Latest post Wed, Jun 8 2016 1:24 PM by BobRusso. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 1 2015 12:27 PM

Isis 5500, Project/bin open/close/save actions are very slow.

Dear All,

After having setup multiple ISIS 5000/5500 systems there is a pattern that is becoming more and more visible but before I bother support and/or Bob Russo I would like to hear if others see the same thing.

As time and development are progressing it seems that MC is becoming slower with each version when opening/closing/saving bins when using an ISIS 5000/5500 which is connected through ethernet (4x 1G) to a switch or when using direct connect between the clients and ISIS. When using the 10G connection to a switch the performance is better.

Every time I find a customer complaining about this I find that:

1. Pathdiag gives perfectly fine results.

2. Projects are not ridiculously big.

3. That renaming the attic folder on the ISIS to old_attic gives a performance boost but only for a few days/weeks.

At one customer renaming the attic also solved daily lockups of MC where it could take minutes to just close a single bin.

It seems there is something wrong with the MC projects/bins and attic in combination with ISIS 5000/5500. It feels as if it is cache related and I have checked if the cache of the Force 10 S25n are set correctly but since also direct attached clients experience the same problem, that seems not to be cause.

There are already other posts reporting similar problems but a solution I never found. Are others out there seeing the same thing?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Feb 1 2015 3:25 PM In reply to

Re: Isis 5500, Project/bin open/close/save actions are very slow.

Absolutely. 4.7 should show improvements, or so I was told, but my ACSR advised me to stick with 4.6.x for reasons of stability. In the meantime, I've moved my project to a local drive. Way, way, way, way, waaaaaay faster.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 21 2015 10:39 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 386
    • Points 4,965

Just as an FYI I'm not on an Isis (we use another common system) and we experience that exact same thing. If one starts a new project with 8 shared users it's fast for everyone. Within a couple of weeks everything is crawling slow. The bin saves is a killer when the director is the room. Granted our project folder is 16GB and our bins are large (feature work). We rename our attic folder daily which has helped. I also have the assisant editors make sure our Media Folder have 4000-5000 files in each folder as the fewer databases to scan the better (we copy MXF's into the folders rather than digitize).

I've connected a our lead editor directly to the server via 10Gb and found zero improvement.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out there that it's not just Isis (or Unity).

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2015 3:41 PM In reply to

cable:
    Anyway, just thought I'd throw out there that it's not just Isis (or Unity).

Thx for that info Cable.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Apr 26 2016 3:40 PM In reply to

Im bumping this thread as at one site we still see random actions inside MC all of a sudden getting stuck for 5-30 seconds and then waking up executing the last command. With projects on local storage it never happens.

I have scheduled an ISIS client and server update to 4.7.8 next week and will also update MC to 7.0.6. to see if that helps.

Still wondering if others see (saw) the same issue and found a sollution.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jun 8 2016 1:24 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,251
    • Points 27,805
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Can you take a look at this post.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller