Latest post Fri, Jun 20 2014 7:07 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 19 2014 3:00 PM

Mac: Connect to internet and Interplay?

Ok, before anyone dismisses this with "just don't use the internet on your edit system" hear me out.

Is it possible to have internet connected on a Mac while connected to Interplay? I'm working at a client site on a new Interplay install and it seems that we have to disable the internet connection in Network Preferences in order to login to Interplay.

I believe that I was told that DNS Server was polled at the time of Interplay login attempt and that the ISIS network was first in the priority list. However, it seems that it is polling the internet connection (Comcast) instead and not allowing us to login.

Does anyone have a suggestion other than:

a) use a different computer for the internet

b) just disable/enable your internet connection when you need it

Those are workarounds we are willing to explore, but for right now we'd like to find other solutions that work within our current familiar workflow.

Thanks in advance!

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:42 PM In reply to

Re: Mac: Connect to internet and Interplay?

Kenton.VanNatten:
    Is it possible to have internet connected on a Mac while connected to Interplay?

Yes, there isn't any technical impediment to have both connections, but, you have to have a right network configuration.

Do you have a DNS server, right? Could you ping the Inteprlay Engine by its hostname?
    Are you mac client in the same subnet that your Interplay Servers are?
    Are you using both NICs ports on your mac?

Best.

DV

* Avid Media Composer 8.6.5 * MacBook Pro 8,3

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 1:26 PM In reply to

Yes, you can have internet, but you can only have one "connection" to use Interplay.  the network must be configured to route out to the internet, as having a "dual-home" connection interferes with the Interplay Framework Services.  Framework flips a coin to decide which network it will use to communicate with the media indexer, and if that path has a dead-end, you won't be able to hit the Indexer.  it's ESPECIALLY important that the DNS server also have the right forward and reverse lookup records for every client, else, you guessed it - it won't communicate with the indexer.

so in your described setup, no, you can't have Internet AND Interplay. 

the IT staff would need to route out of the Interplay network to get to the Internet, and many sites don't like doing that at all.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 3:57 PM In reply to

My 0.02$. I think you can but like Dragon wrote it's a little tricky and first of all depends on the IP ranges and gateways used in the networks.

The simplest way around these problems, if you don't know about or have access to the routers/gateways, is to use a proxy server. I prefer this in most setups because it gives an extra level of access control.

Isn't a proxy server an option in your case?

P.S. Haven't checked if MC can activate through a proxy recently.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 6:34 PM In reply to

Thank you all for the input. All of this is a bit over my head, I was posting on someone else's behalf. I will pass on the info provided.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Jun 20 2014 7:07 PM In reply to

I've been told that the IP address of the IE was added to the hostfile on each of the clients and now we have internet.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller