Latest post Thu, May 19 2011 1:52 PM by BenoitM. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 17 2011 12:00 PM

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,660

AvidDVD chapters export ?

I have a preencoded file in my AVid DVD project, and quite some chapters linked to menus.

Now the client wants a small change somewhere in the video (1.5 hour single MPEG file)...and I would like to save the time to re-encode and re-author the whole movie

I have successfully "patched" the MPEG video file (using a smart GOP-friendly MPEG editing program) into a new "legal" file (this new movie imports flawlessly in an empty AvidDVD project).

I haven't figured out yet how to replace the existing movie of the project with the new MPEG file (exact same length, same number of frames) without losing the chapters...:

- if I simply import the new movie and replace the old one by the documented drag-drop method, the chapters go away.

- if I rename the new MPEG file to the old name in the hope of simply fooling AvidDVD when opening the saved project, I get all sorts of errors (I tried several methods like keeping the new corresponding *_ses directory, or renaming it, or replacing it with the content of the previous one)

& I haven't found a way to export the chapter points...

Any suggestions ?

MC 2018.5 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 24 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, May 17 2011 12:10 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Re: AvidDVD chapters export ?

If your media is of the exact same length, you can replace the video by first deleting the old video, your chapter marks will be hanging on the audio track, at least that have been a fact with previous versions, and then add the new video.

Now the audio can be exchanged in the same way

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, May 17 2011 5:39 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,660

That was the expected behavioour :-)

But actually when you try that, the chapter marks vanish....

MC 2018.5 (Symphony option)/BCC 10.0.5/RED 5.6; Matrox MXO2 Mini (8.0.0); DELL Precision M4700 - Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7 GHz - 24 GB RAM; nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 17 2011 5:46 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

This have worked with previous versions, if I get some time, I will do a new try if noone else does it before me

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 18 2011 3:10 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 576
    • Points 6,490

benoit,

to replace, if you drag either the new audio, or video, on top of the old one, from the right side of the app. under media tab,

it works perfectly, keeping the chapter marks.

do not use the left section, under titles.

i have 6.1.1

mc 2018.8 with symphony - win 10 pro64 v.1803 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (398.36) - intel i7 6800k@4.1ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Wed, May 18 2011 4:24 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Thanks for confirming that it still works as it used to Touviere

Benoit, could you do a new check and tell if that workflow doesn´t work for you

Tomas 

• Wed, May 18 2011 7:12 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,660

touviere7:
    if you drag either the new audio, or video, on top of the old one, from the right side of the app. under media tab

and I drag it on the "old" video track of the _timeline_, right ?

well I tried twice, and always get the same result....is it perhaps because the existing chapter marks are already linked to menu items  ?

and oh, BTW, I do this in AvidDVD 6.1, not 6.1.1....(because of the unexpected re-encode issue)

• Wed, May 18 2011 9:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Benoit, what are the properties of your source files and do they have enbedded audio ?

edited ..   One thing to try is to export a wav out of your project and place that on A2 to have the chapter marks hanging on that one whilst changing the other tracks, just remove that wav when you are finished ( if you don´t want to use it of course )

Tomas 

• Thu, May 19 2011 1:52 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,660

Here is what I did exactly:

1) import initial movie from a single muxed MPEG-2 PS file (so yes, embedded AC3 audio)

2) add chapters

3) create menu

4) link menu buttons to chapters, set menu buttons properties

5) test save & close project

then, after small correction in the movie, saved as a new pre-encoded file:

1) open project

2) import the new version of the video to be replaced (also single muxed MPEG-2 file with AC3 audio, same length)

3) delete the existing audio on first track (to avoid getting the new audio on a second audio track)

4) drag-drop the new video over the old one on the timeline: the video gets replaced (expected), the audio is added again on the first audio track (expected)...and the chapter marks vanish (unexpected).

5) so I recreated the chapter marks and re-linked the existing buttons to them.

And here is what I discovered some time after Super Angry : the menu button properties (select/highlight color etc) were also reset (most likely in step #4 above) !!! The result is that I have a fully functional menu EXCEPT that the selected buttons don't get highlighted, making it difficult to select the correct entry (button) with a DVD player remote control: one has to guess which button is selected before pressing enter/select (less of a problem with computer playback b/c there's a mouse...).

Very unfortunately, I discovered this last point too late to fix: the final master was already given to the client (we had fully checked the functionalities of the DVD incl. menus with the first version of the DVD - and we did not notice the problem when checking the corrections made in the final version - who in this forum is always checking every single bit of a DVD after fixing a single small problem in the movie ??? Stick out tongue )

Maybe these two problems wouldn't have occurred if using separate .m2v / .ac3 files - I'll try this in my next project, as for this one, it's too late (project and related data already erased - moving on to the next)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller