Latest post Thu, Dec 12 2013 7:19 PM by R Scobie. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 8 2013 9:18 AM

AMA in 6.0.5 Adding Duplicate Frames to End of Clip

It seems that in 6.0.5, AMA is adding duplicate frames to the end of clips. I've discovered it duplicating the last frame anywhere from about three to twenty times.

This thread explains the circumstances under which I discovered this discrepancy between the source file's actual length and what AMA in 6.0.5 believes the length is:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/124330/713480.aspx#713480

It seems that in 6.0.4, the correct duration was read for the souce files, so the AMA clip duration matched the source file duration and relinking was possible.

But upgrading to 6.0.5 pevents relinking from being possible. This is because the AMA clip's duration was correctly was determined when the AMA linking originally took place in 6.0.4. But because 6.0.5 adds duplicated frames to the end of the source file, MC now believes that the source file is longer than it actually is. This causes a duration mismatch error that prevents MC from relinking.

The top picture is of the bin used to AMA link to the files in 6.0.4. The bottom picture is a new bin used to AMA link to files in 6.0.5. Notice that the durations do not match.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Dec 8 2013 9:43 AM In reply to

Re: AMA in 6.0.5 Adding Duplicate Frames to End of Clip

In a different project, I tested both AMA linking and Slow Importing with another QT file from a different camera. (This file is from a Red One MX and was transcoded to DNxHD 36 using RedCine-X.) Again I found the duration had been exteneded with extra frames added to the end when compared to the original file.

On the other hand, if I Fast Import the file, then duration is correct. This seems to be an issue with how 6.0.5 is using QT to read files.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Dec 8 2013 10:21 AM In reply to

BTW, the 6.0.5 Readme lists an AMA duplicate frame bug as being fixed in version 6.0.5.

Bug Number:

UDevC00178917. When AMA linking to a QuickTime movie, the last frame was a duplicate.

But it actually seems to be worse. And yes, I did a clean install of 6.0.5.

• Mon, Dec 9 2013 5:24 AM In reply to

• R Scobie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 22 2013
    • Posts 32
    • Points 430

We are having the same problem.

See post http://community.avid.com/forums/t/124236.aspx

Regards,

Richard

• Mon, Dec 9 2013 7:20 AM In reply to

BM, does this clip have audio? If you open it in QT7 player and Get Info, what does it think the franerate is?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 9 2013 7:52 AM In reply to

Hi Job,

Thanks very much for the help! Yes, all of the clips have audio. QT thinks that the frame rate is 23.98 (which is correct).

I further tested the clip DSC_0043. Interestingly:

QT says that the duration is 42:04.

MC 6.0.5 says it's 42:20.

MC 6.0.4 says it's 41:23.

AE says it's 42:00 but adds a blank frame at the end.

But when added to an AE comp, this blank frame is removed and the duration is 41:23.

Please realize that I also tested this duplicating fields behavior with footage from an entirely different camera, and the problem existed with that footage as well.

• Mon, Dec 9 2013 8:04 AM In reply to

I also looked at the file in Resolve 10 Lite, and I think I can explain the 42:00 vs 41:23 discrepancy I was seeing in AE. If the starting frame is 0:00, then the ending timecode will be 41:23, but the duration will be 42:00. So the one frame apparent difference in AE seems to be a result of if I'm reading ending timecode or duration.

This of course, does not explain what's going on in MC.

• Tue, Dec 10 2013 7:40 PM In reply to

R Scobie:

We are having the same problem.

See post http://community.avid.com/forums/t/124236.aspx

Regards,

Richard

It would be really appreciated if someone else could confirm this behavior so it can be officially logged it as a bug.

• Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:39 PM In reply to

Not being an NTSC person this may be a silly question but I will ask any way. Could reading the clips TC as drop frame instead of non drop frame (or the other way around) account for these discrepancies?

• Wed, Dec 11 2013 4:16 AM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if that's somehow related to what MC is doing internally. But the numerical difference between ndf and df is only 1.001. While we are seeing an added length that appears to be 2%.

Also, FWIU, df is only used with 60 and 30i footage. If I have my NTSC straight, there really isn't a 23.976 df.

But thanks for offering help!

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 6:42 PM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,115

I dont know if this is any help but I just AMA'd a Canon XF mpeg2 35mb (1080p/29.97) clip and consolidated it and also transcoded it to DNxHD 145 and all three clips have the same duration.

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 7:19 PM In reply to

• R Scobie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 22 2013
    • Posts 32
    • Points 430

This is because you are using the Canon AMA plugin in this instance.

The problem only seems to manifest when accessing footage that uses the Quicktime plugin.

Regards,

Richard

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller