Latest post Thu, Sep 7 2017 6:24 PM by BobRusso. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 3:15 PM

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 52
    • Points 585

Enter Network Password Incorrect password or unknown username for: window

Ever since we installed our Isis 5500, our Windows 7 Media Composers have encountered this window when addressing the Isis workspaces directly, rather than through MC. 

If you try to add, remove or view a file on any of the Isis drives directly from the OS, it pops up.  Repeatedly.  There is never a problem with completing the action and the window is just cancelled.  But, it bugs me.

I assume (trouble, I know) that it happens because we are using the Avid Client and not Windows to mount the workspaces as drives.  Is there a way to make the Isis OS happy or do we just continue Cancelling the (sometimes dozens of) windows when thay pop up?

Media Composer v2018.8 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 15 2017 9:01 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,248
    • Points 27,775
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Enter Network Password Incorrect password or unknown username for: window

If you're using ISIS 4.7.5 or later, and you really should be, I suggest using the NEXIS client. It is available on the Avid Download Center.

What has likely happened is that someone has navigated to the ISIS via Network in Windows Explorer and mounted a workspace.

The default behavior in Windows is to Reconnect at sign-in. Workspaces shouldn't be mounted in this way, they should only be mounted via the Client Manager.

You should go into Windows Explorer and delete shortcut in Quick Access and disconnect the network drive.

There's no issue using a workspace with Windows Explorer to copy files to/from it. Just ensure the workspace is mounted via the Client Manager.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Aug 17 2017 12:24 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 52
    • Points 585

I downloaded an updated client to test on a lesser-used editor, only to find it did not have the issue to begin with.  Then I tried the computer I use to manage the Isis, which also didn't have the issue.  Finally, I just went to my primary MC, which does have this window popping up, but the updated client provided no improvement.

Returning to investigate the two computers that didn't have the problem, I discovered on both, every workspace on the Isis was shown as a network share, even without the client.  I could access everything via the shares.

Given an either/or choice, I would rather have my editors keep cancelling the user name and password windows than have everyone with unrestricted access to every workspace on the system.  Hopefully, there is a third option somewhere.

Media Composer v2018.8 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 7 2017 6:24 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,248
    • Points 27,775
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

If you look at my previous e-mail what I believe is happening is that a user navigated to the ISIS and logged in. This would allow for the workspaces to be mounted as network share with the reconnect at sign-in selected. This is why you would be receiving this error.

A different issue is how the client driver behaves. When a user signs into the client manager, all the workspaces that user has permissions for will be available as a Network share via an UNC path. Signing out or quitting the Client Manager will leave the workspaces available. A different user needs to sign-in or the computer needs to be restarted. Ultimately the driver needs to be quit to for the workspaces to be unmounted.  

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller