Latest post Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:53 PM by TVJohn. 58 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:04 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Pinnacle Crisis

Thanks guys.

Zena, John and Davilex are two of the users I mentioned. I have also asked Mike Shaw to look in on this thread as he can offer help as well.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:14 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 5 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Davilex - the Pinnacle forum won't let me in.  Says I have to wait 48 hours for a reply.  I went there first.  Do you know of a user group? 

Are you saying that I should edit on C and then save to the external drive?  should I change my operating system?

What do you think about the read files?  That's not corrupt.  How do I get to properties in Windows?  I don't use USB.  Everything's on firewire and no drives have been shut down.  There is no delayed writing.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:14 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:18 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

TVJohn - alters permissions for files?

OK but this morning it was two back to back edits

and the read thing -all on the same drive but interesting concept

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

The Pinnacle forums do appear to be offline. I'll try to see if I can find someone who may know how to reach them.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:26 PM In reply to

• Bernd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • De Wijk / The Netherlands
    • Posts 253
    • Points 3,390

zena:
    Davilex - the Pinnacle forum won't let me in.  Says I have to wait 48 hours for a reply.  I went there first.  Do you know of a user group? 
    No, I don't. And strange that they have a delay of 48 hours before they grant you access ......

zena:
    Are you saying that I should edit on C and then save to the external drive?  should I change my operating system?
    No, my message was to only use internal hard disks, which can be many as long as these are internally connected. I got the impression that you used external HDD.

zena:
    What do you think about the read files?  That's not corrupt.  How do I get to properties in Windows?  I don't use USB.  Everything's on firewire and no drives have been shut down.  There is no delayed writing.
    Then the root cause is something else. In Windows Explorer you can view the properties of any file and see if it is read only or read-write. Click with the right mouse button on the suspected file, then select properties.

Overall the idea from TV John (virus) might be feasable. But a corrupted Studio installation is also a possibility.

Please check this as well, maybe of help: link

BR/Bernd

MC 5.5.3 | QT 7.6.9 | Win7 Ult 64x | Asus P8Z68-V PRO | Intel i7-2600k | Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | Graphics Card ATI4870x2 2GB | C-drive 128GB SSD CRUCIAL... [view my complete system specs]

Learning by Doing Smile

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:29 PM In reply to

• Bernd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • De Wijk / The Netherlands
    • Posts 253
    • Points 3,390

BLKDOG:

The Pinnacle forums do appear to be offline. I'll try to see if I can find someone who may know how to reach them.

It is not off-line but extremely slow. It helps to hit F5 several times (refresh)...... Geeked

MC 5.5.3 | QT 7.6.9 | Win7 Ult 64x | Asus P8Z68-V PRO | Intel i7-2600k | Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | Graphics Card ATI4870x2 2GB | C-drive 128GB SSD CRUCIAL... [view my complete system specs]

Learning by Doing Smile

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:33 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Zena,

As I recall, if a Studio file becomes corrupt, there is almost no way to open it. I recommend that every hour of editing work, you output what you have finished to a file, for SD usually an AVI.

I haven't used Studio for over 5 years now, so I am going to have to think about this...I would not waste time start a new project, there may be no way to recover lost projects.

Instead of working on an hour long project all at once break it down into 15 minute pieces, output to an AVI then assemble it in a fifth project. You do not need to capture for each project, the files will be on your media drive.

I would not use USB for media or render drives, use internal.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• zena
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 315

Windows Explorer you can view the properties of any file and see if it is read only or read-write. Click with the right mouse button on the suspected file, then select properties.

Now here's something interesting.  It only gives me read only or hidden.  There is no write option when I went in.  What's interesting is there are additional files I didn't save.  I have two sets of files that are read only of the 4 I can open who have pinnacle files duplicates with the same name which as I say I can open and only the read files without duplicates [that I might add I save after every edit - previous pain] I cannot open.  Now one project I built last week and saved because it had a lot of effects - I opened and the project is GONE.  I'm going to look at the corrupted installation and I'll get back to you.

Yes - you're right.  All my drives except C are external.  So should I edit on C and then save to the external drive???

Overall the idea from TV John (virus) might be feasable. But a corrupted Studio installation is also a possibility.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:54 PM In reply to

• macgina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • Northern California
    • Posts 39
    • Points 505

I have had previous experience with hard drives going bad on me, not failing completely so that there isn't a drive there, but failing by not reading/writing properly.  Some times there can be bad spots on the drive.  It is deceptive because it sometimes looks as though the program has quit working the way it used to.

Zena, you might want to run a disk diagnostice program against this drive to verify that it is working properly.  I have used HD Tune in the past.  

Just one more thing to check.....

Hope this helps.

John 

Shooting 4K with Sony FDR-AX100 & Panasonic WX970; MC 8.7 on Intel i7 6950X 3.6GHz, 16GB memory on GigaByte X99, GTX1080, and SoundBlaster Z, Pioneer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:55 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

This applies to almost any edit system:

C drive OS and programs

D drive : Render files, page files

F drive Media storage

USB  drives are recommended for long term storage of media and finished work...

When people enter this business, there is a tendency to use their every day PC for this work. Very quickly this leads to problems due to substandard hardware, conflicting programs, and at some point malware.

The most reliable answer is to treat the editing pc as a purpose device, not used for internet access other than to activate software, then disconnected.

The less software installed on this pc, the less problems that are likely to crop up. 

>>>>is there adequate free space on your drives?

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:58 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

I'm not sure if this applies but here is a post from Pinnacle's forum that help a pinnacle user to open files that were previously locked.

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,151
    • Points 217,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hello Zena,

Sorry I have not added any comments to this thread yet.
    I have been asleep in Japan while the thread has been going on.

For my part you are correct when you say:

zena:
    I don't know why Liquid Users would know anything about Studio

I have never ever used or even seen Studio.

I don't know if Lew S has seen this thread yet, or if he has any experience of Studio. But when it comes to Liquid he is, without doubt, Guru No. 1

Without knowing about Studio, I think that those who are now helping you are probably on the right track in suggesting corrupt projects etc.

Sorry I really can't help you on this at all.

Good luck,

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:22 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

OK, I've read through this thread, and can see what the problem is all about. 

First though, I think you should be aware that Pinnacle Studio is designed to be a Home Movie editor.  The fact that it is capable of producing saleable work is a credit to its designers.  However, it is not designed to be as robust as the mid range editors - or indeed, a 20-30 times more expensive top of the range editor like Media Composer.  I am NOT suggesting you must upgrade, but I am saying that Studio isn't robust and is liable to all sorts of quirks and failures such as you have encountered - although of course, one should expect it to work problem free. 

In this case it doesn't seem quite so relevant, but when asking for help - either from a real live editor, as you are doing, or by suggestions from other experts in Studio, it helps to state which version you are using - Ultimate has been available with two versions of Studio as far as I'm aware.  However - neither should exhibit the problem you're having, so as i say that is not so relevant.

I concur with previous comments regarding the saving of projects to an external USB drive (which one assumes isn't set to FAT32!).  The fact that one project works and another doesn't may not be the fault of the program (Studio), but of other activity going on during the USB transfer.  It is all too easy for Studio files to become corrupted unfortunately.  As I said, it is not a robust program, and Studio's file management leaves a lot to be desired. To put it mildly.  Even Liquid, Studio's 'big brother', was pretty poor on project file management.

Right click on a file causing a problem, select 'Properties, and deselect the Read-Only box if it is checked: that may solve the issue, though I wouldn't bet on it.  See if you can find the '.scn' or stx file (depends on Studio version you're using) for your movie, make sure it isn't 'Read-Only' in the properties, right click and try 'Open With...' selecting your Pinnacle Studio.  That sxx file is the edl - from which the timeline is constructed.  It may then be possible to re-link your movioe files to that edl, though I have to say, again, that is not an easy task with Studio.

You mentioned in one of your posts "I transferred that file over to the terabyte drive and I left the 'read me' files on the E drive'

As I mentioned, Studio is not good at file management - transferring files to another location could easily have meant that the link with other assets has been lost. I'm not sure what 'that file' is - a good one that works, or one that doesn't.  So -  Another thing you can try is to move the files back to their exact original locations.  A faint possibility that may work.

(Incidentally - by 'Read-me' I have assumed you mean 'Read Only' - a read-Me file is really just a text file, and I'm sure even Studio wouldn't convert its film making files to text files!).

I'm sure none of this has really helped very much - I can feel your panic and despair.  Sadly, I can only report that Studio is that kind of beast - fine for easy, no messing about' stuff which if allowed to do its own thing, can pass muster, although it is now provided with an amazing suite of plug-ins that makes it seem very capable.  But do bear in mind that it is a low priced entry-level editor (even with the bells and whistles) and although it should of course work 'as advertised', its a bit like taking a bumper car onto the motorway/autoroute/highway. 

I don't have Studio on any of my machines any more - but I am sure in the Settings area one could specify which drives should be used for captures, projects and renders (or am I thinking of Liquid here?): worth checking of course.

Finally - here is a forum of very friendly people, like this one, who concentrate mainly on Pinnacle Studio and its foibles.  - 

http://videofriends.goldenpenproductions.com/default.asp

You will have to register and so on, but they are a friendly mob there, and there are quite a few very erudite Studio editors with plenty of knowledge and experience - so one of them may well have met with your problem and solved it.  I haven't encountered that problem.

I saw your comment about the 'Pinnacle phone contact' person reading answers from a book ... yes, I am afraid that is very much the case as has been reported before.  It is a budget editor, and my guess is the help desk is staffed by non-editor people armed with the manual and an 'FAQ list.  Bit like a call centre, and not a bit like Avid support for the high end products.

I do hope you resolve the problem - and would definitely be interested to hear the outcome!

Good luck.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,151
    • Points 217,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike,

Thanks for stepping in here and adding that extensive list of helpful suggestions to those that others have posted.
    I hope that this helps Zena get things up and running again.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 3 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller