Latest post Thu, Apr 12 2012 6:05 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:15 AM

Digital Asset Management Tool

Hello,

This is our illusive quest for the right solution to handle our growing tape and file-based assets. We are looking for an efficient solution for ingesting/organizing/searching.

-------

We use: AvidMC/XP, FCP, Photoshop, ProTools, Audition, Sony HDV cameras, MacPC, WindowsPC

Dailies: HDV/DVtapes, mt2, mpeg4, mov, avi, wav, mp3, aiff, jpeg, bmp, psd, doc, pdf...etc

Current solution: tape logging using spread sheet (excel), file browser/organizer (OS level)

------

What would you recommend? What do you use?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Digital Asset Management Tool

You should check into Interplay for advanced media database management in a shared server (Unity) environment.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:38 PM In reply to

I am going to move this thread to the Interplay Forum, so other experienced users can chime in to help you further.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:25 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,095
    • Points 12,520

I think you, along with many others, may be searching for the holy grail there ;-)

Take a look at Interplay, EVS IPDirector & CatDV (http://www.squarebox.co.uk/). CatDV have a forum on creative cow that can be informative.

I'm not sure how Final Cut Server is moving along but that may be worth a look.

Avid took over Blue Order, so they should have some interesting products on the horizon.

I'd advise that you plan your workflow on a solution that can *migrate* to a different solution if you need. Certainly they all don't allow for much migration at the moment.

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for sorting this out.

Yeah, definitely, Avid's is the holy grail. But unfortunatley, we are in the other half of the universe. We are a training and non-profit media facility serving the Asiapacific region.

I guess i should be asking: What's the second...or maybe even the 3rd best (and affordable) solution?

Thanks!

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:47 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    What's the second...or maybe even the 3rd best (and affordable) solution?

Look into EditShare. Of course, everything depends on how you define affordable. And how you amortize your investment with estimated income over time.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 5:16 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,095
    • Points 12,520

I meant that the Holy Grail in that it's difficult to find, not that Avid is necessarily the solution. 

Take a look at CatDV - affordable and trial available. I haven't used it in anger myself.

• Fri, Nov 12 2010 5:41 AM In reply to

This is very helpful.

We'd love to hear your stories on using any of these products....success, challenges.

Thanks.

--

• Thu, Apr 12 2012 6:05 AM In reply to

Hey, it's been two years. We're now using a regular network storage. the search for the right/affordable solution is still on.

here's my update/follow up: Digital Asset Management: Storage Size

--

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller