Latest post Fri, Nov 18 2011 6:13 AM by irwinpks. 48 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:05 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 22 2011
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

Re: Was MC6 release today

Ha!!

I'm going to load up a 4 camera project and put this 64-bit program through a little stress testing.

A little background from me...I was working with 3.5 ~3 years, then recently bought the 5.5 upgrade back on 11/2/11, installed it, played with it for a day or two.  Since there wasn't any projects, I didn't really get to explore 5.5...and then today, I now have version 6.0

A few things I did notice off the bat was the resource listings now have alternating backgrounds behind the text in the displayed folders/bin...what a Godsend when you have a large list.  Makes it easier to follow line items from left to right.  Seems minor, but when your're staring at the screen for hours on end, makes it a lot easier to view.

Anyway, back to exploring 6.0.

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:59 PM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

Hi Marianna,

I will do my best to retrace my steps...

- download center, the link for MC6 was available for both PC & MAC, I clicked PC.  The download was extremely slow process.  The transfer bombed out after 4 tries and then on the 5th one, I was able to transfer at ~750kb, which took less than an hour to get.

http://esd.avid.com/ProductDownload.aspx?id=807

- my 5.5 was a recent purchase and was activated on 11/2, I deactivated the license prior to install MC6.  During the installation, I was prompted to uninstall MC5.5 within the script. It did, and then proceeded to finish the MC6 install.  Then rebooted

- upon reboot, I'm prompted with the Activate License screen where I'm prompt with my system ID (automatically entered), then the empty boxes for the Activation ID   XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.

--- at this point, I was stuck and called AVID (call 1 of 2)---

I was told to go to http://avid.com/protect (http://www.avid.com/US/support/protect)

while I was on the phone to the person in ROMANIA, I entered the information, but couldn't get through and I forgot what the error message was.  I mentioned that to the Avid tech and they said, that's because you're not registered, so I was directed to the registration page, and then it prompted an error stating that this particula entry was a duplicate registration.   At that point, the Avid tech ask me to call back in a few hours as they were having trouble with their registration servers.  I did notice, that what was there the previous day on the website, was different today...recent programming change?  I'm not sure, but thinking that is what happened.

Anyway, I called back (2 of 2) prior to my post here of success.  The Avid tech cross referenced a few things and my activation of 5.5 back on 11/2, and then sent my code via email.  I plugged that in the MC6 Activate License screen and now I'm all good.

I'm guessing there were a lot of in between things going on that were not quite in place yet.  I've been flipping back and forth between pages on the Avid website.  Bottom line is, I went to the download center where I shouldv'e gone instead to avid.com/protect.  I could download the software, but needed the activation from the flexvversioner where I don't have the support.  On the other hand, I couldn't access avid.com/protect because my registration of 5.5 didn't exist in this particular server, where it did in another.  By crossrefercing was I able to get the activation code from the Avid tech.  The tech also had a problem registering and asked if I could go back online in a few days to register MC6.

Hopefully, this paints a better picture and its not convoluted...lots of things were going on.  In either case (download center/avid-protect), I was forced to contact Avid for a resolve.

Thank you,

Irwin

AVID Media Composer 8.5 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Intel i7-3820 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7700, 256gb SSD (OS & App only), 512gb SSD (Media)... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 18 2011 12:12 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,537
    • Points 209,560
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Irwin,

OK.... First the Download Center whee you got MC is fine to access but for this you should go to www.avid.com/protect as this is the site for those that bought MC 5.5 or an uprgade to MC 5.5 within the grace period (10/15-11/15).   

Now in order to go there and successfully access the software you a. have tto register your original MC at www.avid.com/register and b. if an upgrade then go to www.avid.com/upgrade to upgrade the original registration to MC 5.5 so the protect site sees you.

Once you have done that, and go to www.avid.com/protect, you will be able to download the app's and be presented with your shiney new sparkly activation ID. :)

So - send me your system ID off forum and I will work my magic and sort this for you.... email addy below.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 18 2011 6:13 AM In reply to

• irwinpks
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 825

Hi Marianna,

I'm writing from home.  I'll be out of the office for the next week on vacation.  One of the last things I wanted to get done before leaving today was installing MC6.  When I get back, I'll follow-up with the registration issue.

Thank you for your help,

Irwin

Page 4 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller