Latest post Wed, Jul 6 2016 10:09 PM by Shannon Zawartka. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 5 2016 8:47 PM

Best practice for importing new media to ISIS?

Traditionally importing new media into Avid my workflow is to transcode externally, put my media into a dated folder in my Avid MediaFiles folder (eg Avid MediaFiles>MXF>20160705), open Avid and allow the MediaFiles folder to index, then drag the resulting .mdb file into a new bin. Transcoding externally is an extra step over just transcoding in Avid, but I do this to get a bit more organization in my MediaFiles folder.

I was wondering if it is possible to replicate this workflow on an ISIS setup. I am using an ISIS 1000 and I noticed that when I import media from within Avid, it creates a folder based on which user is importing the media, and then dumps the media to there. If I create a folder within that user folder, it won't index; if I try to create my "own" user folder (using the same convention, ie TestUser.1), it won't index that either, which tells my Avid project keeps a list of real users and checks against that. I am able, of course, to drop my files directly into the root user file, but this would defeat the purpose of having my MediaFiles folder sorted in a meaningful way.

So I'm wondering how to make a folder that Avid will index, or how do I tell it that I want to index a particular folder.

Thanks so much for any help! 

iMac | 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 | 20GB DD3 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB | Yosemite 10.10.5 Macbook Pro | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 5 2016 9:22 PM In reply to

Re: Best practice for importing new media to ISIS?

"... which tells my Avid project keeps a list of real users and checks against that ..."

This is not exactly correct.  If the computer name & folder name match, Avid will scan & index the files.

"... it creates a folder based on which user is importing the media ..."

To be more specific, the folder name matches your computer name.  If your computer is named EditBay1, then the folder will be named:

Avid MediaFiles\MXF\EditBay1.x where x starts with 1, and increases from there.

If/when the ".1" folder reaches approx 5,000 files, Avid automatically creates the ".2" folder, and so on.  With multiple folders, Avid will write to the lowest numbered folder with less han 5,000 files.

Note:  You can only "Write" to folders that match your computer name.  "Write" can mean capturing, importing, transcoding, or, even just building new databases.

If you are manually copying MXF files into a folder, the extension can be any string of numbers.  In the example above, using the date, the folder would be:

Avid MediaFiles\MXF\EditBay1.20160705. 

To answer your last question, you can't tell Avid to scan & index any specific folder.  Avid will scan & index any and all folders that are named correctly, and don't have valid databases.  As long as you maintain the naming convention, Avid will recognize the MXF files, and it will scan & index them.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:35 PM In reply to

Oh fascinating! So if I have multiple users who've imported files to this project, but I direct dump to their folder instead of my own - Avid doesn't index their user folders, just mine? One thing I don't understad about the ISIS is why it's making these user folders to begin with. Why does it care which user uploaded what? Don't I want my Avid to index everything?

And THANK YOU, now I can create my own folders and sort them as I like! I am quite excited to learn about this! And in hindsight I wish I would have thought of this - it's essentially createing the Avid MediaFiles > MXF > 1 folder. 

iMac | 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 | 20GB DD3 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB | Yosemite 10.10.5 Macbook Pro | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:51 PM In reply to

Typically, you should manually copy to a folder that matches your computer name.  If necessary, you can temporariliy rename a folder to match your computer name, just to accomplish the scanning & indexing, and then rename it back.  However, unless there's a reason to organize the files by computer name, it really doesn't matter where they end up.

"... why it's making these user folders to begin with ..."

Avid is constantly monitoring for changes in media files, either additions or deletions.  When necessary, it rescans & indexes to update the database files.  If multiple systems were all writing to the same folder, Avid would be going nuts trying to manage the database files.  By having each system write to it's uniquely named folder, there is no conflict.

"... Why does it care which user uploaded what? ..."

Actually it doesn't care who created the media.  Avid is only looking for valid media databases.  The folder names are transparent, except when writing/creating media.  So, Avid looks "through" the folder and if it finds valid databases, it loads them.  If it finds no databases, or an imcorrect databases, it scans & indexes to generate new/correct ones.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jul 5 2016 11:21 PM In reply to

> Avid is constantly monitoring for changes in media files, either additions or deletions.

Ah yeah that's correct, I tend to think of Avid as checking the database on launch, and forget that it is constantly aware of things of any changes made. I know that's definitely aware, since if I dump media into my user folder while the Avid is open, it seems to become unstable and so I close out the Avid first. 

One other question while I've got you on the line - another method I tried for importing, when I was fussing around with this user folder stuff, was the AMA > transcode in Avid workflow, which I haven't done a great deal of. I had some problems doing AMA link from C300 camera cards, when I select all of the clip folders and try to bring them in, I get the error "AMA Manager - Failure getting the OS volume ID for this volume" ... when I google this error, what I come up with is problems related to to drive formatting, not using external drives, and also I do get some hits on C300 camera cards. I hesitate to blame it all on the C300's folder structure however, because curiously I am able to bring in about 20 of these clips from their folders. For the other 200 odd clips however, I had to manually go into each of their folders, select the mxf, and AMA link. But how could it be a drive issue? I'm using an ISIS which will be formatted to whatever spec Avid likes ... and we've also AMA linked in some footage from other cameras, FS7 etc, without issue. 

• Wed, Jul 6 2016 1:16 AM In reply to

The workflow we use here at BET, and I also use at home, is to copy the entire card to a hard drive.  We use an Isilon here at work, and I use a large RAID-6 system at home.  We/I keep the "camera masters" on these drives until the project is out the door.  when copying, do not modify anything on the card, just copy the whole thing to a folder.  Then, do the AMA Link & Transcode from there.  The structure on disk might look like this:

•Name of Project

•Shoot Date

•Camera#

•Card#

•Contents (do not modify anything here)

Also, do you format the cards in camera before each use?  I typically do.  Not just to empty the card, but a format is also a quick diagnostic.

(wwld)

• Wed, Jul 6 2016 5:27 PM In reply to

Yes, I use that identical folder structure actually. The content files I have are the original folder structure from the camera card itself. I can't AMA link the folders in. I wonder if it's an ISIS issue or something C300 related?

We do not provide camera cards to the camera department, so I can't say for sure if camera is formatting before use, but I sure hope they are, it's a pretty good standard practice! I think I will add that to my tech specs to go out to camera department though, just in case! 

• Wed, Jul 6 2016 7:14 PM In reply to

Make sure you're using the correct AMA Plugin for your MC version and OS version.  Other than that it should just work.

(wwld)

• Wed, Jul 6 2016 10:09 PM In reply to

Ahah the Canon AMA driver! I thought I had installed it but it appears I had not. Installed and now everything AMA links fine, from the folder level. 

Thanks so much for your help Randall! 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller