Latest post Thu, Oct 13 2016 11:59 AM by Job ter Burg. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 1 2015 9:03 AM

• IngoSmitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 19 2014
    • Posts 32
    • Points 570

ProRes Export from MC 8.4

Hi,

how can I export from MediaComposer 8.4 MAC to ProRes 422 HQ ?

Neither the AMA-Export nor the normal Export provides an export directly to ProRes.

Also the "send to quicktime movie" Export doesn't provide ProRes.

I'm on a Mac and don't have FinalCut.

Thanks

Ingo

• Sat, Aug 1 2015 1:17 PM In reply to

• blindpew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 5 2011
    • Posts 45
    • Points 485

Re: ProRes Export from MC 8.4

Do a video mixdown of your whole sequence and set the mixdown resolution to Apple ProRes HQ.

Make a copy of your sequence and put the new mixdown clip as the only video content. Then export the new seq as a QT Movie, with "same as source" selected and "Use Avid Codecs" ticked.

(NB this is on MC 8.31 - I haven't looked at 8.4 yet)

freelance - hence many and various... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2015 4:18 PM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

You need the ProRes Codec on your machine. If you need it permanetly then you need to purchase FCPX or Compressor.

If you only need it temporarily you can download the FCPX trial.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2015 8:21 PM In reply to

no you don't.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 1 2015 10:50 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

no you don't.

Are you saying MC installs ProRes on Macs?

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Sat, Aug 1 2015 11:23 PM In reply to

With Macs, Avid can generate ProRes media natively. From there you can export "same as source" like you would with DNXHD or DNXHR. 

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 2 2015 1:58 AM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

With Macs, Avid can generate ProRes media natively. From there you can export "same as source" like you would with DNXHD or DNXHR. 

You did not answer the question.  Something has to install ProRes on the Mac.

I have had Macs since 1999.  I started with FCP3 in probably 2001.  I have always been under the impression that the Pro codecs get installed with QTPro or one of the apps that were originally part of the FCP Suite.  In fact if you don't have a Pro app you don't get the Pro Codecs update through the OS X App Store.

It is certainly possible that some version of ProRes is now installed with OS X.  I'm pretty sure that was not the case in the past.

Sincerely,

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 2:27 AM In reply to

You are looking at this via Quicktime Prores encoding point of view. Avid does not need or install the QT Prores encoding portion of the codec that normally accompanies a paid version of the Pro Apps. This is because Avid uses MXF codecs and container instead of QT internally. Once you generate the ProRes MXF media in Avid, during Same As Source export it rewraps the media stream in to the QT/MOV container.

In the end you generate a ProRes MOV without the QT ProRes encoder. Hope this explains it.

Robert A. Ober:

You did not answer the question.  Something has to install ProRes on the Mac.

I have had Macs since 1999.  I started with FCP3 in probably 2001.  I have always been under the impression that the Pro codecs get installed with QTPro or one of the apps that were originally part of the FCP Suite.  In fact if you don't have a Pro app you don't get the Pro Codecs update through the OS X App Store.

It is certainly possible that some version of ProRes is now installed with OS X.  I'm pretty sure that was not the case in the past.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 2 2015 4:01 AM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:

You are looking at this via Quicktime Prores encoding point of view. Avid does not need or install the QT Prores encoding portion of the codec that normally accompanies a paid version of the Pro Apps. This is because Avid uses MXF container instead of QT container internally. Once you generate the ProRes MXF media in Avid, during Same As Source export it rewraps the media stream in to the QT/MOV container.

In the end you generate a ProRes MOV without the QT ProRes encoder. Hope this explains it.

No sir.

All of your latest answer is superfluous. 

I was not talking containers. Never mentioned them.  I asked Job a simple question that can be answered with Yes or No.  Or perhaps, "I don't know."  That question is/was, "Are you saying MC installs ProRes on Macs?" .

There is no immaculate conception for codecs.  Something has to install them.  So if a Media Composer equipped Mac does not have one of the Pro apps or QTPro, but has ProRes in some form, then something else installed it.  The most likely choices would be OS X itself or MC.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Ober

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 4:15 AM In reply to

Robert A. Ober:

No sir.

All of your latest answer is superfluous. 

I was not talking containers. Never mentioned them. 

You did not state QT or MXF codec. Avid does NOT install the QT ProRes codec. It internally has a ProRes MXF codec for both encoding and decoding. This is why I gave you the long answer. The answer is yes AND no. If your question is strictly referring to the QT ProRes codec, then no. If you are refering to any ProRes codec, then the answer is yes.

OS X has native Quicktime ProRes decode portion of the codec pre-installed (with QT 7 or X).

I was trying to explain to you the differnce between the Avid MXF ProRes codec and the QT ProRes codec and how the Same as Source export bridges the two.

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 4:35 AM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    You did not state QT or MXF codec.

Quicktime is a framework (now deprecated) and/or container, not a codec.  mxf is a container which has at least two versions.

So there should be no difference between genuine Apple ProRes in an mxf or genuine Apple ProRes in a mov(Quicktime container).

And yes I realize that OS X can decode ProRes by default, apologies for not stating that as a given.  I am only discussing the ProRes encoder.

Dom Q. Silverio:
    I was trying to explain to you the differnce between the Avid MXF ProRes codec and the QT ProRes codec and how the Same as Source export bridges the two.

So you are apparently referring to the containers.  Which still doesn't directly answer the encoder question.  One can infer that MC installs the ProRes encoder but can only write to a mxf container. Not sure why that would be.  As at least part of the mov container spec is part of the mpeg4 standard I would think there would be little or no license needed to use the mov container.

It would be nice if someone from Avid would confirm this.

Y'all have some fun,

Robert

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 6:40 AM In reply to

Robert A. Ober:

Job ter Burg:

no you don't.

Are you saying MC installs ProRes on Macs?

Robert

AFAIK, it does not install the QT ProRes codec, but it comes with ProRes as an MC-native codec. So a standard Mac MC install can create PoRes media on Avid MXF fomat, and it can export it Same As Source.

this does not apply to PC's (thank you Apple)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 2 2015 6:48 AM In reply to

Robert, please play nicely, we're all trying to help each other out here.

You somehow seems to think that a codec is its own entity on a machine, but it is not. If you install the ProRes codec via FCP or Compressor / ProApps on a Mac, that installs a QT component with that codec and all those apps use that QT component to access the codec. It does not mean that any non-QT-based application can access that codec. Easy to tell because if you installed the ProRes QT codec on an older MC, it would not give you ProRes as a native codec in MC, only when doing a Custom QT expots (which is just using the QT encoder).

Also, look at Avid's DNxHD codec. That resides somewhere in MC so it can work with it natively. But there's also somethinh called the "Avid DNxHD Quicktime codec", which is a QT component, which gives any QT-based application access to this codec. (This is the "Avid quicktime codec" that anyone can download on www.avid.com/codec).

Compare it with something like XDCAM. MC has a native XDCAM codec, but if you install MC, it's not like any other application on that Mac can now access the XDCAM codec. There is also an XDCAM QT codec component, and QT-based apps like FCP and compressor would need that to work with XDCAM media.

Or if you install Squeeze, that comes with a stack of codecs, like MainConcept 264 and Dolby Digital Pro (optional), but that does not mean that codec is also installed as a QT component. these codecs are installed on the system, in a way that services Squeeze, but these codecs are then not available to just any application on that system.

So i you install MC on a Mac, it features the ProRes codec (and XDCAM nand J2K and P2) for MC, but that is not a QT component.

What I'm trying to say is that it is not like you install one specific codec to an entire system.  It may have seemed like that in Mac centric environments, because all those ProApps were all relying on the same QT components. But most other apps (like MC) does not rely on QT for its own media generation and playback.

QT and MXF are indeed not codecs, but when we talk about a DNxHD Quicktime codec (or ProRes QT codec or XDCam QT codec) we talk about a codec that will be available as a codec to anything using Quicktime. That's why there is in fact something like "a Quicktime codec", meaning a QT compatible version of a codec. That codec would technically use the very same compression and decompression scheme, yes, so it is technically the same codec, but it's a different type of install, catering to the different ways applications access codecs.

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 7:22 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Robert, please play nicely, we're all trying to help each other out here.

I believe I was, and having you infer otherwise is dissappointing as you are among those here I respect the most.  I even said, "No sir." at one point.  I am well aware of how forums work.  I first used forums in the early eighties by dialing into Compuserve.  I also was one of the folks in the mid nineties who supported Microsoft products online.

Job ter Burg:
    You somehow seems to think that a codec is its own entity on a machine, but it is not.

Actuallly they are in many cases if installed in a particular folder.  Several years ago I installed x.264 from an open source repository and Telestream Episode and other apps could use it.  This was before Episode shipped with x.264.

Job ter Burg:
    If you install the ProRes codec via FCP or Compressor / ProApps on a Mac, that installs a QT component with that codec and all those apps use that QT component to access the codec.

Because Apple decided to do it that way.

Job ter Burg:
    Compare it with something like XDCAM. MC has a native XDCAM codec, but if you install MC, it's not like any other application on that Mac can now access the XDCAM codec. There is also an XDCAM QT codec component, and QT-based apps like FCP and compressor would need that to work with XDCAM media.

Because those vendors chose to do it that way.  By the way,  the Quicktime framework is deprecated and the current is the AV Foundation which is diagrammed at https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/AVFoundationPG/Articles/00_Introduction.html.

Job ter Burg:
    What I'm trying to say is that it is not like you install one specific codec to an entire system.

One could in 10.7 and I would suspect that one still can. 

Job ter Burg:
    That codec would technically use the very same compression and decompression scheme, yes, so it is technically the same codec, but it's a different type of install, catering to the different ways applications access codecs.

Agree.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I hope your weekend is going well,

Robert

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Sun, Aug 2 2015 10:30 PM In reply to

I apologize if I misread any of the discussion.

So let me put it this way: to the best of my knowledge, MC does not install its native codecs (including ProRes) in a way that other apps can access them.

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller