Latest post Mon, Jan 9 2012 12:53 PM by Larry Rubin. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 9 2011 1:50 PM

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Avid MC 5.5.1 Audio Scrubbing sounds all wrong!

Hi,

I've recently upgraded our 3 Avid suites at work from 3.5.9 to 5.5.1.  Averything seems to work fine apart from the Audio Scrubbing function which sounds like this:

Listen!

(If the audio is not playing - it basically sounds like the normal scrubbing but at a massively lower bit rate - playing much slower than usual)

I've updated all the drivers and codecs to the Avid recomended.  I've tried adjusting the Scrubbing settings which also seems to make no diffecence.

Has anyone ever seen this or have any suggestions?

Any help would be hugely appreciated,

Thanks,

Ben

3 x HP z800 1 x HP z820 Avid MC 8.4 Windows 7 professional QT version 7.9.7 ----------------------------------- Edit Share Storage 64TB Thekus 12TB NAS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2011 1:52 PM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Re: Avid MC 5.5.1 Audio Scrubbing sounds all wrong!

I didn't mention that this is affecting all three computers that were updating - not just one!,

Cheers,

Ben

3 x HP z800 1 x HP z820 Avid MC 8.4 Windows 7 professional QT version 7.9.7 ----------------------------------- Edit Share Storage 64TB Thekus 12TB NAS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,579
    • Points 65,455

Ben, there's a misprint in some of the Avid documentation: You should be running QuickTime 7.6.9; other than that I've had audiuo scrub troubles too, if You're like me on a DNA system (Adrenaline, analog and SDI Mojo) be aware that I've had to replace the Pyro firewire card with an approved Startech controller, the problems I was experiencing were different than Yours however.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, May 9 2011 2:25 PM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Ah that's interesting Luca - thanks for the quick response!  I'll give the correct QT version a try and see if it changes anything,

B

• Mon, May 9 2011 3:20 PM In reply to

• Ivan Zuccon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 15 2010
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Points 535

I’ve seen this issue me too Ben. Try disabling the fast scrub option from the timeline menu. I solved the problem this way.

Symphony 6 - Mac Pro Nehalem - 16GB RAM - Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 9 2011 4:36 PM In reply to

• erik1185
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 1,063
    • Points 13,095

I just came across this issue in a 30i project. I believe it worked fine in a 1080p/23.976 project.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 10 2011 10:36 AM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Hi - thanks for all your suggestions.

I've now updated to the latest version of QT.

Turning off 'Fast Scrub' in the timeline settings menu sort of works in that it now sounds closer to how it used to, but now it throws up an Audio Hardware Underrun error (black screen in the sequence monitor with the text 'Audio Hardware Underrun' in lower left corner) the flashes every frame that you scrub.  So I can scrubb like usuall but the video flashes this error the whole time! :( 

I've tried several diffeerent project formats (I'm in PAL land here so 50i and 25p) and no change.  

Can anyone think of anything else?  What usually causes an Audio Hardware Underrun?

Thanks,

B

• Tue, May 10 2011 11:16 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Ben:

it throws up an Audio Hardware Underrun error (black screen in the sequence monitor with the text 'Audio Hardware Underrun' in lower left corner) the flashes every frame that you scrub.  So I can scrubb like usuall but the video flashes this error the whole time! :( 

I am seeing this on my low end XP sys, what OS are you using ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, May 10 2011 11:22 AM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

I'm on Windows XP - do you think this could be the reason?  The XW8600 crates we have meet the spec in the guidelines set out by Avid to run 5.5, so I'm confused.

Filed under:
  • Tue, May 10 2011 11:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

So we are seeing the same thing, the strange part is that I can scrub even on my XP sys when using the Artist Transport, ( thats propably my reason to not have seen this before ) I will take a little discussion about this off line.

My MacBook Pro works well when doing this even with the keyboard, doesn´t help you unfortunately

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, May 10 2011 12:01 PM In reply to

I've been having this same audio scrub issue since day one with 5.5.1.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 10 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Yes, i have seen reports about that but that Audio Hardware Underrun error was a new one I believe, only seen on XP systems from what I can understand.

As said, the Transport allows me to scrub well even on my XP system.

Tomas 

• Tue, May 10 2011 1:00 PM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • London, UK
    • Posts 30
    • Points 415

Interesting.  I don't know anything about the Artist Transport system - does it do any kind of audio/video processing or is it just a controller?  Might that help narrow things down?  It seems strange Avid would not have picked this up testing the software on the older systems.  I'm using all the recomnended drivers and I've tried accessing media from a local drive as well as our EditShare server - still the same.

• Wed, Sep 14 2011 2:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,268
    • Points 218,980
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Luca, Tomas, Ben et al.....

This has come up before and I posted a note on it......  basically that engineering is aware of this issue and we are working on correcting it. 

The issue is specific to XP in SW only mode and doesnt occur on Vista or Win 7 systems.  WE also know that this doesnt occur with Avid hardware attached either.  

In the short term you could always upgrade your OS..... 

I know thats not the ideal but we are working on it and expect to resolve in the future,

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Oct 15 2011 4:06 AM In reply to

• jc1148
    • Not Ranked
    • Granbury, TX
    • Posts 18
    • Points 200

Hi Marianna,

You have been a great help many times.  Thanks.
    John Cherryhomes
    xw8400, xeon 5160, Nivdia Quadro 3500, Win XP Pro SP3.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

I have only recently upgraded from 5.0 to 5.5.3 and guess what, my Scrub on the keyboard is great, typical.  However the scrub on the time line using the mouse is nothing like before, it not clear at all
    and
    generates horrific distorted sound, no way to edit to a specific sound or get rid of a pop.  

I noticed I was not the only one and wanted to ask you had heard anything at all, rumors, facts, or if there has been anything solution determined by Avid or otherwise yet?

When you scrub with the J-K-L keys, it is normal and perfect, as typical in the Media Composer.
    This should be a simple dilema, you think?

Anyway the sound is just awful and stops me cold, when one is used to editing with it working,
    and your are looking/listening for the exact sound or spoken word to mark your in point.

Upgrade, well of course, in the future.  Right now budgets will not allow since we are not working full
    time in this economy, it is tough for us little guys.

We still love AVID, it is the best NLE in the world.

Again, thanks for your wisdom and keeping the world informed on the world of AVID.
    John

Dell Precision T7500 Workstation, USB AVID Dongle. Dual Processors - Xeon Six Core 5670 @ 2.93Ghz, 24GB RAM. Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit SP 1. HD C:\ Kingston... [view my complete system specs]

John Cherryhomes
    Avid MC 8.6.1 / Custom Intel MB / Intel I7 / 64GB ram / 12 TB Raid / Nvidia D5000 / Win 10 Pro
    Granbury, Texas

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller