Latest post Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:06 PM by ashroth. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:32 AM

• ashroth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 18 2012
    • Posts 40
    • Points 595

Avid FX

Hi folks, Im still relatively new to Avid and I find myself having a problem understanding the Avid FX bundle. From my research it is actually the Boris FX bundle, just renamed to work with Avid.

One thing I cant understand is does it only work in a seperate interface? My friend has a different boris suite, and he is able to drop drag and drop fx directly from the fx panel to the timeline, as opposed to having to use this seperate interface which I feel to be a bit clunky. For titles it might be great, but for just adding something like BCC stablization, it seems like over kill.

Maybe I dont have the workflow down properly, or I keep wondering if I installed it wrong, and I should have the option to both drag and drop the effect directly onto my timeline, or  use a seperate interface for more serious fx endeavours.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Ash

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:53 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,136
    • Points 22,910

Re: Avid FX

Hi and yes it is boris but it works as a plug in in the fx pallet just drop it on to a clip and play

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:12 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

ashroth:
    One thing I cant understand is does it only work in a seperate interface?

Normaly your installation should install Avid FX both as a Plugin and a Standalone version.

As Tom said, the Plugin should reside in your Effects Palette, usually at or near the top of it

It should appear in the left side column as "Avid FX", then on the right side there are 3 choices - you need to drag the upper one (Avid FX Filter) onto the track you want to apply it to.

It is possible that during installation you chose not to install it as a Plugin, but only as a Standalone version.

Normally during installation, when you are given the choice of "Standard" or "Custom", you can choose Custom just to check what it will install.

In the Custom install you can see a list of all applications on your system into which you can install AvidFX. Make sure that MC has not been deselected.

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. what versions of MC and Avid FX are you having the problem with?

Also I will move this thread over to a more appropriate Forum where it should come to the attention of Dirk de Jong who can answer the most on Avid FX.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:45 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Isn't this because MC6 does not include Boris BCC plugins - you now have to pay extra for that.

The same FX are available in Avid FX as 'Filters' but you have to use the Avid FX interface - which I find a mega pain in contrast to having those 'Filters' easily available as effect icons that can be easily dropped onto a clip.

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 12:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

flashavid:
    Isn't this because MC6 does not include Boris BCC plugins

That is a good point, but at the moment we do not know what version of MC is being used.

(That's why I asked for it in my post above)

If it is MC6, and the reference is to BCC filters, then your answer is the correct one!

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:19 PM In reply to

ashroth:
    From my research it is actually the Boris FX bundle, just renamed to work with Avid.

It is identical in terms of effect features to the Boris Red product.

ashroth:
    One thing I cant understand is does it only work in a seperate interface?

Yes.

ashroth:
    My friend has a different boris suite, and he is able to drop drag and drop fx directly from the fx panel to the timeline, as opposed to having to use this seperate interface

That is the product called Boris Continuum Complete. It is currently bundled with Avid Symphony.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:06 PM In reply to

• ashroth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 18 2012
    • Posts 40
    • Points 595

Hi guys,

Yes, I am talking about Media Composer 6. But I can see above  from Dirks post that it looks like I will only be able to work in the seperate interface. Is there a way I can upgrade that so I don't always have to use the seperate interface?

Thanks again for all the info,

Ash

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller