Latest post Tue, Jul 10 2012 4:40 PM by DIESELE. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 6:08 PM

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 13,100

Boris - defaulting to white clip 'off'?

Boris always seems to have 'safe levels' on - I dont want this as I deal with highlights at the grading stage.  Any way to have this defaulted to off?  Also would be nice if it defaulted to progressive renders in a progressive project (although I'm not sure what difference it makes) as I have to change it for every instance.

Cheers

Symphony 2018.11, Blackmagic Intensity Pro (cant get it working well in 4k though for client monitor - which was the point...), WIN 10 on 2000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K2000, Asus X99 Mobo, 4.0 GHz Hex core CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10

VIDEO MEDIA PRODUCTION COMPANY AND FACILITIES CARDIFF, LONDON, BRISTOL, WALES, CRACKING PRODUCTIONS

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 9:12 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Boris - defaulting to white clip 'off'?

I am moving this thread over to a more suitable Forum where Dirk de Jong from Boris FX is always alert and ready to help out with Boris related questions.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 11:42 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 13,100

OK.  Do you have a link or a forum name pls Doug?  Thx

Symphony 2018.11, Blackmagic Intensity Pro (cant get it working well in 4k though for client monitor - which was the point...), WIN 10 on 2000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro K2000, Asus X99 Mobo, 4.0 GHz Hex core CPU, 32Gb 2800 Mhz RAM, WD Black 8Tb RAID10

VIDEO MEDIA PRODUCTION COMPANY AND FACILITIES CARDIFF, LONDON, BRISTOL, WALES, CRACKING PRODUCTIONS

• Sat, Jun 30 2012 3:52 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

DIESELE:

OK.  Do you have a link or a forum name pls Doug?  Thx

It is already here in "Complete your Suite"

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:22 PM In reply to

DIESELE:
    Boris always seems to have 'safe levels' on - I dont want this as I deal with highlights at the grading stage.  Any way to have this defaulted to off?

For Avid FX, it will just "remember" whatever it was last set to and use that as the default. For BCC it used to default to being off, but many users on the Avid-L mail list asked us to change it to on by default so we did (they were complaining that they had to go in and individually enable it for every effect)... We could consider making it a "sticky" preference like it is in Avid FX

DIESELE:
    Also would be nice if it defaulted to progressive renders in a progressive project (although I'm not sure what difference it makes) as I have to change it for every instance.

Before anwering this one, specifically which setting are you referring to here ?

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:47 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 13,100

Hi Dirk

Thanks for the responses.  I'n not following why users wanted to use Boris's safe levels to legalise the odd shot that containedf a BCC plugin!? There are better ways to do that on a whole timeline level, and especially to give options when grading - if its been clipped out BEFORE grading or aplying a 'look' then those puffy clouds might be gone for good!

On the progressive input thing just curious as to how this works Dirk?  Currently for 90% of projects I have to switch clipping off and progressive input/renders(?) on.

Thanks

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 13,100

>bump<

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 3:38 PM In reply to

DIESELE:
    I'n not following why users wanted to use Boris's safe levels to legalise the odd shot that containedf a BCC plugin!? There are better ways

here's the Avid-L discussion (from July 2009)

http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/2009-07/threaded-index.htm#00056 ]

> On Jul 2, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Steve Pomerantz wrote:
    > > And on the subject of plug in rants, what will it take to get Boris  
    > > to make the "safe levels" option a default on BCC??!!  I spend  
    > > countless hours in the online bay going through the timeline and  
    > > checking the box on every Boris effect because the offline editors  
    > > "forgot" again

I was also surprised to get requests for it to be enabled by default... I think in the future we should implement a so-called "sticky" behavior where it uses the last choice it was set to as the default

DIESELE:

Currently for 90% of projects I have to switch clipping off and progressive input/renders(?) on.

My understanding of that "Fields" setting is that it is only relevant in interlaced projects and so you should not have to worry about it at all in Progressive projects. I have a request to an engineer here to confirm that for me and hope to get a response soon. Basically, I believe that setting enables an optimization for interlaced projects, but for certain kinds of effects (3D transformations and titles for example) you can get improved edge quality when it's set to "Quality Optimized"

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 4:40 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Cymru/Wales
    • Posts 1,062
    • Points 13,100

Followed the old thread.  What I dont get is the fact that most cameras record to about 110% luminance (255) - so we all have to deal with that 'overage' (and much more like gamut errors etc) if we are going to tape and for broadcast (usually via a hardware legaliser or an overall Boris safe level plugin for the WHOLE timeline).  I hate just hard slicing the top off - especially as you often avoid introducing this additional clipping' when you lower the black levels (which you often have to do on stuff that has been shot flat). The white comes down too!

Also, as Job (who posts here put it) 'I wouldn't want any effect I apply to clip any levels before I get into the grading room'.

Then add in non OTA broadcast type delivery which HAS the headroom to cope above 100% luminance....

You are being pulled in all directions I can see Kirk so thanks for filling me in.  Other editors/graders input might be useful too ;)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller