Latest post Tue, May 25 2010 2:37 PM by LewS. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 21 2010 4:04 PM

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 6 2006
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Man! Am i not happy with this process.

Believing everyones posts, & I am not disbeievingthem for a moment, that the upgrade from Liqid to Media Composer is 'a gift', i finally went ahead & ordered 2 copies to dover the 2 license i have of Liquid. That was my first mistake. Sinceit put the order >$1000 AUD, i then had to pay duty & tax to get the shipment released from cusotms in Australia! In hind sight, this was the point i shoud have rejected the shipment & sought a refund.

Thinkning it would be sinsible to wait for v5 to be released, ithoughti would not immediatley instal v4, but wait for v5 in a few weeks time. Well, I attended the Post NAB Show that was presented in Sydeny thsi week, lo \7 behold, the major braggingpoints of MC v5 intruce advanced features that WE ahve been using & taken for grnated in Liquid for years! eg a sterio track on timeline, sync of A & V tracks on timeline, etc. So what have these poor dumbwits been puttin up withbefor e this new 'upgrade version' it looks to me that MCv5 is a ctach up to Liquid!!!!!

BUT,my main complaint, is that after attending the Post NAB experience, i decided to install the version 405 instead of waiting for vb5 to release. I isntalled it 2 nights ago. NExt day i tried to use it. It wanted activation, of course. aCtivation failed, ifinally worked out it though it was already activated, & would only let me proceed with a 'trial' activation, whtich had 1 day to run. So today? I still cannot activate the product, i canont run it as a trila since it is expired after 1 day, & so i have avery expensive door stop.

Ihave tried to contact support, but it seems you have to pay for a support contract!!!

I have contacted the local suport in Australia & they have not returned my call/messagees.

I have contacted the online store & they point me to a phone no in USA (really helpful NOT) & a link to a suport page that requires a login, so i try to login, failure, try to create a new login, it says you already have a login, login- failure. and around we go again. 

Man, I'm thinking this is as bad as MicrostUff.

Does AVID want us to user their software, or use this big box of books & disk to keep the door closed in a storm????

Thoughts?

System1 (I7-1). MC8.1, Squeeze9 Pro, Win7ProX64, ASUS X79 mobo, Intel I7-3930K, 16GB RAM, SSD System + 5TB RAID5 video data, NVidia Quadro FX1800, BD Burner... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 21 2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,900
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Man! Am i pissed off with this process.

You need to contact Marianna. None of what you are saying is typical of the experience of other users. You can contact marianna at marianna.montague@avid.com.

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Fri, May 21 2010 4:29 PM In reply to

So, the root of your problem is that you can't activate it?  Have you read through this THREAD entitled:

"Are you having problems with Software Activation?"

You could start there.

Your other points, I'm not exactly sure what your beef is?  

Paul Sheaffe:
    i finally went ahead & ordered 2 copies to dover the 2 license i have of Liquid. That was my first mistake. Sinceit put the order >$1000 AUD

You bought two copies, at $495 each so yeah, it'll be ~$1000.

Paul Sheaffe:
    i then had to pay duty & tax to get the shipment released from cusotms in Australia! In hind sight, this was the point i shoud have rejected the shipment & sought a refund.

I'm not sure how other things are handled in AU, but it seems that receiving a shipment from the US would always incur a duty tax.  I don't know why having to pay this constitutes grounds for a refund.

Paul Sheaffe:
    So what have these poor dumbwits been puttin up withbefor e this new 'upgrade version' it looks to me that MCv5 is a ctach up to Liquid!!!!!

You haven't used MC yet.  I wouldn't judge too quickly.

I'm also not sure why the Trial only ran for 1 day, it should be 30.

Paul Sheaffe:
    Ihave tried to contact support, but it seems you have to pay for a support contract!!!

You don't need a support contract for Activation issues, were you specifically told that you needed a support contract? Call the 800 number and follow the menu options.   

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 21 2010 5:11 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,487
    • Points 62,205
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Paul Sheaffe:

Thinkning it would be sinsible to wait for v5 to be released, ithoughti would not immediatley instal v4, but wait for v5 in a few weeks time. Well, I attended the Post NAB Show that was presented in Sydeny thsi week, lo \7 behold, the major braggingpoints of MC v5 intruce advanced features that WE ahve been using & taken for grnated in Liquid for years! eg a sterio track on timeline, sync of A & V tracks on timeline, etc. So what have these poor dumbwits been puttin up withbefor e this new 'upgrade version' it looks to me that MCv5 is a ctach up to Liquid!!!!!

Thoughts?

I understand your frustration -- computers can send you off the deep end sometimes if you let 'em. ;)

But...in order to understand the "structure" of Media Composer and why the new functionality is newsworthy, you have to understand the history of the product in terms of its being the long standing, high-end standard. The requirements of a high-end facility for producing movies such as Avatar vs the low-end wedding video producer are vastly different. At the high end, the editors want a fast, powerful editor with superior media management. They typically leave the audio to another facility, typically with Pro Tools...another separate facility for 3d modeling, etc., another for special effects, and yet another facility for finishing. This is the environment from which Media Composer comes. Competition has forced the developers to add functionality which serves the independent producer...and that is a good thing. Previous attempts resulted in a convoluted product umbrella, which has been "streamlined" via the "New Thinking" campaign.

Nevertheless, you will find that Media Composer is unmatched in its power and speed. You are entering a different world and you will have to deal with a new learning curve. The benefits will far outweigh the challenges.

Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2021.12 Pro Tools 2021... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 21 2010 7:13 PM In reply to

Paul:

As others have pointed out, your issue is easily corrected by either

(1) Making a phone call to 1-800-800-2843 which is free for software activation issues

or

(2) Contacting Avid Customer Advocate Marianna.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 22 2010 2:32 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,395

Larry Rubin:
    (1) Making a phone call to 1-800-800-2843 which is free for software activation issues

This is not a free call from any other country, except for within the United States.- unless this is Avid Australia.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Sat, May 22 2010 2:39 AM In reply to

Well, in any event we all know that an email to Marianna will get guaranteed results, no matter where in the world the help needs to go. And it will get done FAST.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, May 23 2010 12:20 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,600

Re: Man! Am i not happy with this process.

dude, is your keyboard working properly when you put this post up?

I too upgraded from Liquid to MC & I live in Australia my package came from the US (online store)

I was NEVER charged any import duty tax! so I don't know what the story is with your charges? remember your shipping charge is $130 plus ontop of the whole 'final price' is the currency conversion from US to AUD, my purchase after shipping, currency conversion, was $638.00 AUD (factor this in as well)

the activation of MC is really quite easy, those big door stopper books you talk about tell you how to do this! (the smaller one, its called 'activating your MC software' or somethin like that or 'quick start guide' its called)

*I dont understand your activation problem you say you installed it '2 nights ago', and that it was allready 'trial activated' then you say it only has 1 day left???? I trial doesnt last for only 3 days? I dont get it?

your account problem, The only problem I had was with the new master account it would not link to my main account to link everything up, this was all fix within 1 day! by.....you guessed it Marianna!!!! upon linking up ALL your accounts do not change your passwords!

As someone has said 'dont be quick to judge MC if you have barely used it...once you have mastered MC you will never look back!!!! by the sounds of it your gonna hate this process! 'the drag & drop editing your talking about aint' that great I did it with liquid for 6 years & I used the correct editing tools in liquid as well, the MC way of editing is much better then liquid, take the time to learn how to use it!!!  you will not regret it!!!!!

• Sun, May 23 2010 2:12 PM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Hey Guys, thankyou for you responses. I still dont have it working (it is the weekend) but have calmed down & got over it by spending a wonderful weekend with my daughter. However, come tomorrow, i will likely be cross again. :(

Yes my keyboard was working ok, but my brain might not have been that late at night as i typed. It is a matter of Australian import law that cost me.

Yes i am totally frustrated with the process, but will survive.

Please lets just find a solution.

I have emailed to Marianna, so hope it will be all good tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

System1 (I7-1). MC8.1, Squeeze9 Pro, Win7ProX64, ASUS X79 mobo, Intel I7-3930K, 16GB RAM, SSD System + 5TB RAID5 video data, NVidia Quadro FX1800, BD Burner... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 23 2010 2:22 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,600

No probs mate, yes these things can really be fustrating! Marianna is the girl to talk to, avid have the best support ever! I've dealt with many other NLE companies over the years avid is the best Im not kidding I send an email to Marianna I got a response in 5mins!!!!!!!!!! she was onto it and got it all sorted for me she is awesome! she'll be able to fix everything for you! & kids awesome eh! I have 2 little ones my self!

with the import law, maybe its becuase you had 2 copies come in? I'm not sure?

all I know is that I didnt get charged any extra at all! (only one copy is what I ordered though)

• Sun, May 23 2010 2:35 PM In reply to

• PaulsProd
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,785

Yes, agree, Marianna has just read my email of this evening. It's sunday night here in Sydney, sunday sometime in USA i suppose. If she's as good as everyone says, is she married or have a boyfriend?  :)

And yes, exactly the cause of the customs issues were because i bought 2 copies, there is a limit of $1000AUD before duty & tax are applied.

• Mon, May 24 2010 8:59 AM In reply to

• zck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Posts 40
    • Points 510

lucky you..NZ has limit of NZ$400 so i got binged on the tax. Win some, lose some :)

Intel Quad Q6600 CPU, Asus P5K Motherboard, 2 Gig DDR2-800 Ram,Nvidia 8800GT, LG 22" Widescreen Monitor. Windows 764bit, MC5

• Tue, May 25 2010 1:08 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,900
    • Moderator: MCA PC

To the OP... were your issues resolved?

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Tue, May 25 2010 2:16 PM In reply to

• Hugh Moore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 29 2010
    • South Australia
    • Posts 44
    • Points 570

Paul, we have a free trade agreement with USA, so you shouldnt have had to pay Duty, only GST.

MC 8.3.1 MB: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Video: Nvidia GeForce GTX750 RAM: 12 GB Windows 10 Boot Drive: SSD Monitors: Dual User: Hobbyist [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 25 2010 2:30 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hi Paul,

I am also able to help if you should need it. I wanted to let you know that you do not need a support contract to activate your software. There is an option when you call in to support that will allow you to get to a rep for activation free of charge.

In the States it's option #2. Not sure of the Asia Pac support line choice but I do know it's there.

Thanks,

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller