Latest post Tue, Oct 23 2012 9:47 AM by BarkinMadd. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:19 PM

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

AVID DVD Question

When I create a DVD with AVID DVD the DVD starts playing at the begining when inserted as opposed to starting at the menu.  Am I missing a setting somewhere that will make the disk open at the menu and not start playing right away?

Thanks for any input!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,882
    • Points 214,045
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AVID DVD Question

Camilo:
    Thanks for any input!

It sounds like you have the words (First Play) beside the name of your Movie 1 - on the left side under the TITLES heading.

You need to make your MENU the "First Play".

Right click on your MENU and choose "Mark as First Play"

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:54 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

Adding to what Douglas said, for me the best workflow is to create your menu first. Drag a graphic onto the top box when you open a project. Later, when you add media, drag your clips into the section below the menu(s) you've created.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Wed, Jun 15 2011 10:12 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Thanks everyone, I'll give those suggestions a try!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 15 2011 11:57 PM In reply to

• Vidiot Tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 6 2006
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,815

Many thanks to Douglas for his great tutorials!

After timidly trying AvidDVD for small one menu page projects I jumped in with both feet to author a dance recital DVD with 7 menus, most with 6 chapters per menu along with with a "First Play" FBI warning. As Atomike suggested I created the menus a week or so before I shot the recital using an advance copy of the program to label each chapter box.

One of Douglas' tutorials talked about replacing the menu backgrounds with another image. I asked the studio owner to email me the background she used for her printed program & I pulled a widescreen ratio jpg from her graphic. I used the same fonts & colors she used on the printed program, so now my DVD menus tie in very nicely with the theme of the recital and the printed program.

The only major problem I had was with the "Routing" of button pushes for the standard Up/Dow/Right/Left/Enter keys. After rendering the menus and program files to an .iso (this was a widescreen SD project) and burning a DVD-RW disk I discovered that while three of the Chapter Menus worked perfectly, two menus wouldn't let me move the selection up off the "previous page/next page/home" bottom row buttons. So I went back and studied the "Routing" portion of each button as well as the numbering syatem for each button until I finally figured out the routing process. Then it was just a matter of checking the routing sequence for each menu button and checking the function of all the button pushes in "Simulate". After rerendering the project and burning another DVD-RW disk all the button pushes worked as I wanted the to.

Thanks again to Douglas!

System Specs: Dell M90, 4GB Ram (3GB Avid Enabled), nVidia FX 1500 w/ driver 8.4.2.9, MC 2.8, QT 7.2, External WD 750 GB eSata Drive [view my complete system specs]

Steve Godsey, CLVS

Some producers are like slinkies: Completely useless, but you can't help but smile when you push one down the stairs.

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,882
    • Points 214,045
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Vidiot Tech:
    Many thanks to Douglas for his great tutorials!

I am happy to hear that yet another "customer" is happy with my products.... Geeked

The routing of the buttons is, as you described, not so difficult if you check them before burning.
    I cannot even remember what I have in the (over 3 hours) tutorials about button routing. I suspect that I don't even mention it. In that case it is a serious miss on my part.

Probably I will make a newer - more up to date - version of my DVD/Blu-Ray tutorials at a later date. I will make sure to cover that area too.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:30 AM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Vidiot Tech:

The only major problem I had was with the "Routing" of button pushes for the standard Up/Dow/Right/Left/Enter keys.

This an issue to watch for when creating menus and then removing media. If you delete a movie that is link to a button, the routing will change to miss this button. Adding new media and linking to the button does not update the routing.

Easily fixed by clicking the "refresh routing" button.

HP 8710W 4 Gig Ram. M.C. 6.0.5. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 2:09 PM In reply to

• Vidiot Tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 6 2006
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,815

AdamGiles:

Vidiot Tech:

The only major problem I had was with the "Routing" of button pushes for the standard Up/Dow/Right/Left/Enter keys.

This an issue to watch for when creating menus and then removing media. If you delete a movie that is link to a button, the routing will change to miss this button. Adding new media and linking to the button does not update the routing.

Easily fixed by clicking the "refresh routing" button.

Thanks AdamGiles.

I don't think that was my problem, as I hadn't deleted anything from the project. Really I don't know what the actual problem was, just that it worked after I went through & double checked the routing on all the buttons.

And remember, "Simulate" is your friend. This allows you to check your button routings as well as chapter points before you spend the time rendering the DVD.

System Specs: Dell M90, 4GB Ram (3GB Avid Enabled), nVidia FX 1500 w/ driver 8.4.2.9, MC 2.8, QT 7.2, External WD 750 GB eSata Drive [view my complete system specs]

Steve Godsey, CLVS

Some producers are like slinkies: Completely useless, but you can't help but smile when you push one down the stairs.

• Tue, Oct 23 2012 3:41 AM In reply to

• MIT LAB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 29 2009
    • Posts 90
    • Points 1,535

How do I start a new thread???????

Work: HP Z800 8 core, 48Gb Ram, FX4800, 15K SAS, USB 3.0 G Drives, Matrox MXO2 mini, Dell 30 inch monitors displayport, Home:HP XW8200, XP pro SP3,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 23 2012 9:47 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,584
    • Points 59,890

You make me laugh!

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller