Latest post Wed, May 1 2013 7:10 AM by Randall L. Rike. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 17 2013 2:51 PM

• RobinDS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 25 2009
    • Posts 37
    • Points 510

What's new in DS?

Hi there,

Did I miss any NAB announcements or DS releases? or is there a scary silence on DS development?

• Fri, Apr 19 2013 3:55 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Re: What's new in DS?

Hi Robin, this NAB was all about MC v7. DS is still in development.

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:17 PM In reply to

• RobinDS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 510

That would be lovely but ........ do you think it is true?

I am increasingly worried by Avid's attitude to DS and if they feel it's value and respect. There are quite a number in London and the DS really fills a spot for those facilities. You are the first person to respond to this post, which is a concern in itself

I hope that either V12 rolls out or maybe better would be a relaunch with a more flexible platform independent thunderbolted hokey koky new era!

My fingers are crossed

RIdea

• Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:25 PM In reply to

We had to make a call 6 months or so back on sticking with our DS / Symphony combination and had to make the hard call that DS wasn't going to cut it with our clients. So we now have a Symphony /Resolve setup and thats generating more interest and work.

The cost of the Resolve License? £1K

I'd dearly love to think DS had something really significant to come and hang in their for it but I'd already done that for too mnay years to justify it.

For us the clients made the call. When asked what our grading solution was DS wasn't what they wanted anymore.

But who knows what the future holds. My DS still sits on a trolley waiting...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:16 PM In reply to

• RobinDS
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 510

Do you feel Resolve offers more possibility and scope on a grade than DS, taking into account that it will be quicker?

• Wed, May 1 2013 3:03 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Really depends on your needs Robin. For our shop, we have to turn around reality shows in 3 days. There is no time for roundtripping. We really needed a solution that has advanced paint tools, yet conforms with as much info intact as possible. With extensive use of Fluidmotion, AVX effects, titles etc, we couldn't see ourselves using anything other than DS (occasionally Symphony) to get the number of shows through our shop in the time / budget alloted. 

Depending on your situation, the clients may or may not be supervising. Ours don't know if we use Davinci, Smoke, DS or something else, all they care about is making their deadlines and they leave the tools to us. We simply use the toolset that allows us to push the jobs through fastest. I would say the Source side effects in DS allow us to finish the shows in the shortest amount of time, and re-use the most amount of work from episode to episode.

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Wed, May 1 2013 7:10 AM In reply to

I love DS.  I built a killer DS bay for Derek Herr when I worked for The Post Group.  DS was not shown at NAB, for the first time in many years.  Hmmm ...

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller