Latest post Tue, Sep 20 2016 6:46 PM by Marianna. 96 replies.
Page 2 of 7 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 15 2016 7:44 PM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,780

Re: Alert issue with QuickTime for Windows..?

Quicktime Ref is nothing more than a frameserver, especially SAS. Providing an inhouse frameserver to the outside world should be de riguer for Avid.

The real question, for me, is to wonder what this means for the industry support of ProRes, given that even QT10 on a Mac is a disaster. 

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Fri, Apr 15 2016 8:02 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,280

cuervo:
    The real question, for me, is to wonder what this means for the industry support of ProRes, given that even QT10 on a Mac is a disaster. 

That is indeed an nteresting question.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 15 2016 9:53 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,267
    • Points 15,230

Assume Avid comes with a replacement for QT support (sounds like a major overhaul to me)

If/when that happens, it will most obviously not be retrofitted to "old" versions of MC (what is old ? anything before that upcoming version ?).

Sooooo...people with systems that can't be upgraded to the latest versions of MC (because of performance issues or third-party hw/sw dependencies, etc.) will have to continue running naked ?

MC 20.10 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.6); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6 GHz - 32 GB RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 15 2016 10:03 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,911
    • Points 50,005
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The immediate solution is obvious. Simply use QT for internally created files (e.g. QT Reference files) and don't open/play arbitrary files from the internet. Unhook QT from the web browser to prevent accidentally firing up when you hit a malicious page.

Of course, there's a wider problem. A lot of media software, free and commercial, use the QT SDK for processing video. You'll need to identify all of these and quarantine them. Uninstalling QT may not be enough, as it's possible to embed QT into an executable (so while you may not have QT installed on a system, a copy of the runtimes may be included with another application).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Apr 15 2016 10:19 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,950
    • Points 70,365

Jeroen van Eekeres:

This is no surprise. I'm actually very happy if we can close the chapter quicktime and move on to something professional.

YesYesYes

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 2:52 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,453
    • Points 98,470

Dom Q. Silverio:
    I am hoping this means QTX/AV Foundation is migrated to Windows.

Oh, you really think?  In exactly the same way that Apple have made the ProRes codecs freely available on the Windows platform?  I hope that you're not holding your breath!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 16 2016 10:34 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

I'm still really fuzzy on what we're supposed to do at this point.  I "thought" that avid needed quicktime installed in order to actually function -- is this not true?  Can MC users (8.4 in my case) safely uninstall quicktime from the system without effecting general functionality?  If so, will certain aspects of MC still be effected by uninstalling QT?

Thanks for clarification on this.  I feel like I should uninstall it, but I don't want to break anything in MC and end up having to scramble to get things working again.

Note that it's not always possible to just disconnect from the internet.  I have production software that requires an internet connection for things like support documentation and licensing verification.

Thanks for information on this,

Larry

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 11:14 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

I often use the "Quicktime Same as Source" export in Avid to quickly output a file in my current DNxHD format for use in other software.  If I uninstall quicktime, will this option still be availalbe, or does this require QT to be installed on the system?  Assuming that this will not be available without Quicktime installed, how would I accomplish something similar?  I can't find an obvious alternative, or even a way of outputting to another DNxHD container like mxf.

Is this as serious as it seems to sound at this point?  I feel like I must be missing something here, because it seems like a catastrophic wrench is being thrown into the MC workflow that I've established.

Thanks again for help in fully understanding and dealing with the situation.

L

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 11:22 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,489
    • Points 18,560

lalittle:

I often use the "Quicktime Same as Source" export in Avid to quickly output a file in my current DNxHD format for use in other software.  If I uninstall quicktime, will this option still be availalbe, or does this require QT to be installed on the system?

I uninstalled quicktime yesterday and indeed the SAS and QTRef options disappeared.  

But let's not lose our heads.  Quicktime still works.  Although the exploit has been identified it has never been used maliciously.  The web components of quicktime do not need to be loaded on your system for the core components to work with Avid.

This is totally manageable at the moment, though obviously a long term solution must be found.

(Reloaded 7.7.9 and humming along happily.)

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 11:36 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

smrpix:

lalittle:

I often use the "Quicktime Same as Source" export in Avid to quickly output a file in my current DNxHD format for use in other software.  If I uninstall quicktime, will this option still be availalbe, or does this require QT to be installed on the system?

I uninstalled quicktime yesterday and indeed the SAS and QTRef options disappeared.  

But let's not lose our heads.  Quicktime still works.  Although the exploit has been identified it has never been used maliciously.  The web components of quicktime do not need to be loaded on your system for the core components to work with Avid.

This is totally manageable at the moment, though obviously a long term solution must be found.

(Reloaded 7.7.9 and humming along happily.)

So "basic' functionality still worked with QT uninstalled -- i.e. MC doesn't use QT to, for example, play video, correct?

How do you remove everything in QT but the core components?  I'm not sure how to go about removing or at least disabling the "web components."

Thanks,

L

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 1:28 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,436
    • Points 55,100

Importantly with older versions of MC, with less recent certified QT installations? The concept that a perpetual licence can be used "indefinately" appear to be no longer practical.

Until more clarity results I will isolate my MC 7 from the network.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 22.12. Win 22H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 20/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 1:38 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,489
    • Points 18,560

lalittle:
    How do you remove everything in QT but the core components?  I'm not sure how to go about removing or at least disabling the "web components."

Uninstall quicktime, then reinstall it making sure the optional features are x'd out on the product features screen. 

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 2:56 PM In reply to

The only viable solution in my opinion is an ffmpeg engine with a codec pack from a company like mainconcept or calibrated software. Whether this is coupled with a free media player like vlc or a paid solution from a company like Drastic is another discussion.

I do however believe that it needs to be free like quicktime or included with MC. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Apr 16 2016 7:16 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,950
    • Points 70,365

QuickTime is a dinosaur, belongs to the '90s, perhaps conceived in the '80s, it is about time that it's dropped. If the outrageous wages of the Avid managers left some resources for development the next MC release should be QT free, hurry up with a new release with a brand new engine, a QT based app is not feasible anymore.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Apr 17 2016 8:38 AM In reply to

• lalittle
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 534
    • Points 7,365

Based on what I'm reading, I'm not sure that simply removing the web components of QT will actually remove the threat from the exploits.  Can anyone point me to some information on whether or not this fuly works to make a system safe?

Thanks,

L

Page 2 of 7 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller