Latest post Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:14 PM by stwb. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:51 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Machine "Stamp of Approval" Please

To specify computer for "enthusiast" level SD camcorder  (Sony VX2000) editing work with MC5 and production suite I have read from this forum; Avid hardware recommendations; Videoguys and comments from "pen pals" to come up with following price/performance machine.  I have tried to balance system to avoid bottlenecks in processing. This machine closely follows many others I have read about but in my case this is all "book learning" so would appreciate comments. 

I am ready to order build (so I can download MC5 and load production suite that came with MC4 package) but my biggest concern is that I have forgotten or wrongly specced some key component.  I will have local company build machine--I have specced motherboard, CPU, GPU, LAN, OS but left other brand selections up to them.

Motherboard:  Asus P6X58D Premium  

CPU:  Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz

GPU:  PNY FX1800 (agonized between FX3800 and FX1800)

RAM: 12 GB (6X 2 GB sticks); Super Talent DDR3 1333 MHz : I originally specced 6 GB but after reading recent posts—"MC can only use 4 GB but other software needs some “headroom”-  went to 12 GB (choice was 6 or 12 or 24 GB)

System Drives:  Two Seagate Barracuda 500GB RAID 1 (RAID 1 to reduce chance of wiping out software in case of  HDD crash)

Media Drives: Two Seagate Barracuda 500GB  RAID 0---my projects are small so don't think I will need 1 TB?

Additional 1394b card (motherboard only had 1394a on board)

Additional Sound Card vs onboard audio: several posts have suggested adding soundcard for voice over; currently have just specced basic Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 stocked by local computer builder—any recommendations?

Additional  LAN card: Avid recommended Intel Gigabit PRO instead of Broadcom or other generic onboard LAN—maybe not necessary to pay more for Intel LAN card?

Antec 750 watt power supply

Antec Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gamer Case (provides room and cooling space, several low speed fans)

WIN 7 Professional 64 bit

Basic LG GH22NS40 22X SATA DVD-RW drive (no need now for Blue Ray read/write—wait until I migrate to HD camcorder)

In a year or so I will migrate to HD camcorder so may need to upgrade this system at that time, but to get started I hope the above machine  is a good price/performance choice.

Thank you,  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 6:48 PM In reply to

• stwb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 27 2010
    • USA
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,030

Re: Machine "Stamp of Approval" Please

Hey I'm new here myself, but since no one else has replied to your post I'll give you my thoughts.

Your proposed system is similar to mine in some ways. Since you're only doing SD right now (I used to have a VX2000 myself...great for SD work.) your new machine is way more than enough for it. It should set you up nicely for your planned HD future needs though.

I went with triple channel RAM and I see you're planning on using dual channel. I'm not sure if there's a big noticeable performance difference with triple channel but the Core i7 9XX series with the X58 chip is designed to take advantage of it. Something to consider.

I think Avid recommends using an Intel Gigabit Pro Lan for use in a collaborative environment when working on high-end projects and having a need to share video assets, but I'm not sure exactly. I seem to recall reading about that somewhere in the system requirements or the forum. So if you're a one man operation I don't think you'll need it.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit is definately the right choice for MC5, per Avid's specs.

Be sure to use the specified driver for your FX1800 (the 190.38) and Quick Time 7.6.6. and you'll be ok.

And if you already have your MC4 boxed set (from the Liquid 7 upgrade offer I'm assuming?) you'll need to do the free MC5 upgrade download before the offer expires June 30. You can do it today if you have enough room on a drive (it's 1.3GB) and if you've already registered your MC4. My experience with both the MC4 registration and the MC5 d/l was "no problem". Just see Marianna's "From Marianna - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT" post for the link to get the free d/l.

Good luck with the new system, sounds like it'll be great.

-Steve

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 8:28 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Steve, Thankyou for helpful comments. I have read a lot about MC hardware requirements but I only have "book learning" and lack experience and real knowledge about how MC5 uses RAM, GPU and CPU so I appreciate advice from forum and "pen pals." 

I will ask machine builder about RAM he told me he will use--from my book learning triple channel is definitely the way to go as you say--following is quote from VideoGuys website that I read that mentions performance benefits of triple channel:

"Dual channel RAM allows the CPU to more efficiently split the load between two matched pairs of RAM. Triple channel RAM takes this concept a step further, splitting the workload between 3 sticks of RAM. This increases the speed by which the CPU can address memory, and will result in much faster rendering and encoding for your workstation.. 

Tech Note: With triple channel memory it is crucial that you use 3 identical sticks of RAM at a time. Using pairs of memory will cause a performance hit. If you motherboard has 4 RAM slots, adding the 4th stick of RAM will also cause a performance hit. With i7 processors you want to go with 3/6/12/24 GB of RAM. "

Your insight on the Intel Gigabit Pro will save me $55 for extra card--as a one man show I will just use MOBO onboard LAN.

I had read about the FX1800 driver and QT version and also Larry's comment about staying away from IE8 because of issues several people have reported.

I have registered but not installed MC4 boxed set and received the MC5 e-mail.  Will download MC5 software when I get new machine. Did you install MC5 first and then production suite from the MC4 boxed set?  I have seen a couple of posts about MC4 not "finding" production suite. Seems by and large the boxed set production suite will work with WIN 7 64 bit even though not designed for WIN7 64 bit. Good to hear your d/l for MC5 went fine--and thank goodness again for Marianna and her rapid and proactive posts including latest ones on MC5 downloading and registration and so forth.

Thanks again,  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 13 2010 9:19 PM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

Hi Dennis,

I am using Win7 32-bit (I know it is unsupported, but this information may still apply) and in reference to the production suite software from MC4, there are two things I noticed:  Avid FX does not work correctly as a stand-alone unless you run it in compatability mode for XP SP3 (the filters won't apply otherwise).  Also, As you noted, you were going to use the recommended QT version 7.6.6.  I couldn't get the Quicktime presets to work in Squeeze 5.1 (the version included with MC4's suite).  According the the forums over at Sorenson, Squeeze 5.1 is not compatible with Quicktime 7.6.4, and I assume that includes the newer versions as well.  Once I uninstalled 7.6.6 and installed 7.6 (they recommend 7.6.2 but I couldn't find it), my problems were fixed.

See these posts at Sorenson's forums to see what you think:

Squeeze Not Supported on Windows 64-bit OS:
    http://forum.sorensonmedia.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1903

Missing Presets due to New Quicktime:
    http://forum.sorensonmedia.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1919

Quicktime 7.6.4 not supported:
    http://forum.sorensonmedia.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1980

I would be curious to see what you find out when you install your software on Win7 64.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Sun, Jun 13 2010 10:53 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Thanks for production suite experience comments Jonathan.  Experience base of forum members very helpful to those of us who so far just have "book learning" to lean on. I will let you know what I find and I may just start with QT 7.6.2. I have to warn you that I expect I will be going through a period where I won't know if I am doing something wrong or if there is an actual glitch in the system.

Do other forum members have experience with Jonathan's comments as a quicker feedback for Jonathan?

By the way, I have found the Sorenson tech support people very responsive, friendly and helpful via e-mail even to novices like myself.

Regards, Dennis

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:04 PM In reply to

• stwb
    • Not Ranked
    • USA
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,030

denniscasey:
    and also Larry's comment about staying away from IE8 because of issues several people have reported

So far I haven't had any problems with IE8 and MC5 on the same machine. But then again I haven't been using MC extensively yet either. Fingers crossed.

denniscasey:
    Did you install MC5 first and then production suite from the MC4 boxed set?  I have seen a couple of posts about MC4 not "finding" production suite.

Again, no problems for me in this regard. The entire MC4 production suite seems to work just fine from within MC5 (except SonicFire Pro 5 which I already owned and it runs only as a stand-alone app; at least I haven't found that it works as a plug-in to MC5).

Yes, if your builder is going to use triple channel RAM then that's the best way to go I think for an i7 9XX system. I know my mobo for example can use either dual or triple, but I figured go with the higher performance choice. However, 12 gigs may be a bit much at this time since MC is a 32-bit app and only recognizes 4GB of RAM no matter how much you have installed. Of course you might want 12GB in order to run other apps at the same time but you have to be careful about that since they say MC may crash. This could be another way to save some $$ now, start with 6GB and then add more RAM later when MC goes to 64-bit.

-Steve

• Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• stwb
    • Not Ranked
    • USA
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,030

MondoNo5:
    According the the forums over at Sorenson, Squeeze 5.1 is not compatible with Quicktime 7.6.4, and I assume that includes the newer versions as well.

As Ed McMahon used to say, "You are CORRECT, sir!" I tried "sending" part of a clip to Sorenson using the QT Movie option and all I got was an error message that it couldn't do it and then Sorenson would open with nothing in it. So I uninstalled 7.6.6 installed 7.6.2. Now I can send a QT Movie file to Sorenson. There's a pinned post at the top of this forum with links to all the various QT versions.

BTW, sending an AVI file to Sorenson with QT 7.6.6 installed was not a problem, I guess because QT doesn't come into play when it's an AVI file being created.

-Steve

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller