Latest post Mon, Feb 12 2018 3:44 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 5 2017 7:59 AM

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 26 2013
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

Hard disk doesn't show up in Consolidate/Transcode Window

Hi There

I’m fighting with a very strange issue.

Basically Avid MC doesn’t detect my hard disk. I can open the Avid project located on the hard disk. And I can link files from the hard disk (source browser sees it). But the consolidate/transcode window doesn’t see it.

I’m working on Avid 8.8.5, OS 10.12.5 and my footage is XAVC Long GOP.

What I tried to resolve the issue without any luck:
    - Restarting Avid & computer many times
    - Checking permissions on the hard disk
    - Tried different Avid workstation: Avid 8.4.3 on OS Yosemite
    - Switching User profile
    - Switching USB 3 cable
    - Deleting the mmob files on the hard disk
    - Hiding the Avid MediaFiles Folder on the hard disk in order to force Avid to create a new one
    - Linking the footage on one disk and transcoding to another (new one)

I got to the point where I abandoned my Avid project and the hard disk I was working on. I got a new hard disk, created a new project and started all over. The new hard disk actually showed up. But after some time, the issue was back: the hard disk didn’t showed up any more.

Does that mean there is a problem with my footage?

Thank you for every hint!

iMac Retina OSX 10.12.5 Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 5 2017 4:14 PM In reply to

Re: Hard disk doesn't show up in Consolidate/Transcode Window

How is the drive formatted?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 17 2017 12:37 PM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

Hi Kevin

All drives are formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

iMac Retina OSX 10.12.5 Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 17 2017 3:07 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,675

Have a look in the Media Creation settings at the 'Drive Filtering' tab. If the 'Filter Drives...' checkbox is ticked, this might be filtering out the drive for consolidating or transcoding operations.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 22 2017 5:30 PM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

Hi Bruno, thanks for your suggestion. But there is no tick in the 'Drive Filtering' tab. And the issue just appeared again on a completely different computer with a different hard disk, different project and different user settings. Luckily this time I could get the hard disk back by restarting the Avid. Am I the only one with this problem?

• Mon, Oct 30 2017 3:06 PM In reply to

• bas3000
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 24 2014
    • Posts 11
    • Points 125

Hey Simon,

We've been having these same problems with a number of computers here.

There's an active thread about this problem (I'm assuming) right here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/179512.aspx

No solutions whatsoever until now though...

-Bas

• Mon, Oct 30 2017 3:21 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

We have seen issues sort of like this with various drive models.  One example is the OWC Mercury Pro.  Depending on how that drive is formatted and initialized, we have seen that drive not be visible to Avid.

Sorry for lack of detail, but this is possibly a clue for folks having a problem.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Nov 1 2017 6:23 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 35
    • Points 515

Can you elaborate on the "how that drive is formatted and initialized"?

I have been unable to resolve this problem on my G-RAID (though mostly able to work around it) and am still looking for clues.

Do I read you to say that you could replicate this problem, and also solve it, depending on "how that drive is formatted and initialized"?

Thanks,

C-King

MC 2018.3 on 8-Core trashcan Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.11.6, G-RAID Studio XL TB2 RAID MC 2018.3 on tbMPB15, 16GB, 10.12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 2 2017 2:00 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

Sorry for the slow response.

I can not remember the details.  But when we got some OWC drives, they had a script that ran an "intialize" program.  We determined that this was causing the drives to not be visible in all cases.  When we manually formated and intialized the drives, all was well.

This was on Mac OS awhile ago.

So I wonder if by extension, something similar could be going on in your situation.

Sorry I can not offer more.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Dec 4 2017 10:35 AM In reply to

• Simon
    • Not Ranked
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

Hi Bas

Thank you for pointing me to the other thread. I will follow this closely and hope for a solution.

Simon

• Mon, Jan 29 2018 9:57 PM In reply to

• EditChamp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 29 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I have been reading the threads in hopes of of finding that someone has solved this one.  I haven't had any success.  I assume Avid is still working on this one.  Soooo, what has worked for me 100% of the time is to change the drive name to X.  It then sees it.  I am not saying this is a total solution to the probelm, but I believe it points us in a right direction.  I don't know exactly why this works.  So I don't know if it's a matter or name size, spaces, special characters or what.  I plan to do more research, but again wanted to see if anyone else had more information.  I hope this helps anyone that's researching this.

• Wed, Feb 7 2018 6:25 PM In reply to

• C-King
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 35
    • Points 515

I'm intrigued. At what point are you changing the drive name, and where? At the finder level, and while MC is running, or between runs? Do you have media on this drive, and if so, do you then need to relink?

I've sometimes been able to solve the problem by not mounting the drives until MC is running. But lately this is not working, OTOH, sometimes when MC crashes, when I relaunch the problem is gone.

Thanks! Any clue may lead to a solution...

MC 2018.3 on 8-Core trashcan Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, 10.11.6, G-RAID Studio XL TB2 RAID MC 2018.3 on tbMPB15, 16GB, 10.12.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:14 PM In reply to

• EditChamp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 29 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I have gotten this to work with MC running and not running.  As I stated earlier, this is not a complete solution because you will still have to deal with any linking issues.  It's been a couple of weeks now, but what was interesting, and I am stating this from memory, I was in Transcode and changed it. It then showed as "X" and I was able to transcode. Again, this all seemed not usual and didn't agree with how I know Avid to work.  Again, I hope this helps.

• Thu, Feb 8 2018 8:34 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 515
    • Points 5,920

That is super interesting.  I have an OWC drive that Premiere can't see.  This is on multiple computers.  I think I will avoid their hard drives from now on.

jef:

Sorry for the slow response.

I can not remember the details.  But when we got some OWC drives, they had a script that ran an "intialize" program.  We determined that this was causing the drives to not be visible in all cases.  When we manually formated and intialized the drives, all was well.

This was on Mac OS awhile ago.

So I wonder if by extension, something similar could be going on in your situation.

Sorry I can not offer more.

Jef

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 10 2018 4:00 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

pianoman72:

That is super interesting.  I have an OWC drive that Premiere can't see.  This is on multiple computers.  I think I will avoid their hard drives from now on.

I would not say that is necessary.  We have had good luck with their products.  Just a small bump we had to figure out.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller