Latest post Wed, Apr 15 2015 9:07 PM by BarkinMadd. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:32 PM

• tourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 30 2008
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

A new DS

We are in 2015, but I miss tools from

2001. Avid could Think about a new DS. Do you agree?

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:22 PM In reply to

Re: A new DS

I think it's going to be a tough competition if you look at tools like Resolve.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:47 PM In reply to

• tourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

I am looking for a software to edit and compose in the same timeline. I don't like smoke. Nuke offered me a new Nuke Studio, I saw many tools similars to old DS. Can be an option. 

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:33 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 38,780

There are a whole host of heartbroken DS users still trying to find a tool with the depth and useability of DS.  The problem as I see it is that there is not a large enough pool of users who will invest the money and learning time to pay for the development of such a tool.  This is being proven time and again.

Quite sad.

My opnion.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:25 AM In reply to

• tourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

Hello Jef, 

the issue is that Media Composer has very old tools and many people is turning to other plataforms like adobe premiere. I have many friends advising me to test premiere. I can see facilities in premirere, like a simple blend mode or especially in relation to new tecnologies, cameras etc. After editing on MC, i usually export the film using premiere because i need 16 audio channels with 5.1 for example.

Here in brazil, i can see clearly that avid is not an atractive tool anymore. 

Big companies are buying adobe CC and working like small. But they are still working  and saving MONEY.

Avid needs to be powerful and reinvent herself to convice editors to fight to keep avid running. 

With MC's TOOLS, avid and we will loose.

I hope don't need to edit on premiere in the future.

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:33 AM In reply to

tourne:
    edit and compose in the same timeline.
    Black Magic brought Fusion. The paid version of Fusion ($999) will apparently include Eyeon Connect which is an AVX2 effect. With it Fusion opens from the Avid timeline works with up to 6? video layer on the timeline. The Fusion effect then renders Avid Media (in the background) dropping you back into your timeline.  Might be worth a look

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:08 AM In reply to

• tourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

Thank you Andrew!!! I didn't know about this feature.

But it is not clear on blackmagic's page that is is possible. I hope so. 

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:25 AM In reply to

The first 8 minutes of this shows Connection in action.  There was a more detailed one but I do not have a link.

FWIW I believe the same Eyeon Connection AVX2 used to work with DS

Here is a more detailed look

• Thu, Jan 22 2015 6:12 AM In reply to

Scroll down on the “latest downloads” section and there will be:

Edit Connection 7.6

This software adds the Edit Connection plug-in to Fusion that is compatible with Avid edit systems, so you can send any clip or stack of clips from an Avid Media Composer timeline directly into Fusion. Now Avid editors can have access to Fusion’s powerful 3D compositing and animation tools!

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 22 2015 7:04 AM In reply to

Thanks Job!
    I missed that. It downloaded, Installed and appears to work with MC 8.3 + Windows 7 pro

• Fri, Jan 23 2015 2:26 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,194
    • Points 38,780

Andrew,

Are you using the free version?

I tried the 7.6 free version with MC 7.0.4 and while the plugin installed, it never fired FUSION off.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Jan 23 2015 2:45 AM In reply to

jef:
    Andrew, Are you using the free version?
    Yes, at this point

jef:
    the plugin installed, it never fired FUSION off.
    It does everything up to and including starting Fusion from the effects editor. But I have not had it not open appropriate nodes with timeline components. Nor did it create an Avid Saver node. (Have not found any Avid Resolutions in the render options either.)

Had high hopes when the "BlackMagic effect showed up in my effects and will continue to persue ways to get it to work. (even if that ends up being the paid version)

• Sun, Feb 1 2015 11:17 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,524
    • Points 59,150

I can't figure it out either. No documentation?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.2 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Feb 1 2015 11:28 PM In reply to

I think it is meant to work only with Fusion Suite (paid version) at present. I have asked if Avid would consider suggesting to BM that Connect could become available as a paid plug in (similar to Baselight.) 

• Mon, Feb 2 2015 1:25 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,524
    • Points 59,150

Too bad. I'd pay for the plugin (<$300) so that Fusion (free) could be used as an effect, but I'd want to see the reality of its performance first.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 18.2 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller