Latest post Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:23 PM by digitaldistillery. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:57 AM

avchd problems...

MC6, Quad Core 3.2, 10g ram, media drive sata connected. 

Files linked with ama crash my system. Transcoded files play choppy and loose tc.

Help?

Shooting on a gh3, does other formats fine...

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:22 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,161
    • Points 23,185

Re: avchd problems...

you need to list your system specs so we can look at this as it works very well in my 2

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:45 PM In reply to

Thanks Tom. 10.7.5, MC6.5.2.

I'm wondering do I have enough ram? Linking to other file formats works fine. I have the ama plugin installed. Again, I can link to the files, and see the first frame, but then get timeout/freeze/crash when trying to play.

Can you give me some details on your workflow?

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:57 PM In reply to

Can you send me a small file?  I'd be happy to test one on my end.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:05 PM In reply to

Thanks, will try to here. So I just tried all steps again, frame rate is 24.98 as opposed to 24.976 for project setting, basically the same though right. Here's the error I get when trying to play from a linked directory. I cannot link to a specific file, if I do choose an MTS I get the prompt regarding installing the ama plugin, which has been done.

SFPlayConsumer::ExecuteTIMEOUT

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:34 PM In reply to

Turned off Fast Scrub to no avail...

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:08 PM In reply to

Using the file you provided me, I also get the message about installing the ama plug in.  However it imported just fine.  Plays back flawlessly and looks great.  I'll keep exploring.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:09 PM In reply to

I have 64 GB of RAM by the way.... so scrap that issue.

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:30 PM In reply to

Thanks for testing Todd!

I finally got the *** thing after more trial and error. System can't use link to AMA file or directory. I just have to import the .mts, comes in with TC and plays perfect. I can choose any convert method it seems.

Shouldn't this have been easier, AVID, give me a *** prompt that helps?

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 7:46 PM In reply to

So I did a little further sleuthing.....

What version of the Avid AVCHD plug in do you have installed?  Some manufacturers use non-standard variable GOPs for AVCHD. These are not supported by Media Composer. With older versions of the AVCHD plugin this would cause MC to crash. The newer version v1.2 has been updated to inform the user that these files are not supported in the console and thus avoiding the crash. Such is the case with this file.

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:23 PM In reply to

Good call. I am running v1.2, and I do get that prompt when trying to "link to ama file". I get the freeze/crash when I try and "link to ama volume", as it does the link and will show the first frame, then crash upon trying to play.

I was worried that since the Panasonic GH3 is not as popular as other dslr's that it might not be supported for one reason or another. It has a nice QT wrapper that imports easily, but it's double the size and is a bit washed out, although shows more in the shadows, as the avchd is higher contrast and looses some in the shadows.

BTW, just for testing, I got half the file size and all the quality using avc100 vs. DNxHD 175 for my file import of avchd.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller