Latest post Wed, May 25 2016 7:51 AM by dori_bashan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 20 2016 8:03 AM

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Removing an expension engine from a storage group without deleting media

Hi

I addition to Jeroen van Eekeres suggstion here: (Thanks Jeroen!!!)

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/160405.aspx

Can someone confirm that this is supported on ISIS 5000 v. 4.6.1.1 as well? (Jeroen confirm that its working on ISIS 7500).

We have an ISIS 5000 system that got 3 engines - system director (32TB) and 2x expension engines (2x32TB).

The system director and the first expension engine are part of the same Storage Group.

The third engine is configured as a different Storage Group.

We want to remove the 2nd engine from the set (the one that share a storage group with the system director)

We have deleted some data from that Storage Group, so it is now only 20TB of data, which should fit on the system director chassis  after removing the expension engine.

now, is it as simple as removing the Expension Engine Storage Element from the Storage Group and this will trigger an Redistribution that will move all data to the system director engine, and then i will be able to just UNBIND that engine from the Storage Manager and turn it off and remove it?

again, we are using 4.6.1.1 on the system director and on the expension engines.

Thanks!!

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 23 2016 7:09 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Removing an expension engine from a storage group without deleting media

Yes, that is correct. In Storage Groups select the chassis you'd like to remove and select Remove; this will kick off a remove redistribution. You must wait for the redistribution to complete before removing the chassis; don't force unbind it.

You can monitor the progress in the Redistribution Monitor. {edit} This was added in 4.7, good reason to update to 4.7 prior to the remove.

I/O can continue during this time.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, May 23 2016 7:55 PM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thanks!

Not sure if we will manage to update to 4.7 prior to the remove, but in my experiense, Redistribtion between two chassis is working in approx. 800 GB per hour when moving a workspace from one storage group to another storage group,  i guess i will see approx. the same performence here.

BTW - what will happen if i will try to remove the the chassis from that storage group, but with 30TB of data that will not fit on one chassis? - will i get a warning? 

Thanks!!

90x Media Composer, 8x Symphony Nitris, 8x ISIS 5000, ,6x Pro Tools, 4x Assimilate SCRATCH Systems- Opus Post Production, ISRAEL. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 23 2016 9:25 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee

If there's not enough space in the storage group you'll receive an error and won't be able to proceed.

You can also do a workspace move to move a workspace and the media to another storage group.

• Tue, May 24 2016 3:21 AM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Many thanks Bob!

• Tue, May 24 2016 12:57 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,252
    • Points 27,810
    • Avid Employee

This is the error dialog:

• Wed, May 25 2016 7:51 AM In reply to

• dori_bashan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • ISRAEL
    • Posts 647
    • Points 7,990

Thanks Bob!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller