Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 21 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:54 AM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

Re: MC5 Interface Settings Referendum - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

What is the idea behind having smart tools re-enable when coming out of trimming mode? I don't think i've ever needed to use a smart tool after trimming? Isn't that sort of the point of trimming, to get an edit right where you want it? Why would I then want an arrow?

Is it to move the next clip near where I want it? But I've already done that, I lay out a rough edit all at once, then go back and trim.

Am I doing something wrong?

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:55 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    ...their (Avid's) interpretation of what a publicly traded company can disclose about future, revenue generating products seems way too strict.

And this is the achille's heel in Avid's philosophy that definitely needs a re-evaluation by the senior management at Avid. It's one of the main things tying their hands behind their backs and placing gags in their mouths as it pertains to their posture relative to what their competitors are doing, and seriously compromises their position in the marketplace relative to their ability to both attract new customers keep their existing ones.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:09 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 23 2011
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,495

BobbyMurcerFan:
    First off, Avid of course has a CEO, Gary Greenfield--his name is very much out there with all things Avid.
    Hi Bobby Mercer Fan Man: OK. CEO is Gary Greenfield. Sorry I missed the man's name. I put a shout out to Mr. Gary Greenfield. Sir, would you come on to this thread and talk with us about all this MC 5.x and direction stuff, please ? Also, could you give us your thoughts about the company's direction & vision, please ?

Respectfully,

Mark Job

HP nw 9440 ISV Certified Workstation with nVidia Quaddro FX 1500 M w/512 MB of on board GDDR 3 RAM GPU, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:32 AM In reply to

I want to say that I believe that as a whole, MC 5 is not a mistake, but there are some very definite shortcomings to MC 5 that were hastily and poorly thought out and are weaknesses that need serious re-evaluation - especially as the continued, well-correlated comments on that subject demonstrates in this ongoing thread and others.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

Hi Andrew,

AndrewAction:
    camoscato:
    So I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to default the ST to off and put a note in the ReadMe about how to turn it on
    Who asked for that Carl?

I thought you did in this post:

AndrewAction:
    I still think that as a clean install of MC 5 results in most of the "new" stuff being ON by default the readme SHOULD have a PROMINENT section for existing users on how to turn off as much of the "new UI features" as is posible before they start using MC5.

I didn't realize you meant this should be done in the future for things "LIKE" the Smart Tool, and honestly, I don't see what difference all of that semantics makes because my point would be the same.  Avid's not going to introduce a new feature by saying, "Here's a great new feature that our long-time user base may not like, so here's how to turn it off!"

AndrewAction:
    camoscato:
    because from their point of view it works.
    I have yet to see one Avid person say that the ST is, or even could be, as fast or more efficient than the previous workflows.  So are you saying defauling to a slower, less efficient default interface is their idea of woking? I sure hope not.

I'm not saying anything about the Smart Tool's efficiency.  I'm saying it looks to me like Avid doesn't share the view that the Smart Tool is a bad idea.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:58 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

camoscato:
    Avid's not going to introduce a new feature by saying, "Here's a great new feature that our long-time user base may not like, so here's how to turn it off!"

Good point.  Nor will they develop parallel versions of a "classic mode" (IMHO).  Here we are asking for Avid to be agile and proactive and reactive to our editorial workflows but also want them to shadow these developments in a "classic mode"?  And what is the definition of the "classic mode"?  MC4?   Seems like this thought process could slow down the development process.  Have the options to use these new tools?  Sure, that would be nice.  But to keep MC4 alive as a classic mode because some believe this is the peak of Avid efficiency seems remote.  

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:22 PM In reply to

"Some People"

Many I think.

We are not luddites.

(Give me Node based compositing with no cocatenation. True 3D space. Automation on the RTAS plug-ins on each track (without which the plug-ins are not much use.))

Unless you are dealing with short sequences and only a few tracks the changes in the ways one can interact with the timeline in MC5 are not an improvement.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:22 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    Have the options to use these new tools?  Sure, that would be nice.

Right.  Like the SuperBin.  I've never used it and don't like it, so when I'm doing my user settings at a new machine, I turn it off in bin settings and never think about it again.  If, when introducing a new way to do an old task (like they have with Smart Tool or Advanced Keyframes), I'd appreciate a setting someplace to turn it off if I want to.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:32 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

camoscato:
    Like the SuperBin.  I've never used it and don't like it, so when I'm doing my user settings at a new machine, I turn it off in bin settings and never think about it again.

Thats funny because I used the Superbin function alot.  For me it saves valuable real estate...again, a good example of setting up features that could be activated or not in user settings no matter what version (versus keeping a classic version alive).  I do think (risking speculation here) that Avid will need to offer a way to disable and remove the ST.  I can tell you that folks were asking for this from early beta and the request has not waned.  We shall see.

Scott Witthaus

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,090

camoscato:
    Avid's not going to introduce a new feature by saying, "Here's a great new feature that our long-time user base may not like, so here's how to turn it off!"

Well, no; a smart designer and copywriter would put it the other way around: "Here's a great new feature/mode that we've added to this version, and to enable this functionality, go in to your Settings and check this box to turn it on".

Most good software works this way these days, from shareware developers to major web services. It's called "positive option". Examples would be the 'new' Twitter, introduced last year, or Facebook's 'new' messaging, still rolling out.

The opposite of this approach is "negative option" -- which is the way the ST was introduced: you have to specifically opt OUT if you don't want it, or even worse as in the case of the CTRL key changes, you get no option at all. Notably, "negative option" in the marketing world (e.g. when your cable company adds new options to your package and raises your rate while only giving you a tiny window of opportunity to opt out) is considered bad conduct and is against consumer protection laws in many jurisdictions.

Facebook also learned this from experience: last year, when they changed the whole structure of their users' privacy settings in a 'negative option' manner without really notifying anyone or explaining the change, they created an outrage. Guess what happened? They admitted they were wrong and re-wrote the settings so users could restore their privacy. Avid needs to own this and just do the simple and humble thing: give us the g.....n option (Moderator edit - NO CURSING!). These features should have been ADDITIONS rather than REPLACEMENTS. Or to put it another way for the designers: think "Insert", not "Overwrite".

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,214
    • Points 218,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

switthaus:
     I do think (risking speculation here) that Avid will need to offer a way to disable and remove the ST.  I can tell you that folks were asking for this from early beta and the request has not waned.

Getting late here, and I may be misunderstanding the situation described above.

But to my fuzzy brain it sound like some beta testers were not happy with the smart tool. If that was the case it would contradict earlier reports on how happy most beta testers were with the smart tool.

If I am misunderstanding or recollecting incorrectly, please just ignore this post......

Zzzzzzzzz

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,254
    • Points 30,475

drbgaijin:
    But to my fuzzy brain it sound like some beta testers were not happy with the smart tool.

You are correct.

Scott Witthaus

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:01 PM In reply to

• alan wells
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Aberdeen, Scotland
    • Posts 123
    • Points 2,025

Can someone enlighten me on operating systems, please.

Previously I used Windows XP but I have upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64-bit Pro. While I have both MC4 and MC5 disks, I don't think that I can go back to MC4 as that software will not operate properly on Windows 7 64bit Pro - or will it?

Intel 2.5ghz Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5N32-E, 8gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 256mb PCI-E, Seagate 500gb drive, Seagate 160gb drive, Seagate 500gb drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:17 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,322
    • Points 53,440

MC4 is not certified for Win7. Proceed at your own risk...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:19 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Alan - Some folks were able to run MC 4 on Windows 7 64-bit Pro but not without some issues around installation, etc. Don't recall the issues - maybe if you started a separate thread someone could chime-in (it's a bit like the old Liquid running under Vista story).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 21 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller