Latest post Sun, Jan 16 2011 8:58 PM by timoto. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 6:08 PM

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

SubCap - Improve Outline + Export

SubCap is great for me so far.

but

when it comes to a nice black outline, it is really rather quite whiffy.

For some reason the developers chose an outline that bleeds into the face colour of the subtitle when you go for a thicker line weight.

Go back to Title Tool (not marquee, because that introduces other bad aromas) and add a thick outline. Lovely nice thick line that does not hurt the face colour so much. Beautifully clear and bold subtitles.

Alas Title Tool is title tool and really doesn't do anything else particularly useful like SubCap does.

So my little feature request is:

Please add the outline method from Title Tool to SubCap.

For now I must do everything in SubCap, but then use Title Tool or other subtitle creation tool to add REAL subtitles.

Oh and I should add that export to a more widely used subtitle file format would be nice too. Dare I say it (.srt) because even though .srt is not great in itself we can convert it to other formats painlessly. I'm not certain but I think the current .txt output uses a charset that is not compatible with many subtitle formats, and so that is another copy paste job to be done too.

Media Composer 6.0.5, Windows 7 Pro x64, Dell M4400, C2D 2.54GHz, 8GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

globaltimoto

one man - around the world - in - a quest for gameplay

globaltimoto.com

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 1:12 AM In reply to

• EyeBee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 73
    • Points 850

Re: SubCap - Improve Outline + Export

timoto:

SubCap is great for me so far.

but

when it comes to a nice black outline, it is really rather quite whiffy.

For some reason the developers chose an outline that bleeds into the face colour of the subtitle when you go for a thicker line weight.

Go back to Title Tool (not marquee, because that introduces other bad aromas) and add a thick outline. Lovely nice thick line that does not hurt the face colour so much. Beautifully clear and bold subtitles.

Alas Title Tool is title tool and really doesn't do anything else particularly useful like SubCap does.

So my little feature request is:

Please add the outline method from Title Tool to SubCap.

For now I must do everything in SubCap, but then use Title Tool or other subtitle creation tool to add REAL subtitles.

Oh and I should add that export to a more widely used subtitle file format would be nice too. Dare I say it (.srt) because even though .srt is not great in itself we can convert it to other formats painlessly. I'm not certain but I think the current .txt output uses a charset that is not compatible with many subtitle formats, and so that is another copy paste job to be done too.

I regret that you are 'talking to the trees ...."

Avid has long since abandoned ALL development of the SubCap tool. I mean ALL - there has been ZERO revision of the software since it it was introduced.

The SubCap Tool was a great idea (I mean, seriously GOOD - just what some users were asking for) but it is SO FLAWED from both an operational point of view (TRY CENTERING YOUR SUBTITLES) and an aesthetic point of view (THEY ARE SERIOUSLY BAD LOOKING SUBTITLES - PARTICULARLY THE OUTLINE PROBLEM THAT YOU NOTE : TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE A MISTAKE).

I'm sorry, I have to warn you right now - you are wasting your time if you are waiting for a response to this issue.

Regards,

Ian

Avid Symphony Nitris v3.5.9 HPxw8200 Vista Business 64 6GB RAM NVidia Quadro FX3700 10TB VideoRaid RTR320X [view my complete system specs]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.   Homer (Simpson)

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 8:38 PM In reply to

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

That's a shame if what you say is true.

I didn't have any trouble centering my subtitles though.

Well, I put in my pennies worth and since there is no accountable feature voting system this and thousands of other requests will just float in about in Avid's bottomless pit.

Media Composer 6.0.5, Windows 7 Pro x64, Dell M4400, C2D 2.54GHz, 8GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

globaltimoto

globaltimoto.com

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 2:55 AM In reply to

• erik1185
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • USA
    • Posts 1,060
    • Points 13,060

EyeBee:
    Avid has long since abandoned ALL development of the SubCap tool. I mean ALL - there has been ZERO revision of the software since it it was introduced.

This is not true. New features were added in Media Composer 5.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 16 2011 10:41 AM In reply to

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

Good, that sounds more positive.

I'm still on MC 4.0, do you happen to know where a list of changes to SubCap in MC 5.0 can be found ?

Thank you

globaltimoto

globaltimoto.com

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 12:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,079
    • Points 216,495
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

timoto:

I'm still on MC 4.0, do you happen to know where a list of changes to SubCap in MC 5.0 can be found ?

Thank you

HERE YOU ARE Timoto!

You can see some reference on page 3.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 8:58 PM In reply to

• timoto
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 97
    • Points 1,195

Thanks Douglas

Looks like there might be an improvement, according to that doc:

SubCap Effect updates The SubCap effect has new parameters that 

let you:

Turn the display of the subtitle on or off.

Control the thickness of text characters 

and their outlines more precisely.

Control the horizontal location of the 

anchor with respect to the background 

box.

globaltimoto

globaltimoto.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller