Latest post Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:33 PM by Marianna. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:31 PM

• Marks AV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 2 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Camtasia output to Avid import? Looks lousy.??

I have a Camtasia screencast I'd like to put on a timeline to edit it in with video.  I've imported it directly as MP4 and it looks terrible. I tried WMV and it wouldn't import it. So I tried Squeeze, as DV.  I'm lost, so many options, what should I do to maintain the integrity of the screencast? 

Filed under:
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:28 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Camtasia output to Avid import? Looks lousy.??

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums!

In my experience, Camtasia tends to look terrible just because I have yet to receive a file that isn't terrible. Assuming that you, on the off chance, got a file that can be edited, what resolution did you bring the mp4 in at?

If mp4 is the original format, I would avoid encoding, as you're likely to lose even more quality through that.

Hope this helps!

Z

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 1:23 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Zac Hogle:
    In my experience, Camtasia tends to look terrible just because I have yet to receive a file that isn't terrible.

In my experience mp4 original Camtasia files import very well into MC.

Zac Hogle:
    If mp4 is the original format

I have the same question as Zac!

Do you have the  original screencast mp4 file?
    Is your file source a screen recording of a Screencast file during playback?

When exporting an original Camtasia recording for Screencast mp4 playback you choose the settings for bitrate and quality.
    If these were low, then you would not expect the import into MC to look so great.

If you have done a screen recording of such a Screencast video then there is no way you can get good enough quality when you import into MC.

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. If you have an original Camtasia recording then you should do the editing in Camtasia in order to be able to control the quality.

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:25 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

"PS. If you have an original Camtasia recording then you should do the editing in Camtasia in order to be able to control the quality."

When I was using Liquid this is a tip Douglas gave me a long time ago and beleive me it was good advise.

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 10 2011 4:19 AM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,715

Marks AV:

I have a Camtasia screencast I'd like to put on a timeline to edit it in with video.  I've imported it directly as MP4 and it looks terrible. I tried WMV and it wouldn't import it. So I tried Squeeze, as DV.  I'm lost, so many options, what should I do to maintain the integrity of the screencast? 

When you say it looks terrible... exactly how does it look terrible.... are the colors washed out... is it pixelated... etc... describe in detail what you mean by "terrible"... posting a sample would be a real plus.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:36 PM In reply to

• Marks AV
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Thanks...the overall quality is very blurry and near impossible to read any of it.  Besides Camtasia how are you all capturing screen casts? I have not purchased this but would love a better solution. Something to incorporate editing techniques with besides cuts as in Camtasia. 

• Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mark,

Let me come back to a couple of your original pieces of information.

Marks AV:
    I have a Camtasia screencast

Do you mean that you have done a screen capture of a Camtasia screencast?

Or do you mean you have a Camtasia project with the MP4 file that you created to upload to TechSmith's Screencast site?

If neither of the above - how have you had the screencast file delivered?

I have done one or two tutorials using Camtasia in my time and normally I would never be using them in MC.
    But today, I tried importing one of my PM4 tutorials into MC. The results were as knife-sharp as the original Camtasia produced MP4.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 12:45 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Thanks, Douglas.  I was steering coworkers down the Camtasia path, based on published specs and my experience with Snagit.  (This thread had me worried for a while.  I feel better now.)

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

• Marks AV
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Doug,

I'm new to MC from Liquid.  How do I import this "tutorial" into MC? We created a sample of screencast in Camtasia. It has it's own format, I can output to a number of others (Publish). I tried the MP4. I must have imported it wrong, it seemed like it converted it.

Thanks,

MAV

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 11:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hello Marks,

Welcome to the Community.

Marks AV:
    We created a sample of screencast in Camtasia.

Not quite sure what you mean by that.
    Screencast is TechSmith's site for uploading finished projects to. Allowing you to share the content with others.
    Do you mean that

1. You are capturing a Screencast playback using Camtasia Stusio?

2. You have uploaded a project that you created from scratch in Camtasia Studio?

Marks AV:
    It has it's own format

Camtsia can capture in .camrec or in .avi format.
    Each of the capture choices have a variety of compression settings, where you can choose different codecs.
    One of the choices is "Full Frames (uncompressed)"

I am also curious as to why you would want to import a Tutorial into MC.
    I am not saying that you do not have to do it, just wondered what you were wanting to do with the tutorial after it was imported.
    To edit any Camtasia project, there is no better way than to do it directly in Camtasia itself.

Your import quality will depend very much on the quality of the original Camtasia files that you have recorded.

Regards,
    Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:20 PM In reply to

• Marks AV
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Douglas,

You were interested in why we want to take the recording of the screen tutorial (the screencast) Not screencast where Camtasia lets you upload files, but the actual screen recording, and bring it into MC5.  We want to edit to create a tutorial which includes input from a multi-camera shoot, using the screen recording on the timeline and switch between video previously recorded.  We'd like to have at least 3 or more tracks.   Does that make sense?

Thanks,

MAV

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marks AV:
    we want to take the recording of the screen tutorial (the screencast) Not screencast where Camtasia lets you upload files, but the actual screen recording, and bring it into MC5.

Yes indeed, Marks

That makes things a lot clearer.

I will try and find some time later today to give you a few tips (I have a lot of lessons this morning... so in a bit of a rush) . .  but right now here is one.

Capture at the size (resolution) that your MC project will be using. Or, at least, proportionally connected to that resolution.

E.g. If you are going to be using MC at 1920 x 1080 -  then capture with the Camtasia Capture window at 1920 x 1080 - or same proportions ..... e.g. 960 x 540 etc.

Also I think you should remember to set the frame rate of the Camtasia capture to the same as you project (especially if there is a lot of motion in your captured material).

Sorry, must go for now . . . . . . .

Regards,

Douglas

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller