Latest post Tue, Mar 22 2011 9:04 PM by Marianna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 12:39 PM

• Hoh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2005
    • Ohio
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,395

Is there any way to get an HD Menu when burning Blu-ray with Avid DVD?

I am authoring and burning BDs just fine with Avid DVD but the menus are not High Def.  I bring in a full 1920x1080 jpeg and set up a menu, but after it is authored and I play it back on a blu-ray player it is apparent that the menu is Standard Def.  Is there a setting or workaround for this, or am I stuck with SD menus for my HD videos?

(1): Media Composer 8.9.2 ∙ Windows 7 Pro ∙ HP Z840 Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz ∙ 32GB RAM HP Samsung DDR4 2133 ∙ NVIDIA Quadro K4200 385.69 ∙ Matrox Mojito... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,538
    • Points 209,575
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Is there any way to get an HD Menu when burning Blu-ray with Avid DVD?

Hello Darin,

I have not had any noticeable trouble with the quality of the menus when doing Blu-Ray discs.

Here a a few things that may affect the quality.
    But you would have to test them for yourself.

Are you using a 16:9 Menu Template?

Are you making your own menus with background pictures? If so, are the background images in a 1920x1080 ratio - so that they do not have to be stretched by AvidDVD to fit the screen?

Are you using a good font for the menu?

Is the font too small?

Have you never had any quality when doing this earlier? Or is it recently that you noticed?

Can't think of anything else for the time being.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:05 PM In reply to

You definatley can do full HD menus. We do all the time. Not sure what we do to make that happen but I'll have a look at one of our projects. I do know the frame rate for the menus has to be set to match the content or it creates menus at the default frame rate 23.98 I think!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:32 PM In reply to

• Hoh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2005
    • Ohio
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,395

Thank you for the quick response.  I should mention that I am not using video, I am using still image JPEGs. and when put on a 60" HD monitor the menu graphics and fonts are soft (like they are being up-rezzed).  When I view a video it is sharp and looks great, and there is definitely a difference when you go back to the menu and see the fuzzy graphics.

Pat Horridge:

You definatley can do full HD menus. We do all the time. Not sure what we do to make that happen but I'll have a look at one of our projects. I do know the frame rate for the menus has to be set to match the content or it creates menus at the default frame rate 23.98 I think!

(1): Media Composer 8.9.2 ∙ Windows 7 Pro ∙ HP Z840 Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz ∙ 32GB RAM HP Samsung DDR4 2133 ∙ NVIDIA Quadro K4200 385.69 ∙ Matrox Mojito... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 22 2011 9:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,538
    • Points 209,575
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hoh:
    I should mention that I am not using video, I am using still image JPEGs

That may explain a lot.

Watch this Video Tutorial I made on this topic and see if it can give you some ideas that might help.

It is made using Sonic DVDitPro HD, but it is essentially the same probramme as AvidDVD

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller