Latest post Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:32 PM by BobRusso. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 1 2016 3:23 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 383
    • Points 4,930

Anyone running a Nexis E2 or E4 yet?

Any feedback? Working well?

Thanks.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:18 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Anyone running a Nexis E2 or E4 yet?

Do you have a specific question that I can help with?

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Tue, Jun 7 2016 9:15 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 383
    • Points 4,930

Hey there,

Sure. I'm about to purchase one as soon as this week. An E4 with 120TB. I'm kinda hesitant to spend the money on a product that I've never even seen in action. I've seen the pictures and the unit in a rack at NAB but I've not heard one person say "yes, it works well. I like it." And of course my Avid rep is going to say it's great.

Will it work for a studio with 10 users all running DNxHD36 with Media Composer? I'd imagine yes but I'd sure love to hear from someone at a facility that has at least 10 users on an E4 or several E2s. 

Thanks.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 14 2016 5:49 PM In reply to

We got ours up and running on the 8th of june..

what is there to say... runs as expected, no issues.

Worth knowning.. your windows clients needs to be updated (that can take some time for those of us that doesn't do the windows update) or the nexis client wont work.

Better protection, you can select 2 parity drives for your workspace, very very handy.

NEXIS is headless, so you can only control it remotely (no keyboard/Screen)

• Fri, Jul 15 2016 11:32 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 383
    • Points 4,930

Thanks for the feedback. I got our E4 120TB last week and have been migrating data to it. No editing done yet but am pleased so far with the management.  We will be using 2 parity drives for all workspaces seeing how expensive a spare drive costs.

• Tue, Jul 19 2016 6:24 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

Kjeldsen Kjeldsen:

Worth knowning.. your windows clients needs to be updated (that can take some time for those of us that doesn't do the windows update) or the nexis client wont work.

Microsoft deprecated their SHA 1 Certificate with Windows 10 which requires Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 to be updated.

In order for any software to work on Windows 10, (the client in this case) Avid had to update the cert to SHA2. This is the case for any software with a SHA 1 cert.

The SHA 2 update for Microsoft Certs was first offered in October of 2014 as a patch Tuesday update. It was removed because some companies were having issues with it.

It was then offered in a Patch Tuesday update in March 2015, so it's a pretty old patch. This isn't specifically a client issue per-say but a Windows 10 requirement.

• Mon, Aug 15 2016 6:26 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 383
    • Points 4,930

We finally got our Nexis up and running in production. Just as an FYI for other's considering it, it's great. No issues. Great management web gui, easy to use client.

• Tue, Aug 16 2016 8:39 AM In reply to

Added bonus info for those that are wondering about their old infrastructure and Switches. The old switces (Force 10 in our case) are not officially supported/approved. 

Thanks to Bob Russo for pointing that out, caught us ofguard :-/

• Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:16 PM In reply to

As far as this patch do you know the actual KBnumber so we can download directly. Thanks. 

In a related note, I also received a failure to install Nexis client service Log service; due Non Certified/Signed Driver...does anyone know which patch needs to be installed for this work. Thanks in advance. 

Nexis #4/v6.2 

And Finally Migration Tool; tried migration toolbundled with v7.4.x. And it does not Log into Nexis (figured needs newer client and also suspect note in Nexis Readme, that Administrator is no longer a user, which is hard coded in Migration tool). But there is no Migration tool that ships with Nexis installers. 

(So we are copying 120T to NAS then Onto E4. Real Pain). Would appreciate a link to Nexis Migration tool if it exists.)

Several gotchas in these few lines.

Deyner Seals

• Thu, Sep 29 2016 6:32 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,244
    • Points 27,715
    • Avid Employee

The Windows Patch needed is listed in the NEXIS 6.2 Readme on Page 11.

There currently isn't a NEXIS Data Migration Utility. You can use the 4.7 DMU on Windows but it won't create the Workspaces on NEXIS. If they are manually created on NEXIS it will move the data.

The 4.7 Migration tool won't work unless the Client works. You will need to have the NEXIS client installed and able to mount workspaces. 

The Administrator is a user on NEXIS.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller