Latest post Sat, Jul 2 2011 4:33 PM by Jeanaro. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 3:51 PM

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 28 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

help!!! Offline editing + online editing

Hi guys, I am relatively new to avid and offline editing features.

Could some one explain how to make an offline editing on a pc and then do the online editing and all the finishing touches on a mac step-by-step.

The reason I need this is that all the rough cuts will be made outside the UK. The footage copy will be uploaded to the office and the originals will stay in the UK. I am working on 5D mk2 footage if that helps.

Please could someone post a tutorial, this would be very helpful.

PS. Both machines will be running avid 5.0

Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:14 PM In reply to

Re: help!!! Offline editing + online editing

sydak:
    Could some one explain how to make an offline editing on a pc and then do the online editing and all the finishing touches on a mac step-by-step.

That's asking a lot isn't it? (Can someone explain how to rebuild a transmission in a '64 Mustang step-by-step?)

There are a lot of steps and a lot of factors involved, too many to give in a venue such as this.  We have no idea of your level of experience/comfort with the Avid Offline->Online workflow (other than your admission to being "new to Avid" and offline editing features)

I guess the only place to start is to ask, at what point in the process are you?  Has the footage been imported?  If so, to what codec?  

Honestly, you may be better off employing the help of someone experienced with the Avid Offline-Online process to be on-hand to guide you along the way.  There are just too many factors involved to write it all out step-by-step.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:53 PM In reply to

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Still, thank you for your response, now I know that I should start asking more specific questions in one or other field. 

Basically I have never did an offline editing in my life. I mean that all the footage I was working with was full quality.

So the 5D footage is linked as ama and then transcoded to DNxHD 120 MXF. 

Does anyone used accessing to the project over internet?

Maybe someone knows a video tutorial, or a guide book where these kind of processes would be explained?

Thank you for your help.

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:06 PM In reply to

sydak:
    the 5D footage is linked as ama and then transcoded to DNxHD 120 MXF.

You could transcode to another hard drive at a lower res (ie, SD or DNx36 if you're in 23.976 project) and use that drive as the "offline" media.  Then when you finish the cut, you should be able to disconnect the low-res media drive and connect the high-res media drive and relink the Sequence. 

I'd perform a couple of tests first though.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:12 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,035
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Here's a really short version of how this will work:

Original 5D media in loaded into Avid via AMA.

AMA clips are converted to DNxHD 120.

If practical, DNxHD 120 clips are transcoded to DNxHD 36 or SD for offline.

Once the offline is finished, the Avid project or just the bin containing the final sequence is sent back to the location of the DNXx 120 media.  These files are small and can be sent via e-mail.  The sequence is relinked to the online media and finished.  There is no need for the offline media to be sent back for online.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:48 PM In reply to

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

That is the method I was thinking about. I have some small knowledge issues.

Please confirm is the statement is true or write your suggestion.

1. To get 35:1 MXF I need to select in the "format" windows 25pal instead of 1080p;

2. When I finish the edit I have to reselect 1080p;

How to reconnect the media? This is where I am stuck, since I never used it, and tried to do it following logical sense. 

Again with the media. The thing is that I will transcode the 5D 1080p footage into 35:1 or even smaller if it is possible. Upload the footage. And at the end when it will be finished I just want to get the project file and reconnect the full quality videos from my hard drive. 

Is this possible?

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:09 PM In reply to

35:1? 

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 2:14 AM In reply to

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Well you have mentioned SD so the smalest clips when I select 25p that is SD in the format tab and then go to transcode  and I can choose 35:1 MXF. Cause I have seen some video tutorials how you can transcode your P2 footage into SD finish the edit and go back to Full HD.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 4:49 AM In reply to

Yes, but 35:1 is pretty heinous, in my opinion.  You'd be better off staying in HD and using DNx36 (if that res is available to you)

Or, if you're going to use SD, I'd go with something a little less compressed.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 9:11 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,035

You go to the Format tab and change it back to HD.  Then relink the sequence to HD resolution files.  It's that simple (when it works).

I'd suggest doing a test on a small amount of material to get comfortable with this workflow.  And 35:1 is going to look like Skype video chatting when using a dial up modem (or something equally heinous).  Do youself a favor and do at least 14:1 so you can see what you're cutting.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 11:45 AM In reply to

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Thank you guys for your answers. So there is one more question to go. :D

As I mentioned before I have tried to relink the clips using the logical sense, since I do not know the correct way.

So if someone would be generous enough to tell what should I look for ie. select timeline, go to clip and select consolidate etc.

Thanks again:)

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 1:54 PM In reply to

In simplest terms:

1. Capture/Import source clip to drive A in HD at your Online full res. 
    2. Capture/Import source clip to drive B in either HD @ DNx36 or SD (14:1?)
    3. take drive A offline so the computer can't see it.
    4. do your cut with the drive B footage.
    5. Once cut is locked and ready to up-res, take drive B offline and bring drive A online. 
    6. Select the sequence and choose Relink, (choosing drive A).  

Of course, there are a million variables at each stage that you could do differently, but ultimately the same goal is reached in the end.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 2:19 PM In reply to

• sydak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 100

Appreciate your help. But do the files on different hard drives has to be in the same pattern like folders in folders, or they can be on one drive in folder and on the other drive without a folder? since I am not at the machine right know. Can I just relink the time line with ama files or it is neccesery to import them as mxf?

Thanks once again.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 3:06 PM In reply to

If import them and let Avid create the mxf media, then you won't have to worry about folder structure.  Avid does it for you. 

With a project such as this, I wouldn't use AMA as a long-term strategy.

If you'd like to use AMA in some manner, you could make selections of takes etc and then Consolidate those clips to your drive A.  Then Transcode those to a lower res and put them onto drive B.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 6:34 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,035

If your media is on one drive you can relink based on resolution (it's on the bottom part of the relink window), but putting online media on one drive and offline on another makes it much easier to know which files to ship for off site editing.  The key is to use AMA as if it was Log and Transfer in FCP, simply a easy way to see what you've got so you can convert it into Avid Media by transcoding the clips you select.  Once it's Avid Media you can transcode again and relink back to the higher resolution media easily.  All Avid Media is stored in that folder on the root level of a drive called, unsurprisingly, AvidMedia Files.  Since the Avid software takes responsibility of what's inside that folder, you don't have to nor should you.  AMA is a bit more flexible in terms of where media can reside but it's not as reliable as using Avid Media IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller