Latest post Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:12 AM by Pat Horridge. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 15 2014 2:04 AM

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 15 2014
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

AMA link

I am new to Media Composer 7. 

I have the 7.04 version, using Mac's Mavericks

I am trying to bring in some files from and external hard drive, using AMA links. They do appear into the bin, but they cannot be played. A message appears saying: " Exception: Failed to get the sample position from the AMA plug-in"

The files I am trying to link to are .MOV, filmed on a Sony HVR Z1U,

codecs: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), linear PCM

Any suggestion on how to solve this??

Thank you

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 5:35 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: AMA link

That cam only save to tapes so someone have created files from those tapes.

Depending on the skill of that someone those files could be good or not that good.

What is the file info from within Quicktime, the Z1 is shooting HDV.

Also check your Avid version once more so that you are using the latest 7.03 together with Mavericks.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 6:52 AM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

I created the files.

Dimensions 1920x1080

Codecs: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Linear PCM I used those same files with Final Cut 7 with no problems And yes, I am using MC 7.04 with Mavericks
  • Wed, Jan 15 2014 8:12 AM In reply to

Were the clips "Clipwrapped" ?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:14 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, thanks.

And abut this

steinpom:

I am using MC 7.04 with Mavericks

7.03 is the latest released version unless you are using some not yet officially released beta version.

So please specify the version once again as this might be of importance and if you have downloaded it through the regular channels and not got it from for example Avid support

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 15 2014 2:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,089
    • Points 216,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Like Tomas said... 7.0.3 is the latest version so that is what we can assist you with. 

If you are working on beta or a field test candidate - then you need to connect with your Avid contacts and not post on the forums.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

No, the clips were not clipwrapped.

They were digitized 4 years ago, and were working very well on Final Cut 7

Thank you all for your answers/questions. I am still hoping to find a solution.

To summarize the issue: with Media Composer 7.03, I am trying to AMA link to .MOV files on an external drive. These files were created from tape (filmed on a Sony HVR Z1U) 4 years ago, Codecs: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Linear PCM.

What happens: files do go into the bin, but cannot be played in the source window. The message that comes up: "Exception: Failed to get the sample position from the AMA plug-in"

Thank you for your help

Claudine

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 6:16 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ok, so it was 7,03 ..

When these kind of things have shown up usually a transcode or, in your case, a consolidate might work, please do a consolidate of a clip and tell what happens.

If consolidate fails there might be something with the file header in the files created with FCP, I can recall an old FCP bug, and in that case do a try with a foreground transcode to Avid DNx to see if that works better.

Please report back

Tomas 

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 8:53 PM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Consolidate failed. The same message appeared: Exception: Failed to get the sample position from the AMA plug in

The external drive I am using is a copy/backup of the one I used with FCP. So these files i am trying to link have nothing to do at any point with FCP

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 9:11 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

steinpom:

Consolidate failed. The same message appeared: Exception: Failed to get the sample position from the AMA plug in

The external drive I am using is a copy/backup of the one I used with FCP. So these files i am trying to link have nothing to do at any point with FCP

It has EVERYTHING to do with FCP.  The camera shoots HDV 1440x1080.  Ingesting them into FCP re-encodes them to ProRes.  That being said, the files should AMA into Avid unless they are actually AIC. 

FWIW, native HDV files fast import nicely into Avid. Is there any chance you can get your hands on the original tapes, that would make life easier?

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 9:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

steinpom:

Consolidate failed.

Ok

So

If consolidate fails there might be something with the file header

and in that case do a try with a foreground transcode to Avid DNx

Tomas 

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 9:49 PM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

The files have never been ingested into FCP

I do have the original tapes

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 9:55 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,354
    • Points 16,655

steinpom:

The files have never been ingested into FCP

Do you know how they got converted to Pro Res?  How were they originally captured?

steinpom:

I do have the original tapes

It may be simplest to re-capture them natively as HDV in Avid.  You don't say how much material you have, but how long have you been banging your head on this already?

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:46 PM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

I used a friend's deck and equipment. Honestly, I don't remember what it was. I will try to find out

I have about 25 hours of footage. Which means that re-digitizing would take a very long time

Been banging my head on that one for a week so far. This after waiting for a month for Media Composer to be up to par with Mac Mavericks. Love it....

• Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:31 PM In reply to

• steinpom
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 135

Tried

And nope, same message

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller