Latest post Sat, Nov 20 2010 9:39 PM by Larry Rubin. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 3:54 PM

They told me it doesn´t work with my AMD + Geforce GTX 260, but it did before...

Please, I need some help. After reinstalling the Avid-system and my hardware with a brand new PCI Express Motherboard I´m really on the edge throwing this out of my window ;) : For three weeks I try to run the present MC 5.0. with all kind of those not working patches in combination with the certain flamethrower upgrades on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit  system  with my Mojo-SDI/DNA. After changing this "always-to-change-1394-windows-driver"-problem to "OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt) i.e. the legacy" the system still need two sometimes three restarts to run properly at all, which did not happen at all on my former MC 3.0.2.1. version, but it doesn´t run with the DNA at all, it only works in 1394 mode.  I´m so angry with this..can somebody tell me what to do? I`m burnin. I talked to the Avid Support it seems they don`t know also!!!

WIN 7 PRO 64bit - NVIDIA PNY QUAD 580 - Gigabyte/INTEL QUAD/USB3 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio- MOJO SDI/DNA [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:35 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: They told me it doesn´t work with my AMD + Geforce GTX 260, but it did before...

They told me it doesn´t work with my AMD + Geforce GTX 260

and they are correct of course, if it did work with an older version of Media Composer, roll back to that one.

To be able to use the latest software, you need to upgrade your hardware

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: They told me it doesn´t work with my AMD + Geforce GTX 260, but it did before...

I did upgrade the hardware, when you see my specs. The Geforce GTX 260 is nearly as old as the new MC 5 and my MB is brand new, so what are you talking about?

WIN 7 PRO 64bit - NVIDIA PNY QUAD 580 - Gigabyte/INTEL QUAD/USB3 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio- MOJO SDI/DNA [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:00 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Blendwerk.tv:

my MB is brand new, so what are you talking about?

You might forget that I tried to help you

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:01 PM In reply to

• Paris MkVI
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Norfolk, VA USA
    • Posts 415
    • Points 5,010

Friend, Avid systems are very particular about hardware.

Yes, you upgraded. But did you look at Avid recommended specs before doing so? Replacing unapproved hardware with other newer unapproved hardware will not get you to your destination of a smooth-running edit machine.

MCA 2.8.3 on Dell 490 • 4GB Ram • Quadro FX3500 Driver 6.14.10.9185 • Avid rs146 x 2 striped as one • 2 internal 500 GB SATA drives. Edit monitor: Sony... [view my complete system specs]

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1 NIV)

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:25 PM In reply to

Sorry guys, but it (my system) used to be a perfect running system until MC 5.0 I did things like using all kind of different parts in the past with success while using Mojo in the DNA workflow and what you consider a smooth running system is sometimes a pain in the..... you know that, even if you think you know what you´re doing in work. So please send me  solutions for the "flamethrower topic", because thats what I´m thinking about, otherwise please don´t bother me with critics on my past workflow or posting style. But thanks for replying anyway it keeps up the good spirit. Geeked

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:34 PM In reply to

If you check the system requirements, you will see that GeForce Cards are only supported on the Mac side. You will need a quadro card to be supported on the PC side. When you go "off profile" regarding hardware, you have a 50/50 chance that it will work.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:43 PM In reply to

• lunalobo75
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 278
    • Points 3,250

I think what everyone is saying is that MCA 5.0 code is written differently from past versions (which did work with AMD). And using what is recommending, or looking a forum user profiles to see what they are using, can reduce headaches.

For a while I was able to use my Matrox parhelia graphic cards  until MC 2.7 - yeah they (MAtrox) worked before, but 2.7 was wriiten differently and no longer recognize my Matrox card 9or matrox stop writing workable drivers)- just how it goes, you now.

I know that might not be helpful, but look at it like a car: manufacturers try to keep car parts the same for consecutive years, but then a latests model comes out where they are using a different water pump design or catylic converter...your water pump from a previous model isn't gonna fit or work in the newer model, no matter how hard you try. The mechanincs are the same, but the design dictates its functionality.

I'm working on a few hours of sleep, soI hope that makes sense. If someone does have a workaround for you - then awesome!!

Salud!

HP Z800 MC 8.3, Adobe CC, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, 2 Hex Core X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 48Gigs Ram, NVidia Quadro K4000, Sandisk Extreme 240 gig SSD System... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:44 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply and your help for support, but what does "off profile" mean? I start the Avid MC 5.0 three times before I can get into the editing suite, then it opens up and I can (I´m now in the middle of the program I´m working on) "edit" in 1394 modus. In a former version MC 3.1.3.2 with the same hardware config  it also used to work perfect in DNA Modus under Win XP 32bit, which is three months ago, before I switched to Win 7 Pro 64bit. So this older version stopped working properly.

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:48 PM In reply to

Big Smile I really like that answer, but I hate cars and I don´t think that it makes sense for a successful tool like Avid to "exclude" better working parts. have a good sleep my friend, tomorrow we´ll be happy. good nite..

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:50 PM In reply to

• lunalobo75
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 278
    • Points 3,250

Also, I see you are using WIN XP 64 bit? Man, I had nothing but issues with that OS, and...someone on the forum is gonna tell you that it was never supported. OFF profile? Don't know, I hope someone can chime in...

HP Z800 MC 8.3, Adobe CC, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, 2 Hex Core X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 48Gigs Ram, NVidia Quadro K4000, Sandisk Extreme 240 gig SSD System... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:51 PM In reply to

• lunalobo75
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 278
    • Points 3,250

Thanks, man. Salud!

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:52 PM In reply to

No, no you got this wrong. I used an Win XP based on 32bit, now I´m using Win 7 Pro 64bit.

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 7:04 PM In reply to

By "off profile", I mean choosing hardware other than what's listed in the system requirements. And the others are right about differences in configuration and architecture between older versions of MC and MC 5, which could explain why you were able to successfully run 3.0.2, but now cannot run MC 5.

So here's the deal. If you go off profile, as I said, you have a 50/50 chance that the software will run correctly. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't. And even if the system does run successfully initially, there's no guarantee for long term stability. You could develop a serious problem down the road which Avid may or may not be able to provide a solution for, since you elected to go with a system that is not supported by Avid. That's why Avid lists hardware requirements, because they've tested these configurations and can guarantee that the software will run correctly on a supported system. They can make no such guarantees for a non-supported system. For example, AMD processors and ATI Radeon cards are not supported for MC 5 because Avid has not been able to get consistent, reliable and stable performance from those configurations. One exception exists for an ATI Radeon card on the Mac side of the house, but not PC.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Oct 12 2010 7:28 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin, thank you, I did understand already before starting all this. Thats why I´m still thinking about the Mojo SDI DNA because I receive an error message from that little fellow in the end when I try to go into DNA mode. The picture plays, but no sound. I guess now that all my "errors and tries" won´t succeed until I change my hardware again. I feel pretty unsatisfied with this solution especially when my upgrade from 32bit to 64bit finally seems to be the reason for all that. I can only repeat myself: This system was awesome until MC 5.0 on 64bit with MOJO SDI, now its only working in 1394 mode, which seems still a mystery to me after what you wrote, because its not 50/50 its simply working. This is runnin stable as long as I don´t "use" the MOJO DNA and I´m sure, thats the problem in the end: The firmware upgrade of MOJO SDI DNA for MC 5 if its AMD and GTX 260 or INTEL and QUADRO. So now I go on on finishing the stuff for today in 1394. If I can afford after I already paid a lot incl. Software Upgrade Avid MC 5.0 I will think about recommended parts that support changed "codes"...., like cars, I liked that conclusion. It makes me thinking about bigger problems in the world except "editing hardware". Idea its evening in Berlin and I used the whole day again for finding solutions, like the "X-Files"...

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller