Latest post Wed, Dec 8 2010 5:02 AM by Rock Island Media. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 7 2010 9:44 PM

Official SmartTools disabling tips?

I understand that I can't go back to pre-5.0 editing functionality at this point (insert five-month heavy sigh here). So, I am always looking for ways to disable SmartTools. I have given it more than a fair chance, but simply can't stand it, nor can most of the other editors I know.

What settings and/or configuration are officially recommended to disable SmartTools to the greatest degree, bringing it closest to previous version in terms of editing functionality?

I've done several settings changes, but I am just checking to see if perhaps I have missed something.

Thanks!

Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 7 2010 9:53 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,122
    • Points 12,755

Re: Official SmartTools disabling tips?

I did the setting that was 'disable when TC ruler clicked' and have it default to nothing selected. 

This way I use the red/yellow segment arrows as before and click in the TC ruler to turn them off (as I've always done - I have a large TC ruler for this purpose). I did give ST a try, I quite like it in ProTools which I'm not very proficient in, but couldn't get it to be more useful than my old keyboard centred workings.

I do have to use a new kb shortcut to enable editing of audio keyframes, which is both annoying and a nice feature depending on the weather. Otherwise I'm pretty much back to pre v5 working.

v3 today though - got to hate those dissolves falling off segments as you move them!

• Tue, Dec 7 2010 11:15 PM In reply to

• jaysonL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 345

Hi Trevor,

Where did you find the "disable when TC ruler clicked" setting?

Thanks,

Jayson

MC Meridian MC Adrenaline MC Nitris and Xpress Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 7 2010 11:26 PM In reply to

Timeline Settings>Edit Tab, just under the Dupe Detection Handles pulldown

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Dec 7 2010 11:28 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

I'm not a huge fan of the ST either, but I do find it has its uses from time to time. For this reason I mapped the Disable/Enable Smart Tool command to my Tab key on the keyboard. Once click and it's off, another click and it's back on. I find this to be the most efficient way to use the ST.

Z

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 1:38 AM In reply to

I also do not use the smart tool. I have "TC ruler disable" on in timeline settings, and from the smart tool section of the command palette, I have mapped segment overwrite, segment splice-in and audio keyframe to the keyboard. Never have to touch the smart tool, except when the damn thing decides to randomly re-enable itself. The timeline behaves in the classic pre-5.0 manner.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 8 2010 5:02 AM In reply to

Thanks all for sharing your personal tips. Sounds like we're all dealing with this in pretty similar manners. Larry, I like your idea of just mapping the functions to the keyboard, since I am very keyboard-driven in my workflow.

And yes, it also drives me crazy when SmartTool randomly re-enables itself! What's up with that?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller