Latest post Wed, Jan 3 2018 7:58 PM by stephanef. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 20 2017 12:17 PM

"Can't be linked" - all formats on one system

Having difficulty with one system (not one in my profile - it's at a workplace).  On this one system, the linking flow isn't working right.  Normal QuickTime MOV files (ProRes) show as "Can't be linked" in the Source Browser.  I can't Opt+drag or manually select the QuickTime plugin to get it to work.

For other formats, such as AVCHD, when I switch to view folders as Media Volumes, I still have to drill down to the individual MTS files, and even then, can't link them.

On other systems, this works fine.

It's MC 8.8.4 - I've tried uninstall/install, and creating a new user.  This system is macOS 10.9.5, so I understand that might be a factor - would rather try any other troubleshooting steps anyone can think of before upgrading the whole OS.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 21 2017 2:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,176
    • Points 217,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: "Can't be linked" - all formats on one system

If you right-click on the file in the SB, do you get any options under "Link with..."???

I think you want to turn off automatic volume mounting. Its in Source Browser - Options - Volume mounting tab.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 1:44 PM In reply to

In the SB, everything defaults to "Can't be linked."  I right-click, and I see the list of options that would normally be associated with any given format (Autodetect, QuickTime, XDCam, AVCHD, etc.), but when I select one, it snaps back to "Can't be linked."

Automatically link is indeed turned off.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 17 2017 10:58 AM In reply to

• kibailey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 2 2017
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

I am gettingthis behaviour on 8.8.5.   I originally had failures on P2 linking (no audio).  Forums advised removing plugins and reinstalling.  Now all P2 and RED test footage Cannot be Linked.  No options under right-click Link With.   Quicktime movies link okay however.   RED footage resolved.   P2 DVCHD PRO flavour still Cannot be linked.

• Wed, Oct 18 2017 3:28 AM In reply to

I'm having the same problem on Avid 8.90 and it's driving me crazy. I converted all the clips to QT with DNXxHD codex and it still can't link the files

• Wed, Oct 18 2017 8:35 AM In reply to

Working fine after bumping the OS up to at least Yosemite.

• Wed, Jan 3 2018 7:58 PM In reply to

• stephanef
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 28 2017
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I met the same problem. After hours searching, I finally realized that I had / and * in file names in the path to my media !

Just had to do some typing and it works fine now.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller