Latest post Sun, Aug 14 2011 6:40 PM by DFW Hokie. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:31 PM

Keeping track of clips used in a sequence

Is there a method/feature in Avid to let you know if you have already used a clip in a sequence?   I normally edit scripted material, so I generally know if I've already used a clip in the sequence.   But my current project is an hour-long documentary with thousands of source clips.    Now that I'm halfway into the show, I find myself scanning though the sequence to see if I've already used a shot.

It would be great if a little icon appeared next to each clip in the bin if that clip has already been used.  (Maybe there is already a way to do this, but I just don't know how to do it.)

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:50 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Keeping track of clips used in a sequence

Man, I remember Adobe Premiere back in the mid-nineties doing that.  Awesome and useful little feature.  A little circle in the bin next to the clip, and the number in the circle was how mant times the clip was used in a sequence - anywhere.

I've been asking for this one for years but to no avail - which probably doesn't mean I need to yell it louder, but that with all the last decade's focus on media management over Unity, Interplay, AMA, etc, that it would slow-down the system every time you opened a bin.  Dunno.  Just a guess.  But yes, I'd LOVE to eliminate my manual-labor workarounds -- processes which I always forget to maintain in the heat of the edit.

I do know there ARE third-party ancillary programs that can monitor clip usage... but not off the top of my head.  Do a search in the Feature Requests forum, you'll probably find a bunch.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:54 PM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:
    I'd LOVE to eliminate my manual-labor workarounds -- processes which I always forget to maintain in the heat of the edit.

If there is no way for Avid to do this automatically, I'd love to hear what manual workarounds or techniques editors are using? 

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 5:56 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 15,655
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

There are a bunch.  My current fav is this:

Open Media Tool.  Only select Master Clips; Current Project.  Go to your bin.  Highlight the sequence.  In the Fast Menu, Select Media Relatives.  Edit / Select Clip Color / Green.

Now every clip used in the sequence is green.

Go to your timeline.  Fast Menu.  Turn the timeline's view setting to "Source".  Now all the clips in the sequence are green.  If you ever change a clip, it WON'T be green, and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Not the best, but it works.  Repeat the steps at the end of every day and you'll have a relatively reliable process.

Other manual-labor options:

- creative use of Locators

- creative use of Comments heading - or even create your own heading which you can sort by.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

Great tip.   Thanks!

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:54 PM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:

I remember Adobe Premiere back in the mid-nineties doing that.  Awesome and useful little feature.  A little circle in the bin next to the clip, and the number in the circle was how mant times the clip was used in a sequence - anywhere.

I've been asking for this one for years but to no avail - which probably doesn't mean I need to yell it louder,

I can see one drawback with having that feature.  Say you have an hour long clip that is continuous and you pull different shots from different sections of it to use in your sequence.  Any method that you use to annotate whether the clip has been used or not will be pointless as every clip in the sequence will have come from that one Master Clip.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

• AKA Dave
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 3 2007
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,735

If you are just worried about using a clip more than once in a given sequence, why not just turn on Dupe Detection in the Timeline fast menu?

Dave

MC 8.4.0 with Symphony Option. 27 Inch iMac. 3.5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, OS X 10.10.3 - MacBook Air i5 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 11 2011 9:21 PM In reply to

That's pretty cool !   Based on frames of clips and not just clip names.    But only applies to clips on Track 1.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 12 2011 7:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,551
    • Points 65,105

Dave Messinger:
    only applies to clips on Track 1
    It now works with multiple tracks, as of MC 5 or 5.5, one of the very welcome recently introduced little improvements to the software.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:24 PM In reply to

That's good to know.  Thanks.

I looked in the 5.5 user guide pdf, what's new in 5.5 pdf, and the help menu - and it never mentioned that - only said track one. 

Oh well.

Dell m4600, i7-2820qm, nvidia Quadro 2000M, driver 8.17.12.6696, 16gRam, Win7Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 14 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Bin
    >Select Unreferenced Clips

Basically, it highlights unused clips.
    You can find more info in the HELP file.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller