Latest post Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:56 AM by Surrey_Film. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:56 AM

• Surrey_Film
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 28 2006
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Points 160

MC5 mixing 23.98 and 24p in a 24p project

I'm cutting a documentary that has been shot on a bewildering variety of HD formats over three years.  The first material I received was on RED and Phantom 2k and 4k. This was shot at 24 with 48khz audio, and existed as ProRes files having come from an FCP project. I set up my project at 24p, using AMA to link to everything without any problems.

However, added to the project I now have P2 using the AVC Intra codec, shot at 23.98 and Canon 5D material on h264 at 23.98.  Using AMA, I linked to the P2 material apparently without any issues, but I have since found that clips in the bins (which I have split up into different days rushes) are becoming offline and the machine has slowed to a crawl.  Also, taking my cue from some of the forums, I have transcoded the 5D material from 23.98 h264 to DNXHD115 at 24, which has introduced some interpolation although the durations appear to be the same.

My questions are these: 

1. Can I edit using AMA as I have so far, or will I need to transcode everything?

2. Should I transcode at the native speeds and allow the machine to adjust the speed in the timeline?

3. If I transcode the 23.98 material to 24, will I be able to link back to the original media?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

David

I'm running MC5.0.0 on a MacPro dual 3Ghz Xeon with OS10.6.3 and 4GB of RAM

MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 10GB RAM OS 10.6.8 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller