Latest post Sun, Feb 6 2011 3:47 AM by Marianna. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 5 2011 5:32 AM

• RickToxik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 18 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 260

Avid FX (and BCC) titles rendering time

Hi!  I'm just finishing my first project with MC5.  It really was fun and I found the sowftware very powerfull.  However, the hardest part of my work was creating titles, and I don't understand the reason for this really well...

I was not using the title tool, which was maybe too basic for the job.  I both tried the BCC title tool (not sure what was the name) and AvidFX titles...  BOY, that was hard.  It sometimes takes 30-50 mins to render a simple title from AvidFX, and if i ever forget to hit the render effect button right away after I've finished to create animated titles, the software is more likely to crash.

I must add that i work a lot with clips with an alpha channels. that seems to be an overkill for the system while working with titles.  Wow, transparency is hard to deal with in Avid...  But I just don't have the choice!  I also animate my titles, with the motion blur option when possible.

I am not finished watching the excellent tutorials Douglas made on the title tool in Avid FX, but does anybody have some tips to share to make my next project easier?  Thank you!

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,215
    • Points 218,190
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid FX (and BCC) titles rendering time

RickToxik:
    does anybody have some tips to share to make my next project easier?

Rick,
    I think that you will find that the CPU (2 core vs 4 core) and your graphic card (especially its onboard memory) will have a lot to do with the time to process AvidFX and more especially BCC filter effects.
    In the BCC filters the 3D Objects - mainly the Extruded text definitely place high demands on the processing power of your computer.

I don' have any tips to make your next project easier, but if you contact me by email I will give you some information about some new tutorials I am in the process of making at the moment. The first 20 or so will deal mainly with the BCC 3D Objects - Extruded Text.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Feb 6 2011 3:19 AM In reply to

• RickToxik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 18 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 260

Douglas,

thanks again for your very good tutorials.  I hope you'll get this the right way and receive it as a compliment, but your voice kind of reminds me of Splinter in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so I always feel like receving the Art of Knowledge in the ninja way when I watch your tutorials...Idea  I know I watch too many movies.  Ok ok ok, the basic is thank you, those tutorials are very usefull and pleasing at the same time (great footage too).

drbgaijin:
    I think that you will find that the CPU (2 core vs 4 core) and your graphic card (especially its onboard memory) will have a lot to do with the time to process AvidFX and more especially BCC filter effects.

I'm one of the lucky fews how can enjoy the best of both worlds: 4 cores with a Quadro FX 3800.  That's why I was kind of worried of the long rendering time of Titles in MC5.

drbgaijin:
    In the BCC filters the 3D Objects - mainly the Extruded text definitely place high demands on the processing power of your computer. I don't have any tips to make your next project easier...

All right!  You just did!  I was working exclusively with extruded text, but as tonight I am creating the last titles for my project, I think I just understood what else is making my the process very long.

I like to work with clips containing unrendered effects.  I am a little bit unfamiliar with the fact that when you move an effect in the timeline, or trim it, you loose the render you just did.  so I end up with many tracks, with many unrendered effects in many clips.

However, I just found out that if you apply (render) a title on top of a clip with unrendered effects, it will take X-time longer than usual.  So that was it I guess, and sometimes, in conjunction with fades etc, viewing the result in the viewport is too demanding and it makes my system crash.

I had to switch to AVID in the middle of a project, so I have not had the time yet to go through all your tutorials on creating a title in AvidFX.  I am not crawling anymore, but I am not running yet ;)  I think I'm at part 5-6...  I plan to go through the entire lesson though, I am very curious about avidfx, it seems very powerful.

Oh!  just before leaving and while I have your attention :) is there anyway to "merge" an effect (in avidfx) from the library browser with an existing title?  Or do you absolutely have to create the effect from scratch by the library in order to have this effect?

Thanks again! 

• Sun, Feb 6 2011 3:47 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,215
    • Points 218,190
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

RickToxik:

drbgaijin:
    In the BCC filters the 3D Objects - mainly the Extruded text definitely place high demands on the processing power of your computer. I don't have any tips to make your next project easier...

All right!  You just did! 

Well I hope that you really have found an answer.

Now that I know you were working with the Extruded Text, let me also mention that you should NOT adjust any of the settings under the RENDER tab! Especially "Polygon Count", "Motion Blur" etc.
    They will all slow down your machine while you are working.

Get your text all ready and set up. Then just before you are going to do the final "Apply" you can set those extra parameters.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller