Latest post Tue, Nov 1 2005 4:41 PM by AK-Jake. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 31 2005 7:16 PM

Idea [I] Mute / Solo VIDEO & effects

For MCA and Xpress -

1.)  The "top down" approach for layer visibility in the timeline is obsolete and should be replaced / swappable with a "mute / solo" or more appropriate "visible / invisible" layer arrangement.  Layers should be able to be moved up or down as well.  Can you imagine Photoshop and AfterEffects with "top down" only and non-movable layers!?!? 

2.)  Users should be able to drag multiple effects to a clip without the unnecessary "nesting" process.  Perhaps effects icons could be displayed next to each-other on the clip in the timeline.  Also, the effects editor should be able to display multiple effects, as in AfterEffects or Final Cut Pro.  The user should be able to arrange the order of those effects without having to go through the cumborsome process of nesting to apply multiple effects to one clip.  Obvisouly, there are many times when nesting becomes necessary but for the basic task of putting two or more effects (say, a color effect, 3D-warp, and a glow) on one clip is much more time consuming then it needs to be with Avid.

MY OPINION:

These two features are the main reason I now prefer the Final Cut Pro interface to Avid's.  Learn the shortcuts and they're both great, speedy editors but FCP still blows MCA out of the water in terms of effects manipulation and compositing.

Thank you.

DS / Symphony Nitris dual-boot on dual-Xeon HP wx8200, 3GB RAM, 2.5TB MediArray local storage and Unity 4.1.1. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2005 1:50 PM In reply to

Re: Mute / Solo VIDEO & effects

Regarding your number 1 issue about solo video monitoring, if you CTRL + click on the video monitor icon next to any given video track(s), the icon turns green and ONLY the contents of that video layer(s) are displayed.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Nov 1 2005 4:41 PM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,130

Re: Mute / Solo VIDEO & effects

100% in agreement with you regarding Effects handling.  I have been asking for the same method for years.  I don't know about your #1 request, though, because I personally have no problems with working in a "top-to-bottom visibility" timeline.

I still want Segment Modes to go away, or at least allow us to turn them off and use the Avid interface in a true click-and-drag method.

I also want to be able to just click-and-drag effects to an Avid title and affect that title without affecting the background.  You can do it now, it's just asininely difficult to do.

But I can still use the Avid interface just the way it is, too.  As always, I can't wait to see what new goodies they have up their sleeves.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller