points 245

ISIS 5000 - failed drive 'Unconfigured Good'

Hi,

We had a problem where our ISIS 5000 would not display properly on a monitor (really glitchy) and we couldn't stop the system director so just had to shut down using the power button on the front panel. We've rebooted and it's back online and functioning, but one of the disks now has a red light. The system log reports these problems on startup:

Disk/spare PD(0:9) in slot 6 negotiated link speed is 3gb and does not match base speed 0gb! Will not use it!

Disk PD(0:9) in slot 6 does not match link speed of disks in existing arrays, will not use as spare

Found physical disk PD(0:9) slot 6 that cannot be used as spare.

Storage Manager at ISIS5000, SM001: Hot spare drive is missing

According to the MegaRAID Storage Manager all other drives are listed as 'Online', the failed drive is 'Unconfigured Good' and nothing is listed as Global Hot Spare.

My first thought is that we need to replace the drive, but just wondering if 'Unconfgured Good' means that we can somehow reuse this drive? I can't find any info on what that term means.

I'm still fairly new to looking after the ISIS system, so any help appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sat, Oct 14 2017 3:30 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,217
    • Points 27,410
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: ISIS 5000 - failed drive 'Unconfigured Good'

You can certainly try to add the disk back as the global hot spare.  I'd worry that the disk might actually be bad and when you need to use it, it won't be usable.

Ensure you're running ISIS 4.7.11 and the latest MegaRAID Storage Manager software.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Oct 17 2017 10:02 AM In reply to

• ctomo1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 15 2012
    • Posts 21
    • Points 245

Thanks Bob,

Does that mean the ISIS may successfully rebuild with the drive as the global hot spare but that we could risk loosing data? If it's safer to replace the drive then we'll do that.

We are running ISIS 4.7.11 but I can't check the MegaRAID Storage Manager at the moment because the glitchy display problem has returned (I'd hoped the restart had solved this but it hasn't). The System Logs are reporting the following warning around every 10 minutes:

Application popup: bdsetup.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application.

This basically renders the monitor output completely unusable - we can't shut down the System Director to restart, access the MegaRAID Storage Manager etc.

Can you help with this at all?

Thanks,

Holly

• Wed, Oct 18 2017 9:44 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,217
    • Points 27,410
    • Avid Employee

You should be able to setup remote desktop to access the system from another computer is the video graphics is going bad.

Without seeing what MegaRaid software is reporting it's difficult for me to know for sure if the drive is still good.  

You might have a bigger problem and should contact support.

• Sat, Nov 18 2017 6:22 PM In reply to

• mwatech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2011
    • Posts 19
    • Points 165

Hey Guys - 

I have what may be a related issue and was wondering if you had a solve for this that might help me out.  I have a beloved 5500 and the new drives I got as spares are 6GB/s instead of the usual 3GB/s, and even when jumpered to be 3GB/s, the Isis wont recognize them  And throws an Invalid Disk config, Disk Performance Degraded, even though the MegaRaid is happy with it.  

Any ideas?

• Sat, Nov 18 2017 6:53 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,217
    • Points 27,410
    • Avid Employee

mwatech:

I have what may be a related issue and was wondering if you had a solve for this that might help me out.  I have a beloved 5500 and the new drives I got as spares are 6GB/s instead of the usual 3GB/s, and even when jumpered to be 3GB/s, the Isis wont recognize them  And throws an Invalid Disk config, Disk Performance Degraded, even though the MegaRaid is happy with it. 

The ISIS | 5500 will only accept Avid Branded drives; you can't use off the shelf drives.

• Fri, Sep 28 2018 10:14 PM In reply to

• mwatech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2011
    • Posts 19
    • Points 165

Just to follow up, it turned out my drives were 6GB/s and the ISIS wanted 3GB/s, so I jumpered it and all went smoothly.  These are Avid branded drives, I guess my ISIS 5000 is just a bit older.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller