Latest post Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:09 PM by redted. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 30 2013 3:04 PM

• redted
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 17 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Connecting a Sony DSR-45P deck

I am having nothing but issues trying to connect a Sony DSR-45P deck via firewire and capture into MC 6.5.3.

The Windows 7 system sees the unit, but Avid just refuses to recognise it. 'No Deck' appears and 'The Deck is empty, offline or turned off' appears when I try to associate a tape with the deck.

I have tried numerous suggestions that appear on this forum such as using the legacy drivers, manually selecting the deck, using 'Sony' deck and 'GenericDVBasicDevice-PAL', but to no avail.

I am starting to think I might require a specified FW card on the system to take it off the system bus.

Any more ideas to force Avid to recognise the deck?

• Tue, Jul 30 2013 3:34 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Connecting a Sony DSR-45P deck

You don't list your specs, so I don't know what you're using, but there have been Firewire issues related to Windows 7 (as opposed to with MC).  With that said, I'm successfully using DSR-1500As, with that template chosen in the Deck Configuration settings.

Can you list your specs in your profile?

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 30 2013 4:30 PM In reply to

• redted
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Yes, apologies. I work on several different types of machines and configure them, so I don't tend to have a regular system to put in the specs section at the bottom of the post. I appreciate I should have put them on the post.

I have upgraded a Dell Precision T7400 to Windows 7 SP1 with a Quadro 4000 and upgraded to 8gb RAM. 

The general running of the system has been great and don't have any problems with the software itself; just the capture.

I find it really odd that the device is recognised fine in Windows (as a Sony device) but Avid WILL NOT see it at all. As I stated, I have tried running the legacy drivers which has worked for me in the past, but not this time!

• Tue, Jul 30 2013 5:17 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Are you using some other I/O device?

And can we assume that you have done the deck configuration settings?

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 30 2013 6:44 PM In reply to

Are you in a standard def project? With MC7 here and a SD project a DSR 45P is an available machine template

Just tested with a HVR 1500 and it works via Firewire with the DSR 45 template via Deck Config (Firewire on OHCI) with the decks remote switch set to iLink. (HP 8600 W7 64 pro SP1 with Kona 3 card installed)

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 6:29 AM In reply to

• redted
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Yes, I am running a 25i PAL project. I have also tried the DSR45-P template. 

I am going to try a seperate firewire card today to see if that helps.

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:41 AM In reply to

• redted
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Just to update...

I have tried a seperate internal FW card, but it hasn't made a difference. 

It is very frustrating that Windows sees the deck fine, but Avid just will not recognise it. I feel like there is a setting I am missing, but I've tried my usual tricks to get the deck working!

• Wed, Jul 31 2013 12:33 PM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

"The Windows 7 system sees the unit "

This is important to know, and windows use to respond by sounding "kling klong" and we know it is reconised by window. (Firewire 4pin plug are a lausy connection and cause the majority of failure. Resulting in sporatic KlingKlongs) (You may duble check firewire connection by letting Windows MovieMaker control the deck).(And this may be a workaround to let MovieMaker capture the files for later import to AVID)

Next is to have MC to reconise the deck.

Project format must be set to Deck format.

Deck Configuration must be set to [Firewirw on OHCI] and [Generic Divice]

In capture window click [check deck] and the tape timecode should show up. Confirming your sucess.

(As a start, You may consider to disable other InOut divices, as they may interfer).

Most of this has all ready been mentioned in earlyer responces above.

Allan

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 31 2013 4:47 PM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,330

Disable your I/O hardware  ( matrox /  DNX etc ) to run in software only mode.

connect deck

reboot

make sure win 7 sees the deck in the hardware manager

other thoughts:

Avid likes TI chipset firewire cards  so it might be the card

try a different firewire lead - I have had that before

good luck - works OK on my MC6 / win 7 but it is very hit and miss

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:09 PM In reply to

• redted
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Thanks for the help guys, but I managed to figure it out. 

It looks like creating a new user on the system somehow dumped Avid MC from the 'Programmes' on the start menu. It appeared in c:/Programs, and would run and function fine bar the deck connection. 

I ran the installer again on this new user and it worked right away. I really can't explain what happened there, but please I fixed it.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Great to know this community is so willing to help!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller