Latest post Thu, Nov 11 2010 4:34 AM by chadg. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:38 PM

• Bernhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 17 2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 70
    • Points 810

Keyboard Control

1. When playing a clip in the source window, after the end has been reached, I cannot go 1 frame back with the cursor keys. Instead I have to press "Home", then "End", then I can skip frames forward and back. Or I have to press just "End" (though I am already there at the end).

There is no un-focusing of the window, etc. Everything is selected & fine. Do other users experience the same behaviour?

2. When marking IN/OUT in a clip and generating a subclip via keyboard shortcut, how can I edit the name of this subclip?

Or how can I edit the name of any selected subclip, without having to use the mouse?

3. In the project window, I can move the highlight bar up and down, but I cannot expand folders, I cannot expand bins, I cannot rename elements, I cannot collapse folders in my tree structure of folders & bins.

Ok, so I have to use the mouse, right? But I cannot scroll up/down with the mouse, except using the non system scrollbar on the side. Is there a reason for that?

Sorry for asking such basic questions, but I assume there is a way of doing these basic things in MC5 - maybe I just don't know it yet. Any help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Bernhard

iMac 27", 2.93 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.5, Avid MC 5.0.3.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 8 2010 3:47 PM In reply to

Re: Keyboard Control

Bernard,

I am seeing the same behaviors you describe.  You are looking at the middle of a UI redesign that has been, frankly, not well thought out for long-time Avid users.  It has been an attempt to get the bins to act more like the OS, as stupid as that may be.

As for #1, I am seeing this as well, although any movement by the mouse or keyboard will get you to the true end of the clip.  Even hitting RETURN here will park you on the last frame and you can then backup one frame.

#2 is part of the UI redesign.  All I can say is that once you start renaming fields, you can hit RETURN and it will drop to the next one down and you can immediately edit the field.  Only helpful if you're changing a bunch of fields at once, not when you want to rename a single subclip.

#3 has always been that way, AFAIK.  The scroll wheel works for bins, but not for the project window.  And there aren't any keyboard shortcuts associated with that window, other than to navigate within it.  Dumb, I know.

I guess the short answer is...if you want to use MC v5, get used to using a mouse. :)

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 4:51 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    if you want to use MC v5, get used to using a mouse.

That's the way they wanted it right?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 5:10 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    they
    Who is they? Confused Do "THEY" depend on editing with Avids to put bread on their table.Hmm

• Mon, Nov 8 2010 5:12 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Who is they? Confused Do "THEY" depend on editing with Avids put bread on their table.Hmm

Maybe not, but they should depend on SELLING Avids to put bread on their table.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 9 2010 12:41 PM In reply to

• Bernhard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 17 2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 70
    • Points 810

Hi Kevin,

thank you very much for you answers. As you've mentioned, the behaviour of the GUI is not always intuitive. ;)

The "rename a bunch of clips functionality" is IMHO very convenient. If you start to edit the name of a certain clip, chances are, that you might want to do the same with other clips. But there should be at least some kind of "escape" key. Like, for instance, "Esc". ;)

The Project Window needs keyboard control. In Windows and Mac OS, you can navigate in file explorer windows by cursor keys - the same should be available in Avid's project window: up, down, ok this is already done, left/right should be collapse/expand, "enter" could mean "select" (or "open in Superbin"), "space" could mean "mark", "ctrl+enter" could be a doubleclick, etc.

And it would be nice to set clip colours via keyboard shortcuts. But this is just one of many items on my wishlist to Avid. Christmas wishlist? Maybe 5.0.3.6? ;)

All the best,

Bernhard

PS: And by the way, I love my mouse! But I love using keyboard shortcuts even more...

iMac 27", 2.93 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.5, Avid MC 5.0.3.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:15 AM In reply to

• chadg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 12 2009
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Here here. I've been cutting TV and film on avid for going on 10 years now, and am just now doing my first show for mtv on MC5. Holy crap what have they done to my beloved editing instrument?! Had to jump on here to see if anyone is as confused as I am. I'm fine with ADDING features to newer versions of the software (in most cases. they've really made a mess of the mute/solo clutter in the timeline IMO. and that multi-tool? yikes). But please, don't TAKE AWAY stuff that we've been using for years! The example above about not being able to name clips after subclipping without using the mouse is but one of several that I've found so far.

My main argument to all those out there that would have us switch to final cut has always been the simpliticy and intuitiveness of the avid interface. Avid simply got it right with the basic nuts and bolts of editing, with things like track-specific operations, assymetrical trimming, etc. But my argument about simplicity is being eroded in the name of 'improvements' that are clutting the basic, beautiful interface.

To anyone at avid that might read this, please, don't alienate guys like me who are your biggest advocates by making changes to the basic functionality that we have come to know, love and trust for our livelihoods. If you want to make these features available to new users of the program, fine. But give the rest of us the option of using the software the way we always have. I almost never use the mouse while cutting. It helps me be as fast as I can, which in TV can be vitally important. Why make me start using a mouse now? Why am I hunting on avid forums for ways to replicate functions I've used all the way from ABVB systems to MC4, instead of just cutting the show I'm supposed to be working on?

Sorry for the rant, but for the first time I am actually afraid that avid has lost confidence in the superiority of their product, and will force all of us to continually adapt our work methods in the name of "improvement." I really hope I'm wrong.

Freelance, system specs vary. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:29 AM In reply to

My friend, you are preaching to the choir, and you have a wealth of back story to catch up on from just a handful of threads. Give me a little time to track them down and I'll post links.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:40 AM In reply to

OK, these will definitely get you started, in order of appearance:

Control Key Changes: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/85356.aspx

5 is a big disappointment: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/87274.aspx

Disabling smart tool: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/89655/509119.aspx#509119

More on the smart tool:  http://community.avid.com/forums/p/90520/514764.aspx#514764

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 11 2010 4:34 AM In reply to

• chadg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 12 2009
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Larry Rubin:

OK, these will definitely get you started, in order of appearance:

Control Key Changes: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/85356.aspx

5 is a big disappointment: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/87274.aspx

Disabling smart tool: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/89655/509119.aspx#509119

More on the smart tool:  http://community.avid.com/forums/p/90520/514764.aspx#514764

Thanks for the links Larry, I will definitely read them all. I realize I kind of jumped in and ran my mouth without getting the back story, but my first day in front of MC5 pushed me straight past 'time to research' and directly into 'time to panic.' Looking forward to read what the community has to say about all this. I'm certain I'm not the only one who has been similarly traumatized. :)

Freelance, system specs vary. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller