Latest post Tue, Jan 24 2017 12:19 PM by Phil Norris. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 28 2016 2:03 PM

Drives mounting without client manager

Hi,

I am working in an Interplay 3.1 environment.

Let's say I have interplay USER_1 that has read & write access configured to workspaces on DRIVE_1 and DRIVE_2.

These workspaces are also available as ordinary windows SMB shares, I can mount them as such. So if I have a project in Composer with media stored on DRIVE_2, MC is still allowed to read the data off the drive even if it is not mounted via client manager as FOS. This will of course show clips in sequences that are online even if the drive is not online as far as client manager is concerened. Not very useful.

Unfortunatley - I don't have full access as an administrator, but is it possible to deny a windows network cifs/smb client share to Media Composer so that it allows the so called client manager to soley manage client access?

• Tue, Jan 3 2017 9:35 AM In reply to

Re: Drives mounting without client manager

What is your virtual system director name and what is the host name you use for the SMB shares?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jan 6 2017 11:53 AM In reply to

Hi Jeroen,

They are the same, but I'm not sure if they are also meant to be. Windows remembers the client connections to all of the workspaces negotiated by client manager, logging off has no effect, and windows connects on its own until I restart the PC.

Question is if this is a misconfiguration because of something like hostname being the same as VSD, a windows thing, or wether or not it is a typical 'feature' of the static nature of many of the avid services.

I want to flush some buffer and wake up - fresh and shut out of the places I once visited unless I'm logged in via client manager.

• Thu, Jan 19 2017 7:17 PM In reply to

The practice of getting users assigned into proper access groups in the Shared Storage should restrict access to the restricted workspaces when and where the Windows Logon used by the user is the one that you want restricted.

The shared storage "management" is all based on the user credentials provide to the shared storage interface be it operating system or via the client connection manager software.  If logon user == joe is in a group that is not allowed to see workspace == special projects unless joe used a credentials set for a user that does have access.

One does not need to run the Avid Client Manager to mount shared storage workspaces.  The window commands below can be deployed 

Letter Mapping

net use  Z:   \\<<Virtual_System_Director>>\<<Workspace_Name   <<JOE_USER_PASSWORD>>  /USER:joe   /PERSISTENT:YES

UNC

net use  \\<<Virtual_System_Director>>\<<Workspace_Name  <<JOE_USER_PASSWORD>>  /USER:joe     /PERSISTENT:YES

The above will mount the workspace to the desired Drive letter or as a UNC path for user == joe.  This is the same functionality that in the the connection manager. 

We have done this for some servers where we needed to limit the number of workspaces with a user == serverLimitedUser and assigned only a few key workspaces with read/write access in the shared storage management. Making the service and the host logon with that user resulted in the desired limited access to workspaces.  This seems similar to the thread's desire end result.

See   net   use  /help for the command options.

14.00 800x600

Regards,

Dave Pineault
    Snr. Principal Expert Cust Care | CC Delivery 2

Avid
    65 Network Drive
    Burlington, MA 01803
    United States Of America
    dave.pineault@avid.com

Shape the Future of Our Industry: Join the ACA  
    www.avidcustomerassociation.com
    Avid Connect 2017
    April 22-23, 2017 | Wynn, Las Vegas

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
  • Thu, Jan 19 2017 8:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,214
    • Points 218,170
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks for jumping in Dave !!!!  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 19 2017 10:14 PM In reply to

Hi Phil,

Hostname and VSD (Virtual system director) name HAVE to be different. This is why you have this issue. Clients with ISIS client installed will see the workspaces when using the hostname of the server even when you do not use the client.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jan 24 2017 12:19 PM In reply to

Hi Dave and Jeroen,

Thanks for the replies.

Dave - When you say 'One does not need to run the Avid Client Manager to mount shared storage workspaces.' and then show a net command to create a mapped network drive - then we are connecting to a samba share yes? as in browse network and double click any servers broadcasting on the LAN and log in as a regular smb share.

If this is correct, then what are the advantages of connecting via the Client manager? The filesystem flag is set as FOS, but am I to understand that it's 'just' a regular samba share?

Jeroen - I thought so too. As far as the windows user is concerned - they have no access to ISIS - so if we mount ISIS via the client manager with some priveledged user and then log off, it looks as if we have no access - but in fact, we can still be mounted via samba in a regular fashion as windows cannot differentiate between the hostname and the VSD and is using 'FOS' samba shares in any case.

So the options are that we can stop this behaviour by changing the name of the VSD to allow client manager to shut out users that are logged off effectively?

Or we can just stop using client manager and log onto the server via samba.

I prefer the latter as it is less complicated and leaves less room for errors - two ways to connect is always going to yield twice as many errors, unless I'm missing out on something invaluable about FOS. I admit that I never read about it - but can't find anything useful with a google either.

Just for fun - I see too samba and apache in the Interplay disclaimer - so a linux box with webmin would work just as well with Avid as it does with other NLE's :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller