Latest post Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:02 AM by erwabo. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 17 2013 9:15 AM

Avid transfer manager standalone

Dear all, especially Avid interplay transfer users and Avid engineering,

This post consists of 2 parts. 1. A question regarding a possible bug with the transfer manager engine. 2. If as a product, Avid is managing/developing/marketing the transfer manager to the extend they should.

But first the bug I see.

On a HP z400 workstation with Windows 7 64bit Sp1, MC 5.5.3.6, adrenaline with DNxHD expansion. Installing the latest version on the transfer manager client and engine (standalone setup) corrupts several dll's in the C;\Program files x86\Common files\Avid\ folder. This results in MC crashing and not recognizing the adrenaline anymore (lavaflow errors).

It could very well be that, because this version is compatible with MC 6/6.5 that it is not supposed to be used with MC 5.5.3 but the documentation does not mention MC version requirements. And here part 2 of this posts starts. (Rant possibility warning).

I'm looking into several media management solutions available in the market that can "integrate" or sit aside, with Avid MC. Avid has of course Interplay which includes the options interplay transcode, pre-encode etc... also the transfer manager is part of this. But interplay is primarily directed at broadcasters and it's price is accordingly.The transfer manager is the only part of interplay that Avid includes in the MC package and for good reasons if you ask me. But why is the documentation so horribly incomplete?

The standalone setup described with an airspeed classic simply does not work! Not only does the manual instruct the user to remove the FTP option during install, which creates the transfer engine to crash, the setup that actually works is nowhere to be found.

Alternative products I'm looking into are, Marquis project parking, Marquis sequence parking (with its medway engine) and Root6technology's Content agent. While these products are actually very different they also have many things in common.

Now Avid announced in MC7 we will now be able to do background Transcoding/consolidation (not render??? Grrr) in MC, Something the standalone transfer manager could already do more or less. Now, while many of us will be happy with this feature (asked for it for how long???) I suddenly wondered...:

AVID, in light of "opening up", using 3rd party I/O, having 3rd parties integrate AMA plug ins inside MC,.. How about opening up the transfer engine to 3rd parties like Root6 and Marquis to access it to perform media transfer/transcodes/encodes/imports/exports etc... etc... and ALL of these as background processes and with the same integration already in existence? You have never cared to build media management for post production houses, similar to never building a 2 to 4TB shared storage solution for small setups with 2 to 4 clients.

If you really believe in opening up isn't this a mayor opportunity to actually take MC's capabilities a step forward? 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:46 PM In reply to

Re: Avid transfer manager standalone

1.) Always match the version of editor with the version of Interplay, including Transfer.  you'll find that in the Interplay Compatability Matrix on the Avid Knowledge Base and in the ReadMe for each version of Interplay. the version of Interplay Transfer & Client for MC 5.5.3 is Interplay 2.4.

2.) Most of the interactions with TransferManager are done with FTP or DET push/Pull, and a file path for ingests needs to be CLEARLY defined in the TM Setup App - Drive letter and all.  a UNC Path won't work.

Also, in order for the Standalone TM to send to AirSpeeds, you need to have the HOST COMPUTER configured as a send to playback device.

So your Playback Device setting should end up looking something like:

EDITOR/AIRSPEED-1

for Ingest Transfers, simply namming the AirSpeeds is fine.

The Transfer Manager service has NEVER done background rendering or transcoding.  all it does is push and pull files from one place to another.  Many 3rd parties support using Transfer Manager for pushing and pulling files.  it's up to them to proviede the hooks.  Telestream- for example - has some specific settings that need to be configured on their end, some tweaks on the TM side, drop a few DLLs here and there, and then - pay Telestream a license fee for the TM plugin.  I'm also pretty sure Root6 has some hooks.  but basically, if you can set up an FTP Profile on that end, TM will send to it.

But, to add to your rant, yes, it's under promoted, and more importantly, underdocumented.  A lot of what I have found is through trial and error and mashing together various 3rd party documents.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 3:19 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

But, to add to your rant, yes, it's under promoted, and more importantly, underdocumented.  A lot of what I have found is through trial and error and mashing together various 3rd party documents.

Thanks Dragon for those comments. They are appreciated.

I keep hope that at some point the product managers of the interplay product line will see that the powerful core of media management inside Avid video products can be expanded/enhanced in so many ways. From my (maybe naive) perspective this should have also create more revenue.

You are right, the transfer manager could not transcode but it would already re-wrap mxf files on the background. Something Avid introduced as an export function in MC6. It could also instruct MC to do a mixdown befor sending or inform the editor that the media was not in the specific format and needed transcoding. In cooperation with Telestream/Root6/Maquis the options are huge... but does nobody see?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jun 1 2016 12:45 PM In reply to

• Frédéric
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 26 2015
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Hi all

I have tryed to instal interplay stand alone with MC 5.5.5.

According to the interplay Compatibility Matrix I need the 2.7 version. 

But now my MC refuse to start and give me an error speaking about LavaFlow.dll. It's seem that this file is corrupted like Jeroen van Eekeres told in the earlier post.

Can someone tell me what can I do to repair the registry or the file ?

I have tryed to re instal MC but it dosen't work.

thanks 

• Wed, Jun 1 2016 2:04 PM In reply to

Yes I can but I'm at a customer now. I will provide you the files you need to replace to make it work again.

Basically you fell into the same trap I did. We installed the wrong version of the transfer manager after reading that document but it easily corrected.

PM me so I can send you the files later when I'm at the office or at home.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 3:02 AM In reply to

• erwabo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 28 2008
    • Detroit MI
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,655

Were you successfully able to get this stand alone scenario working with the AS Classic? I have MC 5.5 with the Adreanline DNXcel as well and I cant get it work work for the life of me. I have the Inerplay Transfer Manger 2.7.5 but im guessing thats the wrong product becuase it wants the dongle and it conseqently destroys my install as spoken above. I cant make them coexist. Same thing happens on my MC 2.7 box. have been able to use the AVID FTP Media to view all the clips on the AS, but I cant transfer them over. Looking for a Transfer Manager Server....but not look there. When I try to connect to AS from inside the Avid I get this error in the console:

Connecting to workgroup "AvidWG" TM server "asplay-2"
    Workgroup Transfer mode couldn't be determined! The Transfer Manager Server "asplay-2" may not be available.
        GetTMParameters returned 4 - tmParmValue="NULL" tmParmType="NULL" serverName="asplay-2"

So if you actually made this work, I would LOVE to know the secret. FYI, I dont have any of the original TM software....since avid pulled it all down, all i have is the 2.7.5 Interplay TM Client and TM Engine

Thanks

Pro Tools 12.5, Avid Media Composer Adrenaline HD 5.7, Studio Toolkit 5.7 [view my complete system specs]

Eric Bojonell
    Owner
    EBO Music Studios L.L.C.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller