Latest post Thu, Jul 24 2014 7:08 PM by Pat Horridge. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 22 2014 12:26 PM

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

MC 7.03/7.04 AMA relink behavior (bug?)

experienced a odd relink behavior for AMA linked and transcoded clips (on various machines that hat MC 7 installed).

here's a 1-10 what to do and what happens...

1. AMA 3 clips

2. transcode those clips

3. now you have your 3 ama clips + 3 the 3 transcoded ".new" clips

4. delete the 3.new clips (masterfiles only - keeping the media files)

5. select 2 of the 3 AMA clips and choose "relink"...

6. those 2 clips are now using the transcode files and are no longe AMAed

7. select the AMA clip and choose relink....now the magic happens. Super Angry

8. the lastly selected clip is now using the transcoded file BUT the 2 previously relinked clips get unlinked and are becoming AMA clips again.

9. you could reselect those 2 performing step 5 again...and will end up in a loophole...

10. workaround: only if ALL selected clips in a bin are relinked at the same time this works.

11. havent tried yet with multiple bins....(due to lack of time).

bug? or feature? or am i doing someting wrong in my workflow.... Stick out tongue

1. avid mc 8.9.3 intel i7 7700, 32GB DDR3, nvida geforce gtx 1070, Win10 64bit, 9TB-Raid-0 @ onboardcontroller // alienware intel i7 win10 64bit ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 22 2014 12:45 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,360
    • Points 16,745

Re: MC 7.03/7.04 AMA relink behavior (bug?)

Interesting observation, but I don't understand the circumstances under which you would use step 4.

• Tue, Jul 22 2014 12:55 PM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

just to clean up the bin.... ;-)

and to make the example more understandable Geeked

workflow:

the ama-clips are placed in a sequence...then edited...meanwhile the clips are transcoded in the BG...and when finished the sequence gets relinked...(or the ama clips)...but if you add just 1 more clip later on that hasnt been there before the messy situation as in point 5 explained begins...

1. avid mc 8.9.3 intel i7 7700, 32GB DDR3, nvida geforce gtx 1070, Win10 64bit, 9TB-Raid-0 @ onboardcontroller // alienware intel i7 win10 64bit ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 22 2014 2:05 PM In reply to

I have seen the same issue and never found a solution. I haven't opened a case for this issue but will if I have a system under support in the office on which I can replicate the problem.

But I'm sure others have reported it to Avid already.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:32 AM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

@ Jeroen...where to report and open a case? i have replicated this on various 7.0x systems.

• Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:35 AM In reply to

www.avid.com/csportal

You need a master account and a registered system under support.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 2:59 PM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • cologne
    • Posts 250
    • Points 3,270

thanks jeroen,

but WHERE do i report the bug...cant find any link there [:'(]

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 4:17 PM In reply to

I've seen this workflow touted on the web a lot. It was passed around as the working solution to allow editing with AMA linked - transcoded media for a succesful re-link to work.

But it's unneccesary. the correct procedure is to AMA link sort clips into bins. Transcode. Move the .new clips to new bins. Close the old AMA bins and tuck away in a folder they are useful later on still linked to their AMA sources. forcing a re-link of those clips to the transcoded ones loses you any clips linked to the AMA sources and potentially gives you headaches as the OP mentions. And all it gains is clips without ,new on the end.

The .new is very useful as it tells us these are transcoded clips. Editing with the .new clips enables a sucessful re-link to the AMA sources (as you can use the stored original AMA clips to re-link to selected open bins.

Can't say loudly enough that this is a straight forward workflow that just doesn't need the added complication of force re-lining. I demonstrate the workflow above in my teaching and we use it in house all the time.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:05 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Can't say loudly enough that this is a straight forward workflow that just doesn't need the added complication of force re-lining. I demonstrate the workflow above in my teaching and we use it in house all the time.

Pat,

While I completely agree with you that the workflow you describe is the correct philosophy of using AMA today, what you have just written is that Avid does not have to fix the erratic behaviour when, intensionally or by accident, relinking an AMA link. I can't disagree more.

The choice needs to be made. Either an AMA link can't be "relinked" at all or it is done in a logical manner. If AMA management in MC7 tries to work at the ability to be able to "relink" is another discussion. Personally I do see the need of being able to relink AMA linked media. (Specifically when the "source" creates proxy media and the high res media.)

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jul 24 2014 7:08 PM In reply to

The original posters issue was resolvable using the "designed" working practice. And the "revised" practive had no obvious benefit beyond allowing to work with clips without .new on the end.

So that isn't even a work around its the prefered working method. The "other" method should work and work logically so it would be great for Avid to address it but once again I have a list of things "I" need before that one is covered.

If the source has Proxy and hires you can use the AMA settinsg to control that. You have the ability to link to the proxy and then use the hires for transcodes etc.

Or you AMA the low res and consolidate transcode and work with that media and those clips and at the end you AMA link the hires clips and relink the sequence to those. I know there are others ways to achieve that but that way works.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller