Latest post Mon, Jan 8 2018 9:28 AM by Leckerwurstbrot. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer Transfer modes/Layer blending

Thanks a lot guys for trying to me help me out. I really appreciate it.

But this was not the idea with this post.

My idea though was to encourage Avid to make it possible to do layer blending indside MC without having to use 3rd party software. What I would like them do is give us a plugin in the Blend category that takes care of this.

So if you agree with me give this post a +1 or in some way express that you would like this plugin to be made.

Isn't that what this part og the forum is for?

Again, I really appreciate you guys trying to help.

Cheers, Jeppe

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 9:54 AM In reply to

I'm fine with the idea of adding transfer modes natively, but seeing as you can already do that using Avid FX or a third-party plugin, I'd rather Avid concentrate on improving other aspects of the software first.

Media Composer 2018.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 9:57 AM In reply to

Jeppe,

I am completely with you on this one.

I used the DNM plug-in a lot when on Meridien systems, in fact on a Sci-fi series it was used on almost every composite.

I and others have asked for this back in the last century, as it does seem amiss that tranfer modes are not in the basic toolkit.

The BCC composite mode does work well if you have it, however.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:03 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,802
    • Points 200,390
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

camoscato:

I'm fine with the idea of adding transfer modes natively, but seeing as you can already do that using Avid FX or a third-party plugin, I'd rather Avid concentrate on improving other aspects of the software first.

I am with you on that Carl

MC is an NLE, Avid FX is a compositing application.
    They work well together

Better Avid concentrates on the NLE side of things while BorisFX concentrate on the compositing and fx.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:39 PM In reply to

Avid FX's implamation works really well, although it would be great it was actually realtime. BCC has a realtime version. wish they would unlco that in Avid FX. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 5 2013 1:43 PM In reply to

Hello to all .. forgive my bad english but I'm Italian.Embarrassed

However, I completely agree with jeppe.

It 's absurd that you can't do a simple layer blending through avid without using Avid fx. 

Ok it is a NLE software but compositing mode fx i think is a basic operation on the time line..

• Thu, Jan 8 2015 4:27 AM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 17
    • Points 255

*BUMP* Layer modes are how you composite lens flares, leaks and a host of other common lighting effects. It also helps you composite screens on laptops and smartphones which is a very common task for editors. Not everything goes out to an After Effects artist or a Flame anymore. What good is it to track a screen on a phone but you can't use a Screen or Multiply effect to sell the effect right out of the box? Why isn't this included in the so-called "Symphony" option of the latest MC8? Why go to a 3rd party plugin that doesn't work well (BCC Composite makes the blacks look washed out) or After Effects, an Adobe product and your competitor? Saying Avid doesn't have time to add this basic feature is like Apple doesn't have time to add copy and paste a few years ago when Android beat them to it. There's no excuse for this.
    iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5, MC 8.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:30 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 487
    • Points 6,195

Unfortunately Avid relied to much on 3rd party apps. AS we see they are no longer bundled with MC 8. Everything is a seperate buy now and BCC is way over priced as compared to other NLE cost. So yea it would be nice to finally put this inside MC at this point. Wish they would have focused on building a full suite without the need to fully depend on 3rd party apps.

• Mon, Jan 12 2015 11:17 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,329
    • Points 96,285

Avid have at various times owned products that would have been the basis of a great production bundle.  About the only thing that I can't recall in the mix is a decent graphics program.  Their approach seems to be "buy it - do we understand it - dump it".  If Avid had a coherent acquisition plan Adobe would never have got their foot in the door.

It's too late to close it now.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:34 AM In reply to

Now it's even worse.. With the new relase Avid given't any more Avid FX in the box, 
    and Boris Continuum Complete is only lite version without Composite mode.

So, now if you want to do a simple layer blanding you have to buy an external plug in 
    certainly..  

I can't belive it.. You CAN'T do this simple thing with the most popular editing software in the world..

RIDICULOUS.

Ps: sorry for my bad english 
  • Thu, Feb 5 2015 2:50 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 700
    • Points 10,615

You are correct - Avid really should have had this long ago. Although it's true that it can be done with 3rd party software, this type of thinking is the reason for Avid's low market share. Many editors are deciding that the best 3rd party software to add is the Adobe Suite, and then dumping Avid completely. It's like when Avid decided years ago that they would absolutely not import DVD video without 3rd party software. Despite changes in mangement, Avid simply cannot seem to stop making the same industry-lagging decisions year after year. 

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 7:23 PM In reply to

I realy can't understand why..

If you can put spectra mate in your software, paint fx, camera stabilizzator, motion tracking, animate with any kind of mask, second color correction.. why you can not put a stupid transfer mode...?????????

Please Avid let give us a solution..  I really don't want tell to my client: "Yes, I know what you mean, but I can't do it.."

• Tue, Feb 17 2015 1:05 PM In reply to

+1

We really do need a native transfert mode in the effect palett. I already said that but it seems unbelivable to me that MC (the leader) is the ONLY NLE without a native composite effect. At least, add the BCC Composite to the free BCC Lite suite !

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 26 2016 2:01 PM In reply to

• Edit Jack
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 13 2015
    • Germany
    • Posts 19
    • Points 235

+1

ONE: AVID Media Composer 8.8.1 // Mac Pro (End 2013) // 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 // 64 GB RAM / 2xAMD FirePro D500 3072 MB // RAID Promise Pegasus2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 17 2017 7:44 AM In reply to

• zonik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 15 2011
    • Posts 26
    • Points 425

+1

Media Composer 8.8 Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller