Latest post Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:53 PM by TVJohn. 58 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:06 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Re: Pinnacle Crisis

Thanks Douglas - but while i was writing that, I see others came in with some really good suggestions and advice (dare I say, 'much better' advice!).

From the recent posts, which I hadn't seen, it looks like Zena has already tried most of my suggestions.  It really does look like a corrupted file problem - I'd hate to point a finger at the cause of that!  But Studio is notoriously flaky I'm afraid - fine when doing simple things, on a very stable system with internal drives.  But can easily get in a twist at unexpected and undesirable moments.  It is excellent for what it does, as long as it isn't 'pushed' or stretched.  When I did use it - many many years ago, I quickly got into the habit of making a movie in 5 - 10 minute segments, creating an AVI file of each segment, and for the grand finale, bringing back all those AVI files to the timeline: that way, an hour long film went together smoothly.  Studio rather encourages long movies to be made in one 'swoop' I'm afraid (no sequences or assembly structures), and therein lies all kinds of problem I think. 

Hopefully, the answer won't be too long in coming.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:32 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 5 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

HD Tune?  I thought about it and this solves the inconsistency problem but it doesn't explain why both saves are malfunctioning differently while holding all manner of all other material perfectly. 

I will check this but it doesn't always drop immediately.  For instance, I took the time to look at all my stuff and a very important project is now gone.  I save as when I open and I went back in to repair and effect and I do project save.  I did project save at least 12x for 6 effects.  Today when I opened the file, the timeline was empty. 

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:36 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Yeah, Mike check out my next reply.  It still doesn't explain 'read' files that can't be opened.  I've noticed that I have several problems once I close my edit.  It isn't there on the timeline even though it was opened a few times and edited.  It can't be opened 2 seconds later.  It's a read file.  Trouble is I'm consistent.  I'm wondering why so many different outcomes with my consistent saving.  Of course, there are some files that are just fine.  I did 4 minutes of text effects with no problem and it's still there on the smaller external drive...

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:39 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

I think there may be something to what Mike said about the external drive formatted to FAT32.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

BLKDOG - my gut is for the README problem that this is it!!!!  Too tired now but I'm on this tomorrow.  This I believe will work because it has all the elements.  There should be another file.  You're right.  The so-called grey files are the read me caricatures of a film reel.  This is it for that issue but I'll confirm once I run the test.

However, did you see my post on the piece with 6 effects I saved at least 12x - 2 times for each effect just tweaking and today I open it and the timeline is empty?  I'm just saying... 

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:49 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Douglas,

Japan!  How lucky are you?  Don't you just love the commercials?  Couldn't understand what they were saying but they were funny as hell!

OK thanks for checking in.  Will keep the guru info on file.  May need it some day!

Ko-nee-chee- wah [phonetically  lol]

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 12:04 AM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Thanks Mike, I'm going to have to break down your post and try all the things things I can.  fyi - You can choose your render drive in Pinnacle which I did.  I do not use USB - all fire wire - but BLKDG gave me a work around for the read-only [oops! ] issue.  Thank you thank you thank you for expressing empathy with my day.  I was going to put a serious dent in this project today but it wasn't meant to be.  You and your colleagues have gone a long way towards healing it - Especially with the phone contacts folks comment - hey take an acting course so you don't 'sound' like you're reading but I would remember what I read anyway[:'(]. It's just hard to deal with that y'know when you really need help.  They make you feel uck!  Like we would call before reading!   Can't deal so I will also be registering on that new site you gave me with pleasure and confidence and will get back to you with all the details - hopefully to help other people too. 

It's funny you should mention Media Composer - this project should give me enough money to upgrade and buy Media Composer.  In fact that is one of the purposes of this project to be able to afford Media Composer.  That is exactly my plan.  Yes, I understand this is budget but it's still a neat editor good for a lot - if you can keep your stuff!  I love Media Composer for some reason.  Took a class on it.  Can't wait to get it.  I won't be long on Pinnacle - just get me through this project.  All of you have been so wonderful with your help because now I know, it's cuts and dissolves and I don't have to worry about being fancy.  This project will support that.  Great post for me!  I'll let you know what happens...for sure.  I actually feel much better now.  I was sick this morning!  Thank you so much!

Zena

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:16 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help - thing is, I haven't used Studio for at least 8 years now,  although I am sort of involved with it in other ways. I am well aware of its weaknesses as well as its strengths.  It is a good editor - and 'in my day' I was known for pushing the envelope, trying to get more out of Studio than it was seemingly capable of.  But it has changed considerably since those days - not the UI so much as what is under the bonnet. 

I wouldn't put too much on the fact that one project saves OK and the next one doesn't - there are lots of reasons why that could happen:  maybe length of movie, maybe even the source files.  I had a movie on one occasion where the project was for ever shutting down Studio, effects weren't working properly, etc etc.  In the end, I recaptured the AVI file - and all went smoothly after that.  Why?  Maybe the original capture produced a corrupt or damaged AVI file.  I had another AVI file - of a 4:3 movie - that, during capture, flipped regularly back and forward from 4:3 to 16:9, and was totally unusable.  Long email conversations with the Studio engineers (whose ear I had at that time) resulted in me sending them the tape for analysis.  I never got the tape back, nor heard of the reason or a cure for the problem, although it was discussed fairly frequently.

I think you are making an incredible move if you go from Studio to MC:  its good that the MC 'ways' haven't phased you out.  You won't regret making the move, but you may possibly find the learning curve a bit long since MC has none of the 'apparent' intuitivity and 'automation' built (deliberately) into Studio.  I moved to MC from Liquid, and still on occasion find myself trying to do things the 'Liquid way' - old habits are hard to get rid of!

Good luck:  I hope it doesn't come down to you having to re-create your projects (I have had to do that several times when using Studio - and it is gut-wrenching because you find yourself trying to remember - and redo - what you did 'last time'.  If it does come down to that, take my tip - start totally from fresh - do it all again from scratch and forget what you did before.  I can almost guarantee you'll get an  even better result! 

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 7 2010 2:07 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

BLKDOG:

Tomas (I keep trying to put an "H" in his name) is "mjolnarn". An excellent contributor to these forums but he has been on MC far longer than most of our Pinnacle converts here. With the recen

I was asleep up here in the cold north when you posted this Todd, from the moment I read this when I woke up this morning, I blushed and still am Embarrassed

About the external drives, that seems to be the prob, reading fast through this thread, they seem to be only fw connected, they don´t happen to be daisy-chained or connected to the same bus, this can also cause those probs. 

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 2:26 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I appreciate all your help Tomas.

Zena, by now you should have heard from Marianna who will be following up on the problems with the Chat on the pinnacle forums and the guys here have you well in hand so I will be signing off of the thread. I'll keep monitoring in case you need further help but it looks as if you are on your way. Good luck and know that we're here to help once you make the move up to MC.

Take care,

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 2:17 AM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Mike - great post for me thank you!  I know about that MC learning curve.  I took a 6 week course on it and I'd like to duplicate it twice more which is why I chose and editor with the 'deliberately' built things in it. 

Long email conversations with the Studio engineers (whose ear I had at that time) resulted in me sending them the tape for analysis.  I never got the tape back, nor heard of the reason or a cure for the problem, although it was discussed fairly frequently. - Yup.  Familiar with this too.  I wanted something where I could be totally independent.  Guess the joke's on me hunh?

I hope it doesn't come down to you having to re-create your projects (I have had to do that several times when using Studio - [no no no - no can do/very important answer for me]

and it is gut-wrenching because you find yourself trying to remember - and redo - what you did 'last time'.  If it does come down to that, take my tip - start totally from fresh - do it all again from scratch and forget what you did before.  I can almost guarantee you'll get an  even better result!  - Yes, I am going to have to totally recreate.  I can't take the chance or the down time again - I have a limited amount of time to get this done and now it looks like I'm not doing anything.  It was too good to be true.  Thanks for the advice.  Thanks for reminding me that I'll get an even better result.  Yes - I was sick.  Gut-wrenching?  You got that right.  I can only deal with surviving this experience one last time.  I been losing things for a month and thinking it my learning curve.  I can't create knowing it won't be there when I get back through no fault of my own - it's like opening your front door and your house gutted and robbed.  I'm downloading another editor as someone suggested and starting from scratch there.  I do so appreciate your share.  I thought I felt better yesterday and now I feel even better hearing your story.  I won't forget you.  I'll probably talk to you again someday when I'm struggling with MC.  lolSmile.

Best Zena

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 2:21 AM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Blkdog - Thank God you were here!  Words cannot express my appreciation.  I was literally physically ill and didn't even realize it until you guys helped out and I got past the problem about 9p last night est.  I told my friend about you and she said you all were 'miraculous' so I thought I'd share that. 

Yes, I'll speak to Marianna.

Be talkin' to you...

Zena

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:55 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Zena - I think you have made a good decision to find (temporarily of course!) a different editor to complete your projects.  Studio is good, and feature rich - but with all that, it is really designed to turn holiday and family event movies into something 'special', and for that - and the 'non-editor' type of home user, it is superb. So much so, one can be lulled into the impression that Studio is also very robust 'under the bonnet' for more sophisticated work: it will and can do such work - but without the degree of control and reliability of a mid-range editor. 

It is a shame in some ways that Liquid is no longer available - that would have served your purpose well. On the other hand, the demise of Liquid is the reason why I (and many others) are here - with an unbelievable upgrade offer to MC - and boy, am I happy about that.  I thought Liquid was the bees knees - but MC leaves it standing.  MC has virtually no 'automation' and is not windows-like (IMO) in its usage (though I think MC5 may be a bit different from the sound of it), but the learning curve is worth every second.  Do re-visit MC when you get time. 

Not sure I would be the right person to ask for help with MC problems though!  You should see some of the dumb questions I have been asking around here about it!  (On second thoughts, perhaps not - some a bit embarrassing!). The team here will see you through any MC problem - quite unlike any other forum I have ever seen.  Very comforting when you're on that learning curve!

• Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:53 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

All this kind of goes back to a vacancy of $299~$700 product in Avid's portfolio.

Speaking as a Liquid user, I am extremely grateful to all participating and facilitating in the opportunity we were given to move up to MC. Adjustments (yes, enhancements) in MC5's GUI should ease the excessive thumbs condition newcomers sometimes experience. 

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 4 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller