Latest post Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:04 PM by Larry Rubin. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 18 2011 2:52 PM In reply to

Re: Going Back to Liquid from MC

I use always SuperBin.

Chaos under total control here.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.10 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jul 18 2011 3:50 PM In reply to

Hey Kestutis,

I didn't mean all the bins on my system, just all the bins for my project. Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 18 2011 4:14 PM In reply to

• Kestutis_N
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 2 2007
    • Vilnius
    • Posts 59
    • Points 855

Roger Van Duyn:
    I didn't mean all the bins on my system, just all the bins for my project.
    Roger, I understood it perfectly. I have talked about a few hundred racks inside Liquid.

1system - Intel Core i7-930, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6x2GB DDR 3(Dominator-12800C8*XMP*3CH) RAM, PNY Quadro FX580, WD 150GB SATA2 10KRPM 16MB (system), G-Speed... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

This is a nice discussion on what people expect from a NLE(?) editor. It is obvious that we are not all the same kind of users. This is a mixture of Pro's, semi-Pro's, amateurs. And for the last group (I belong to), there is a whole bunch of different types of users. I know of some that work with a kind of script, shooting scenes which they have thought of in advance.

For me, I shoot what comes before my camera. That is a complete dis-order of scenes. Good nice scenes, bad scenes (lot of distortion, movement, out of focus etc.).

With en edit program like Studio, you start reorganising things so that the first output does not look like a complete chaos. In fact, I remember that Studio offered an automatic scene composer of what was captured.

In Liquid things were more complicated. It was already possible to do things that looked professional. But still, I'm an amateur.

The Pro world (for MC) looks completely different to the editor, I believe. They shoot according to plans, they compose edited material to pre-written scripts. They often use more than one camera, even with different format. So their needs are so different from my basic editing that it is a never ending discussion.

So my approach has changed. I now look more to what other people have made, special effects and, if I can use these in my simple edited movie, I use them. And now people who see my movies, ask me: "how did you do that? It looks a little bit professional". Thanks to MC, a whole bunch of tutorial makers and, sometimes, a movie in YouTube.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 19 2011 7:55 AM In reply to

One of the key tasks in editing (anything more than a very simple job) is organising your shots.

With MC while capturing you can use the F1-F2 keys to mark in's and outs that from subclips. You can even type the name of that subclip while capturing. The rest of the F keys are normally mapped as coloured locators and these to can be used while capturing. And if capturing DV or HDV content (via firewire) you can use scene detection to add locators and or subclip. (this can also be applied to a master clip after capture)

These are just a few ways to help organise the shots. But the next step would be logging. Looking through the content and creating sub clips of the required shots and possibly moving them to new bins that help organise the content.

A little time spent doing this reaps time saved in the creative process (not having to dig through long master clips to find that shot)

Many editors never sub clip and work just from master clips and never sub sequence and re use or re-order subsequences.

So bins and folders are a valuable tool to editors and working practices have been built on them. MC wouldn't be MC if it didn't have bins. (Also a Bin is an explorer/finder object/file) so can be used to easily move clips or sequences, even effects, from one system to another)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:54 AM In reply to

Subsequence? Now that's a very useful idea. Thanks! Then use subsequences in other projects. Great tip about the adding locators during capture too. Something similar I do to that while shooting is to switch to camera bars for a few seconds immediately after shooting an important scene. It makes it easy to find a clip while scrubbing rapidly. In effect, I'm adding a locator while shooting.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:08 PM In reply to

You can subsequence by dragging the clip icon above and to the right of the record monitor or alt drag the window to a bin.

Don't forget double clicking a subsequence will load it into the timeline and record monitor but you can drag a sub sequence to the source monitor and then edit it into a different timeline as you would a normal clip except that the sequence structure is maintained and edited over. really cool.

Now if we had reference sequences like DS it would be even better!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 19 2011 3:28 PM In reply to

That's an efficient way to work. Busy season will be here in a few short weeks. I was pretty fast at getting the work out with Liquid. MC looks to be faster once it's learned.

I'm jotting down handy little cheat sheets that will be turned into workflow plans for the various types of projects I have for different clients of mine.

I used templates a lot in Liquid. Then just inserted various media for different projects. It was a real timesaver. That's my goal with MC too. Efficient workflow. Thanks for the tips.

Also thanks again to Douglas, George, Larry and all you other guys sharing so much practical knowledge with the rest of us.

• Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:36 PM In reply to

I can understand his frustration. If I could find my disk to install the liquid upgrade again, I would. 

Here are some of my complaints.

In liquid you just had to couble click the clip to do motion effects- in MC you have to install a effect (3d blend) and if you want another one, it removes the 3d one.

Smartsounds- In liquid you pressed a button and made the smartsound the size you wanted.

I've tried to do the MC/SS tutorial, and it's amazingly complex- It's easier to figure how long I need it and just make it in SonicFire.

How do you change the width of the tracks?

Why doesn't the sequence box stay where I want it?

Can you preview transitions / effects like in liquid?

Why does it turn off tracks? I've had a few times when I exported it and only one or two tracks were there.

How do you do fades on the tracks? I see the line and can't do anythign with it.

The instructions are HORRIBLE. "Press this button" Okay, where is that button? what does it look like? 

Background rendering (or lack thereof)

Minimal gain/ volume controls. In liquid you could increase both the volume and the gain.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO IMPORT AND EXPORT ANY FORMAT. I had to buy a seperate program to convert it- making another step.

Asus Mother Board AMD Phenom 9750 x64 quad core Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 4 GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:51 PM In reply to

Christopher Allen:
    In liquid you just had to couble click the clip to do motion effects- in MC you have to install a effect (3d blend) and if you want another one, it removes the 3d one.

ALT+drag a second effect to add it without removing the effects that are already there.

Christopher Allen:
    How do you change the width of the tracks?

ALT+l to make them bigger and ALT+k to make them smaller.

Christopher Allen:
    Why doesn't the sequence box stay where I want it?

Which one is the "sequence box"?

Christopher Allen:
    Why does it turn off tracks? I've had a few times when I exported it and only one or two tracks were there.

You can set it up to export all the tracks, or only the tracks that are active.  If you choose the second option, and some of your tracks are turned off, you won't get them in the export.

Christopher Allen:
    How do you do fades on the tracks? I see the line and can't do anythign with it.

To adjust the audio using the line on the audio clip, you have to add at least one keyframe.  To fade you'll need two keyframes.

I don't have any answer for the rest.  It'd be nice if we had background rendering and universal import/export and whatever else.  There's a feature request forum if you'd like to let them know what you want to see in the future.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:04 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Christopher Allen:

ALT+drag a second effect to add it without removing the effects that are already there.

To expand on that a bit, for complete details on combining multiple effects on a single clip, known as nesting, go here. Many other good tips in that same thread.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller