Latest post Fri, Jun 24 2016 3:17 PM by ShadenFreude. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 23 2016 1:11 AM

• alberg99
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 13 2015
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Stereo exported as 5.1

Hi all. Excuse my ignorance on this subject in advanced, but I have never worked with 5.1 audio before.

I am delivering files to a distributor and the deliverables state that they want both a stereo mix and a 5.1 mix.

I know the camera recorded 5.1 but I did the orginal mix in stereo as I've never delt with 5.1. That being said, I did notice that on export I can select exporting the audio as 5.1 or even 7,1. By selecting this would this basically just do a 5.1 export but only use the L and R channels? I don't have a way to monitor this and I don't know if this would be acceptable or if I have to go back and do a 5.1 mix.

Also, the stereo M&E and dialogue tracks have all been QCd already so if I switch to a 5.1 mix, do I have to submit that new mix to be QCd again?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Best,

Allen

• Fri, Jun 24 2016 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: Stereo exported as 5.1

I doubt your distributor will accept this.  You should have sent this off to a dub and have it mixed 5.1 and be R128 compliant( if required), I.E.  6 channels of audio. L,R,C, LFe, Lr, Rr.  The centre channel is for dialogue only.  Nothing else should be on it.  L+R are for music effects location sound etc.  Left and right rear for atmos and Lf for low frequency sounds.  I believe Pro Tools do a plug-in to create suedo 5.1.  Might be worth looking in to that.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller