Latest post Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:26 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:38 PM

• dacfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 11 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

RED Footage and Subclips

Hello all,

I am a student and I am pretty new to avid. I am editing a project shot on RED 4K that was down converted to 1080p files using REDCINE-X. The file names were kept the same in order to make it easy to move back to a higher resolution when necessary. When syncing sound in the timeline, I have been making subclips which I then use autosync on. I named the subclips differently than the master clips. If I edit using these subclips, then later go back and replace the master files with higher resolution files, will the subclips also be updated?

Thanks,

Daniel

Media Composer 5.5.2

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: RED Footage and Subclips

Footage is not linked based on the masterclip's name nor the subclip's name. What matters is source tape or source file and source TC.

If you use RCX to create Avid media in a higher resolution, your footage and sequence will relink to those files based on those criteria.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:08 PM In reply to

• dacfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 11 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

Great! That's a big relief. One more thing, I am also not using MXF files, but instead I am using link to AMA to ProRes files, will that affect anything?

Thanks

• Thu, Aug 11 2011 4:26 PM In reply to

I would not recommend that workflow. Avid plays much nicer with MXF. You can easily transcode the AMA-linked clips into DNxHD and work from there. It's a fast transcode.

That said, it works somewhat different. To which files are you planning to relink later on?

There are multiple ways to go about a Red workflow. You should know which one you're following, and you should not mix two different ones, or you might run into trouble.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller